Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 10:24 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times

Advertisements

My cats have two big litter tubs.
Each tub holds 40 lbs. of litter.
I scoop five or six times a day and add litter when needed.
When 120 lbs. of litter have been used in each tub, I clean them and start over.
This cycle usually takes about two or three weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 10:29 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Regarding wet vs dry food, I have read on a few cat sites (probably the same ones linked to previously), that cats don't have a high thirst drive, thus the importance of a wet diet. My own cat gets raw meat and bones, occasionally canned food. And that water dish looks like it's rarely touched.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:39 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Regarding wet vs dry food, I have read on a few cat sites (probably the same ones linked to previously), that cats don't have a high thirst drive, thus the importance of a wet diet. My own cat gets raw meat and bones, occasionally canned food. And that water dish looks like it's rarely touched.
You may want to start a new thread about diet since this is a litter thread. A totally different subject.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:15 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
You may want to start a new thread about diet since this is a litter thread. A totally different subject.
Well duh... I know what this thread is about, and I know it's a totally different subject. I commented on previous posts. Why didn't you call those out?

Old 12-25-2012, 02:01 PM

16 posts, read 39,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
My cats have two big litter tubs.
Each tub holds 40 lbs. of litter.
I scoop five or six times a day and add litter when needed.
When 120 lbs. of litter have been used in each tub, I clean them and start over.
This cycle usually takes about two or three weeks.
Wow - that's a LOT of litter! Okay, you win! Anyone dealing with that much litter is the designated Subject Matter Expert.

Forget the domestic short hairs - 120 lbs of litter . . . you must have lions:-)

Last edited by Miltons_Mommy; 12-25-2012 at 02:23 PM..

Old 12-25-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Your vet doesn't know much about feline nutrition. Don't feel bad, most vets don't. There is a thread in this forum about all the male cats who have had to have Perineal Urethrostomy (PU) surgery, because of urinary blockages. You know what causes these blockages? Dry food.

You say you want the best for Milton. Please, do read the web site Lola linked in the post above. Written by a vet who has pretty much made it her life's work to help people feed their cats (obligate carnivores) a proper diet.

Since you are concerned about litter box habits, especially read this section

Feline Urinary Tract Health: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: cat urinary tract health

You admit you don't know much about cats yet. One of the most important things you need to learn is that cats are obligate carnivores. They need meat, and the moisture that comes from meat, to thrive. Dry food is absolutely the worst thing you can feed your male cat.

You'll see a lot more pee in the box feeding a wet diet, and that is a good thing. Means the bladder and kidneys are keeping well flushed.

You're giving incredibly BAD advice. You don't know my vet, so you have no idea what her background is . And you've never examined my cat, so you don't know why the vet would recommend what she did.

Sorry - not listening to you anymore. You're dangerous

Old 12-25-2012, 03:56 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltons_Mommy View Post
...120 lbs of litter . . . you must have lions...
120 lbs. x 2 tubs, so they actually use 240 lbs.

They're not lions, just sweet little kitties.

But there are ten of them.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:08 PM

You must love them a lot. 240 lbs of litter - wow. Just WOW. That's a LOT of scooping. And pooping.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:02 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Well duh... I know what this thread is about, and I know it's a totally different subject. I commented on previous posts. Why didn't you call those out?
Don't get your panties in a wad. I thought you'd get a bigger and better response if you started a separate thread. EXCUSE me for trying to be helpful.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,209 times
I clean my litter box 2xday but I'm going back to clay litter because he got the clumping all hardened and embedded in his paws. and it gets tracked all over the room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats