Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 09:44 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEH View Post
FF has salt as an ingredient, any gourmet or dr prescribed would not add this in.
The salt is obviously not excessive. My cat certainly doesn't drink much water. This isn't uncommon in cats; many get sufficient water from their food.

Animals require salt just as people do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,490 times
My female black oriental cat obtained from a shelter is a FF addict. I was putting dry FF out for her all day long and occasionally giving her a can once in a while. Now I am cutting that down. I have the Mega Littermaid litter box and it is designed supposedly for more than one cat and should last them a week, but she eats and poops all day long, and it is full within a day! Today I put the FF dry up and away from her after she ate. I read somewhere where Veterinarians say that one should only feed a cat once or twice a day and that continuous eating as she is doing, is a habit. She is old now, around 21 or 22 human years, my current vet says to let her do what she wants. I am going to observe the advice I read, it was a while ago though and I was hoping to see it here on this posting but it wasn't. I will put the bowl of dry down twice a day now and if she is good give her a can of FF in addition to this. I should mention that when she fills up the litter box she then takes it out on me if it isn't emptied right away! She poops on my bed, or will puke up hairballs, well her version which is not ball shaped all over my kitchen floor. Having been feral, she is a bully and tries to make me do what she wants. Sometimes my son says she is in charge of me... So my advice, fill a cat feeding bowl with FF dry if that is what you use and put it down, when the cat finishes put it up and then later in the day put it down again following the same process. My cat is not finicky about what she eats but loves FF dry and canned and will finish the whole can in one sitting where she will eat a little of other brands and come back later for more till it is gone. She only eats fish flavored though. If I use any other flavor she will nibble it and then turn her nose up on it, usually. I also make sure she has plenty of water. People are right, if they don't have water they will eat more of the canned. We too do that, sometimes when we feel hungry it is because we need water. To lose weight when I first feel hunger pains, I drink a glass of water, it helps me.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:24 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I mix Jasper's food, with one can of water. He loves it this way. And ends up drinking more water.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:24 PM

7,097 posts, read 4,823,070 times
Wow. My cat won't touch Fancy Feast. Only canned he will touch (other than licking the gravy off) is Meow Mix, Salmon and Crab Meat in Sauce. Only dry food he can eat without vomitting is Purina Indoor.

And yes, he's a Fatt Catt.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:47 PM

218 posts, read 544,460 times
My cats are Fancy Feast addicts as well. I do give them Science Diet Hairball for kibble but otherwise it's FF for the can food and they get that twice a day. I split a single can three ways for their wet food and add a tablespoon of water to each third. And they like a variety, but they won't eat anything Grilled or Shredded. It's only the Pate-like texture that they like or "CLASSIC". I tried giving them store brand, Meow Mix, even Science Diet can food - *anything* so I could have an alternative, but to no avail. I had switched them for a while to FF Dry Food only and tried to free feed but they would constantly eat ALL day long and were poop monsters.

My biggest thing is trying to make sure they stay hydrated. That's the reason why I give them the wet food and add the water. My last two cats NEVER wanted to drink water. I tried all kinds of fountains, fresh water, etc. Even now two of them don't seem as hydrated as they could be, IMHO.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:13 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Aside from the obesity issue, I'd be happy my cat ate any canned food. There are only a couple of varieties of FF that our cat will eat, and only when he feels like it.

At least yours isn't addicted to kitty crack.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:18 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maincoon View Post
I have a neutered male cat who is addicted to Fancy Feast. He meows meows until I open a can. I don't mind giving him FF but he is very fat. If I don't give in, he would sit in front of me with a sad face and meows until he gets the food. It is very annoying but I just don't know how to fix his behaviors.

Do you have any suggestions?
Lol! Looks like the cat has you well-trained.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:16 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
My new cat Sophie who came from a shelter will only eat Friskies dry food & only that blue one (fish). That is what the shelter told me and they were so right. Not even the Fussy Cat Savories from Royal Canin will tempt The Empress.

She does eat at least a can of food a day, though : Friskies Rise & Shine (eggs and chicken).

My old beloved cat would only eat cat treats and that is how she came from the shelter too. She would not even try turkey from the deli.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-14-2013, 03:24 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
One of many sites that rate Fancy Feast as one of the worse foods on the market.
Bad Cat Food: Worst to Best Cat Food Ingredients and Nutrients
This link doesn't work.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,321 times
My cat was diagnosed with diabetes about a month ago. The vet wanted me to give her science diet dry food only. I did some research and found that the Fancy Feast Classics have low carbs and are the most reasonable priced. So I did an experiment and tried it with both of my cats. Within 7 days of the new diet - only FF Classics (1/2 a can for each cat 3 times a day) and no dry food) - my diabetic cat stopped drinking all of the time and peeing constantly. My other cat (who is healthy as far as I know) stopped asking for water from the sink every time I was in the bathroom. It's an amazing transformation and worked quickly for me. I couldn't believe it! My cats have both lost a little weight so far as well. I've only been doing this for about a month now, but I'm sold! A big thank you to all of the people who have done the research about what's best to feed a diabetic kitty!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats