Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 01:02 AM

464 posts, read 1,156,975 times

Advertisements

Bypassing alot of this thread I thought I'd tell the brief advice of my old country Vet regarding my big Wild 20+ pounder Tom cat who adopted me. "Big Boy" would from time to time come to me with a huge swollen "welt", once an ear, once a cheek, once a paw, etc. He'd be lethargic and warm. I'd rush him to the Vet and PAY out the wazoo to have him knocked out and the puncture wound lanced and cleaned and sown up and antibiotics etc..

These were claw punctures that immediately would fester, from him stand his ground and figthing off what ever crossed our acreage. (I never saw the "other guy" afterwards)

He'd be so sick so fast.
These trips were begining to add up cost wise and I hated to see him become so sick like that.

I said to the Vet, Doc what can I do about this?! It's so often anymore! He said Tia, you want to know how to stop this for real? I said yes!
He said, make him an Indoor cat, Period.

Of all the cats I've had in my life HE turned out to be the best Indoor cat ever! Even more than my "show cats"
He did, hog the bed tho
He'd go outside with me and back inside with me only. Getting him fixed helped curb the draw of the outside too.

IMHO, cats belong Indoors. Tho I know they are also a "work" animal, for many Farms and Barns.
The Barn I'm at now is the best ever for this. They've fixed all the cats, so no new litters etc. They feed adequately, water at all times, the cats have collars, get their vaccines etc. Catch the mice, have nice straw bedding, and because they are cared for they don't stray off onto other peoples property. They've got trees and pastures and many places to play and hunt. They've always been around dogs so they are not a threat to nor threatened by dogs at the Barn.

Most Barns aren't so great for small "pet" care.

Much of pet caring begins when they are small. If not small, most can learn with repetition of teaching. Over and over. Which takes work that many don't bother to do. They give up.

As for the De-clawing of cats. I learned like the other that it's a butcher job for cats. Many Vets these days are no longer doing this. OR will only do 2 paws.

BUT declawing is Not Necessary. There are methods to teach them to not do "scratching" and other methods that should be started asap with small cats-
Clipping with nail clippers.

Scratching POST are a big help and fun for cats too, inside.
My old tom cat loved a piece of firewood LOL

A Squirt gun or bottle works well to train them for many issues inside that are no-no's.

And I use regular human clippers for my cats. I don't need any special tools to do it. Do it right on my lap.
They still have their claws to defend and climb with for the most part.
Climbing is a defense for cats too. But if you live where trees are sparse tho......

When you show animals there are many regulations as to what is and is not acceptable. You'll be disqualified for alot of things. I had some rather rare type cats.

I do wish, people would get animals "fixed" more. There is a definite bit of difference that I've learned over the years as to City and Country pets

Start when they are young or when you first get a pet and you'll both be happier for the whole experience.
AND do things with them - EVERY day.

I can tell you some easy ways to handle many cat issues, so if you want to ask, feel free.

I don't show anymore, never bred cats tho for money, but have had some unique experiences with them "wild or tame", free or cost a pretty penney's worth :P

I'm a sucker for most animals and try to help out when there is a problem or home needed. Of course it was easier with several acres and a huge run for dogs too and trees etc. Being more of (near) a "city" person (ugh) right now, well it's definitely different

Take your dog to classes to have you Both learn how to interact in the world around you And your 'next' dog will benefit even more from that, with You being the teacher

New Mexico is very "Wild". Many don't understand this.
(you New Mexicans know what I mean )

Sorry this was a little long but it seems there were plenty of questions. And I see things got a little heated.
As long as we All do the Best that we can by our furred "pet" friends, then that's what matters imho.

And can I remind ya'll to - once in a while remember to drop off a good sized bag or two of dog and cat foods at your nearest shelter Please

Some of you have posted pics of some Georgeous Pets! Thank you!

Tia Dalma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 02:47 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Wow. Beautiful buddies. Do you have a lot of trouble with their hair? We have a short haired blue heeler inside dog and a rotund, HAIRY red heeler who'd love to be an inside dog.
Thanks. Yes, I have a lot of problems with their hair. It's not that bad really if you work on it a bit each day. The smaller dog is a female and everything sticks to her hair due to static and she seems to shed all the time. At least she likes being brushed. The Larger dog, a male just has a lot of hair. They both get brushed at least partially once a day. Using the correct type of brush makes a difference. The male has matted undercoat when we got him. It took three good baths to get the matted hair removed.

My daughter has a Blue Heeler. The Heelers are pretty good dogs for this area.

Rich

Old 02-01-2009, 08:52 AM

215 posts, read 652,117 times
Catman, thanks for the compliments. They all came from the same litter from a neighboring ranch. There was one Calico as well, but she was gone before I could get her as well. They were all as different as night and day and pretty 'wild' when I got them, and IMO all way too young to leave their Mama, but they wanted them gone. All got altered and had their shots faithfully. One of them had a run in with an owl which should have killed her, but $$$$ later and alot of care, she pulled through. I can only hope that the new managers at the ranch take care of them and treat them with the respect they so deserve. Here's one of 'Spot'. Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Question About Cats?-pics-old-computer-1462.jpg  

Old 02-01-2009, 08:56 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Since we are sharing, here is my beautiful indoor cat.
Attached Thumbnails
Question About Cats?-dscf3322.jpg  

Old 02-01-2009, 11:06 AM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I thought yb's post "Who you calling You People?" was funny; I thought it was supposed to be. Maybe I was wrong.
Yeah, It was a little dry humor. I've heard that saying on the boob tube a time or two.
I forgot to add the smiles. Being called a troll does not bother me at all.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:34 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
hopeful transplant: What a beautiful little cat Spot was! lisdol, your cat is beautiful too. I think most cats are at least attractive, if not beautiful. I've got lots of cat photos, but they are all on 35mm. I need to get a digital camera! Problem is, the ones I want are all $$$$.

I have a dilemma with an outdoor cat. I named her Felicia, and she circulates between my house and the one across the street. She is very affectionate and will come up and purr like crazy when I pet her, but she will not tolerate being picked up and is quite skittish. I've let her in the house a bunch of times, and she seems to get along with my two indoor cats quite well. One of those times, she left a few fleas behind and I had to treat the indoor cats to get rid of the fleas. With difficulty, I managed to apply some of the Advantage to her as well, and it seemed to help. I'm wondering whether or not I should try to make an indoor cat of her. She has lived outdoors for at least eight years. She isn't going hungry by any means, but I am afraid something (dog or car) will get her. She's been neutered, BTW, so she's not having litters.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:14 PM

215 posts, read 652,117 times
Catman, I had a feral cat at the ranch, he had 6 toes on each front paw, beautiful long black hair. We named him Stump. It took me a long time to get him to come to me and let me pet him, but I finally won him over. I think with time, he would have liked coming in at night. If I had the chance, I would make Felicia a indoor cat as well. The vet told me the same as one of the other posters mentioned - best thing to keep a cat alive and well, is to keep it indoors. I would sure try it, if it doesn't work, then it wasn't meant to be.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:41 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
I agree with the vet's advice. To believe otherwise would be nuts. I'll work on it. Felicia is a sweet little cat, and she's lived outdoors in the neighborhood for eight years (somehow). I've been making friends with her for two years now, and she is still very skittish, but she really likes to be petted. I don't know whether she will ever get over the skittishness. Maybe if she lived indoors she would relax.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Add catnip to the petting. We had one cat that tried to return our furniture to basic yarn until I rigged a scratching box with strips of cardboard interspersed with sand paper and spotted with catnip tea. We could barely keep the cat away from the scratcher and it kept the claws shortened. We think she died of kidney failure brought on by contaminated cat food.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:22 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
songinthewind7 mused:

> I wouldn't normally declaw a cat but if the cat is indoors all the time,
> unless you want your furniture ripped to shreds, it's best to have
> them declawed.

Get a scratching post and train the cat to use it.

How do you train a friggin' cat? you ask?

Trick it.

Keep a nasty, smelly old T-shirt that you wear and don't wash it.
Wear it a couple of days in a row and work/exercise/whatever to
get your scent on it.

Drape the T-shirt on the scratching post after rubbing your scent
(odor) all over the thing. You might want to add some sox, underwear,
etc.

I'd stop short of peeing on it. We don't want to rot the wooden
frame, now do we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats