Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:00 AM

378 posts, read 1,652,501 times

Advertisements

How is Buzz today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 08:27 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
Buzz is standing on my desk doing his best to keep me from being able to type.

He is actually doing pretty well today. He even came downstairs to wait for me to get back from walking the dog, something he never does. I think it was the 3rd time he has come down the stairs since he moved in 2 months ago.

Being on such a strong steroid he is ravenous, so he is eating well.

He was a little less than amused with me when I gave him 2 shots this morning but his forgiving nature has taken over already.

For anyone who missed meeting Buzz when I got him here are a couple of pics.

Saving my seat

Napping with Shadow

Old 01-13-2009, 08:52 AM

295 posts, read 1,213,496 times
Racelady -
Buzz is a cutie-patootie! Hopefully he was just constipated, but you may want to ask your vet if there's a possibility or likelihood of megacolon. Stool impaction can impinge on the spinal cord and adversely affect mobility. Feeding mostly canned food helps with motility due to its higher water content.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:27 AM

shroom we did talk about his colon. It looks really good on the x-ray. Buzz has IBD and canned food goes through him like water. I suppose that would be better than not going through at all, he was not a happy camper after his, ahem, procedure yesterday.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:42 AM

Poor baby.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:09 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
Buzz is a sweetie. I know you mentioned IBD. I'll post this website again. It's a great one on cat nutrition and I try and post it as often as possible to get the word out. Dr. Pierson had success with raw food on her cat Robbie who had IBD.

Feeding Your Cat** Know the Basi

Old 01-13-2009, 10:14 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
He is adorable! So cute napping with the dog.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:57 AM

What a cutie pie.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:31 AM

114 posts, read 318,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Not much.

His x-rays were beautiful, mine should look so good.

Nothing broken or dislocated and nothing growing on his spine.

They gave him an enema and some antibiotics and some steroids. I brought him home then went to work. I just got home & am very happy to report that he is walking! Not quite his normal walk, but walking none the less.

You may want to Google the effects of steroids on cats and discontinue as soon as possible. I use Slippery Elm Bark powder and have for years on my two Siamese girls - one of whom has IBD and the other who has the worst kind of heart disease, HCM. Whenever they get in a bad place and aren't eating/drinking/pooping or whatever, giving them a syringe (I use the tiny, 1ml total size you can get from your vet) into the side (not into the throat, which can go directly into their trachea - harmful) of their mouths. Both of mine have to be wrapped up in a towel and one of us gently holds their head, while the other administers the Slippery Elm liquid. They hate us for a few minutes for the indignity, but then come purring over to us after they realise how good they feel after a dose of it! You can get the powder at a health food store or order it online in capsules. Take maybe a Tablespoon of the powder to 1/3 cup boiling water and mix and keep in the fridge. To administer, I warm it slightly on a low power in my microwave (test with your finger to make sure not too hot!) and then suck it up from a tiny bowl into your syringe. I give the full 1ml syringe at least 3x at a sitting, if we can get it into them. It's a messy job - they shake their heads, getting it all over you, but it's safe, cheap and often saves me a vet visit. Enemas often have nasty ingredients that are detrimental to our kitties' health in them. With my two, I have to be extra careful. Keep the syringes clean and you can reuse them a long time. Slippery Elm is good for keeping them hydrated when they've nauseaous, has some nutritional value, and helps with constipation over a couple of days. You can give it as long as you feel the need - I've never heard of any side effects. Hope this is of help and your buddy feels much better by now. But watch the steroid use, tho - vets are pretty free with them and they shouldn't be.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:42 AM

Thanks reindeerlady. Our course of steroids is done. We took our last dose on Friday. We all have our fingers crossed that whatever it was does not come back.

Long term effects were not a concern for us, as we would likely have had to say goodbye to Buzz if we could not get him walking. He is old already. Our number one concern was getting him walking.

If there was someone here to help me administer oral meds it would be easier, but it is just me. I have yet to find a towel or blanket that will allow me by myself to keep him still and be able to dose at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats