Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 12:55 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,493,450 times

Advertisements

Animals Still Suffer at Iams

For nearly 10 months in 2002 and early 2003, a PETA investigator worked undercover at Sinclair Research Center, a laboratory hired by Iams, and discovered a dark and sordid secret beneath the wholesome image of the dog- and cat-food manufacturer. Dogs had gone crazy because they were confined to barren steel cages and cement cells, dogs were left piled on a filthy paint-chipped floor after chunks of muscle had been hacked from their thighs, dogs were surgically debarked, and horribly sick dogs and cats were neglected and left in cages to suffer without any veterinary care.

Footage shows that Iams representatives toured the facility and witnessed dogs who were circling in their cells and sweltering in the summer heat. Iams knew the truth yet did nothing to protect the animals.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture investigated PETA's complaint and agreed that the laboratory had failed to provide veterinary care and pain relief to suffering animals, failed to provide animals with adequate space, and failed to train employees—along with nearly 40 other violations of the federal Animal Welfare Act. Sinclair Research Center paid a penalty of $33,000 for its violations.

More here:
Why Iams? | IamsCruelty.com

Last edited by Lola4; 01-24-2009 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: To fix links.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 05:10 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,954,398 times
If this is true, people need to boycott IAMS. About 5 years ago I had heard a negative report on IAMS and emailed them about my concerns. I also told them I was going to post what I found out on pet bulletin boards. They wrote me back saying they were taking steps to make changes in testing etc.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:39 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
If this is true, people need to boycott IAMS. About 5 years ago I had heard a negative report on IAMS and emailed them about my concerns. I also told them I was going to post what I found out on pet bulletin boards. They wrote me back saying they were taking steps to make changes in testing etc.
This is that same info of 5 years ago. It's been circling around for quite some time now. Now, whether they have improved conditions or not is yet to be founded.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:58 AM

Yes, the info is old... 2002-2003. IF they changed, it is because they got caught. IMHO
I'm also a grudge holder.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:05 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Yes, the info is old... 2002-2003. IF they changed, it is because they got caught. IMHO
I'm also a grudge holder.
LOL...remind me to stay on your good side!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
LOL...remind me to stay on your good side!

Old 01-31-2009, 10:53 PM

947 posts, read 3,409,221 times
I have heard that much testing still occurs with Iams. And Iams is own by Procter and Gamble witch is a huge company that tests on animals like crazy, shampoo in bunny's eyes, etc etc etc. Horrible and unnecessary things as far as i am concerned. I am very compassionate about all animals, respect life of all creatures so i do not purchase things from these types of companies.
And re: Iams specificicly testing on animals, other cats and dogs, seems so wrong too. There is no need for this and there is also much better food choices out there, in my opinion!

Old 02-01-2009, 12:40 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,846,985 times
Yes, this is why I walk right past the Iams food in the store, and try not to get anything P&G.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:07 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,129 times
Even if they ever do cease their horrible acts, the ingredients in their foods, alone, are still sufficient reason to avoid them like the plague. I love Whole Foods stores because it's nice to be able to more conveniently boycott P&G (and Colgate) products altogether.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:22 PM

947 posts, read 3,409,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
Even if they ever do cease their horrible acts, the ingredients in their foods, alone, are still sufficient reason to avoid them like the plague. I love Whole Foods stores because it's nice to be able to more conveniently boycott P&G (and Colgate) products altogether.
Yup, I agree
Love Whole foods, don't always shop there, but I know (for the most part) what to avoid for my animal conscious mind!

Yes, the ingredients are bad news... never for my "kids"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats