Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 07:21 AM

573 posts, read 1,689,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I am kind of suspicious of doctors with a good 'bedside' manner. I try to look for someone who is technically proficient, who can keep a great deal of data in his or her head. To my way of thinking it is another technical field, like a auto mechanic or computer programmer. I really don't care if these guys hold my hand through the thing. I want an ability to diagnose and fix and be accurate in these things.

Once I had a dog and brought him to a practice that had several vets. They took turns manning the facility in my town and also at a hospital that they ran which was open 24/7 and was referred to by many local physicians.
Hours after my appointment I realized that I had left my umbrella there earlier. I was passing by, and although it was after hours I thought someone might be there. I was in the waiting room with my umbrella and heard a vet screaming at a dog, who was whimpering. This happened over and over. I almost cried. I poked my head in and screamed to the guy that they just lost a customer. I called the facility the following day and explained what had happened. I am sure he came up with some lame excuse.
I never followed up, but never went back.
There are fewer laws protecting our animals from abuse, and just because someone has a degree and is educated does not guarantee that they are emotionally stable.

Thanks for sharing your story. Bed-side manner is important to me, because like I said, I work for a doctor and I know how important it is to all of our patients. My vet is calm and compassionate when he needs to be, and firm when the situation calls for it......

It's not just his personality, he does give me discounts on strays and such, its just these in-between things.

I am happy to report, however, that yesterday's surgery went well and he only charged me an office visit and for the anesthesia, so it was only around $100, as quoted. I guessI get myself in a tizzy because these things are usually SOOOO expensive.

I think next time I have to go in for something I will demand a written estimate, whether or not it's their policy. I really don't want to change vets, his practice is quite advanced medically, just these prices sometimes kill my wallet!

After thinking about it, I have a suspicion as to why his prices might be inflated. His practice moved from a strip mall to a ritsy neighborhood with a bunch of McMansions, and maybe the price reflects that.....

Thanks for all who responded, I'm going to take the bull by the horns the next time.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 07:24 AM

PS-This is the kitty that had the surgery, her name is Petunia:

Old 01-30-2009, 07:26 AM

635 posts, read 1,686,497 times
::waving to Petunia:: get better kittyface!

Old 01-30-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justhere View Post
::waving to Petunia:: get better kittyface!

Awwww.....Petunia says thanks!! xoxo :wub:

Old 01-30-2009, 07:38 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
I am glad that everything turned out ok.
Well, when most businesses move into a 'better' neighborhood they often charge whatever the market will bear.
I have played musical doctors at times, going to the guy who was close and cheap for maintenance, and to the guy farther away with relations with a teaching hospital for more serious things.
Nobody seems to do this with pets, though.
Best of luck to you both.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:52 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,573 times
(((Petunia)))

Old 02-02-2009, 06:21 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,740 times
Red face vet, money and options

I liked what one poster said about getting a second opinion. Luckily we don't have to do so with our vet but he does understand that the pets live on a senior budget and provides a list of pricing on his website and a senior discount. for "special" situations, well he doesn't know what the cost is for certain surgeries but you can walk with him to the front desk and they will tell you X amount and for what all you will be paying for.
Unfortunately some vets will overcharge one patient to cover the cost of give aways. Had a dentist do that as well. odd horrid practice. Even though my pets have always gone to one vet we have tried others in the area but found them all lacking in one area or the other.
I would suggest a couple of things next time ( lets hope no next time comes) but if you have a vet college or animal college nearby that might be worth the trip to have your pet looked at there. Some of those places will see & treat your pet for a smaller fee. In Texas we luck out with a few options. I have known people who took their pet to Texas A&M for treatment at 1/2 what the vet would charge. Keep knowledge of your options and let your vet know you have options.
Once again I luck out on that one... my vet suggests places like that from time to time for special cases. He is a good guy even though with these times his prices went up a bit.
Oh yeah find out if your state is a "prescripition right to own" state. meaning if you are by law allowed to request your prescriptions in hand to go someplace else to fill. like use 1800petmeds. My vet doesn't like to do it but he has to... so he gives us the petmeds pricing on pills we need. We have no need to shop elsewhere. What can I say he may cost a bit more,,, but I am faithful to him since he is faithful and honest to my pets.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:44 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,933,490 times
I have to agree with everyone else about getting an estimate in writing from now on.

Also.. if the expense is too high, perhaps you could ask your vet if you could work off some of the bill with some volunteer work. They always need someone to walk the dogs, clean kitty boxes, socialize with the animals, etc.

Don't be afraid to ask this. A good vet will be open to this idea!

Hi Petunia! Heal up quickly!!!

Old 02-03-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerowyn View Post
Oh yeah find out if your state is a "prescripition right to own" state. meaning if you are by law allowed to request your prescriptions in hand to go someplace else to fill. like use 1800petmeds. My vet doesn't like to do it but he has to... so he gives us the petmeds pricing on pills we need. We have no need to shop elsewhere. What can I say he may cost a bit more,,, but I am faithful to him since he is faithful and honest to my pets.
He will give me scripts, and he'll also tell me if any meds come in "human form".....I work for a doctor so I can get samples for antibiotics, etc. which keeps the prescription price down......

[/quote] Also.. if the expense is too high, perhaps you could ask your vet if you could work off some of the bill with some volunteer work. They always need someone to walk the dogs, clean kitty boxes, socialize with the animals, etc. .[/quote]

I never thought of this, thanks! He might go for that, I've known him for years and we have a trusting relationship......

Old 02-03-2009, 07:45 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebdj View Post
He will give me scripts, and he'll also tell me if any meds come in "human form".....I work for a doctor so I can get samples for antibiotics, etc. which keeps the prescription price down......
Also.. if the expense is too high, perhaps you could ask your vet if you could work off some of the bill with some volunteer work. They always need someone to walk the dogs, clean kitty boxes, socialize with the animals, etc. .[/quote]

I never thought of this, thanks! He might go for that, I've known him for years and we have a trusting relationship......[/quote]

"I never thought of this, thanks! He might go for that, I've known him for years and we have a trusting relationship......"

I'm confused...if you've known him for years and have a trusting relationship, than why are you questioning his billing?
"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats