Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 03:47 PM

30 posts, read 66,782 times

Advertisements

Hey there We just brought home this kitten a few months ago that is finally turning into a sweet kitten--she has an over aggressive issue that I am working on with her. I was thinking that she possibly has Maine Coon since she has the little ear tufts of hair and she is getting big. She's as big as my 13 year old cat already! She's 6.2 lbs (just got spayed yesterday so maybe I should minus a few ounces ) as of last week. She was born around my bday they told us which was 8-15 or so, so that makes her around 5 months.

When we got her she was full of worms and fleas when we got her (when she was 3 1/2 months) so now she's looking better and a lot healthier too. I'm thinking that she was taken from her mother too young because she now seems to be treating me as momma. Course, I've found that the best way to teach her not to bite and be mean is to hiss at her when she gets too rough so that also could be why. So now we can actually pet and hold her without the severe hissing, growling and biting She loves acting like one of the dogs too

Anyhoo, you can see her pics and web site (yes I just said that) here ... Dakota or see the ear tufts and face here ... (hard to take a pic of how pronounced the fluff on her is becoming as well as the ear tufts though, but she is getting really thick and fluffy long hair)
Attached Thumbnails
Breed Identification Help?-dvc00007.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 04:00 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
I see no MC...google Maine Coons Images and you can see an array of pics there. Many cats have the tufts in the ears....She looks like a really cute DLH calico mix of some kind tho! Love her name too!

Old 02-03-2009, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the reply ShelbyGirl1 Yeah, I've googled the Maine Coon and have had friends that have owned them and I was always around, that's why I was thinking that's what she was. She is only beginning to really fluff up now because she was undernourished when we got her. But now that she's putting on her weight and hair is growing out, she is getting really fluffy, including her tail which is this big fluffy long thing Gotta get new pics since the ones I have on her site are a month old and she's changed a LOT in that time.

She's extremely smart and loves following me around like a little dog. On her site is a vid of me getting her to sit, come and sit up. She picked it up quickly. She's also got the quietest little meow--hard to describe, never had sound before, but now it's a small little "ow" sort of sound. She doesn't really talk upstairs, but when in her room? Boy she loves telling you all sorts of things And she loves helping you take showers as well. [laughing] She'll come stand up on the bathtub and watch, or when I'm brushing my teeth, she thinks she needs to be right there. Only after some relentless work have I stopped her from getting in the sink when I'm trying to wash my face! Loves to fetch too. If you don't throw her toy you are getting it in your lap. [laughing]

Thanks My brother always has said he'd name his girl--if he had one--Dakota, so when we brought her home? Oh I knew that was the name I call her Codies or Coda for short. She's a lovable little booger now that she's taming her aggressive tendencies, but not really a crazy lap girl. Just loves sitting on top of the chair with you, but does give good little kisses when you lean your face to her

She's also quite the little clown! She loves to lay on the ground with her legs spread out behind her. I've never seen a cat do that before, but it's funny as heck! She literally lays down then slowly stretches out her legs behind her She just matches everything I've seen and read about the Maine Coon. Perhaps mixed in there?

Old 02-03-2009, 07:05 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
LOL...She sounds alot like my Ragdolls....in saying that...I do have a 1/2 MC /1/2 Persian...who loves to lie with his feet stretched way out behind him. Superman style!
Were you aware you can do a DNA test to see what exactly is mixed in there? Google home DNA tests...We just did one recently for a rescue puppy my daughter has. $45. Who knows...you could have some MC in there...Whose to say there is not!

Old 02-03-2009, 08:19 PM

Really? Yeah, she is a non-stop goofball and energizer bunny. I swear, in training her, there are times I can't sit down for more than a minute without having to get up and run after her getting into something You have one too like that? [laughing] Isn't that the funniest thing? I have never had a cat lay like that, and you're right, Superman style. That's a great way to look at it since that is how they do it. My personal cat is a 1/2 Persian 1/2 tabby mix. Tabitha is SO nothing like Dakota. She won't sit for nothing. She won't bother to fetch for nothing. She can play a little, but she would rather spend her time grooming and being "beautiful" than anything else. LOL I've told her she belongs in a house with her own wait staff and regal bedding. Not my dogs that love to slobber her with kisses when she walks across the floor. Still looks like she's only 3 years old and glossy pure black. Not one inch of her isn't glossy black. There's my girl.
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v439/72/79/757232052/n757232052_1731207_5187.jpg (broken link)

Home DNA is only $45? Hmm, I'll have to look that up. Thanks for that. I've heard of the home DNA since my mom wanted make sure the Shih Tzu she has is pureblood--as a breeding assurance. The ones she was finding were $100.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:56 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,954,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katkisa View Post
Thanks for the reply ShelbyGirl1 Yeah, I've googled the Maine Coon and have had friends that have owned them and I was always around, that's why I was thinking that's what she was. She is only beginning to really fluff up now because she was undernourished when we got her. But now that she's putting on her weight and hair is growing out, she is getting really fluffy, including her tail which is this big fluffy long thing Gotta get new pics since the ones I have on her site are a month old and she's changed a LOT in that time.

She's extremely smart and loves following me around like a little dog. On her site is a vid of me getting her to sit, come and sit up. She picked it up quickly. She's also got the quietest little meow--hard to describe, never had sound before, but now it's a small little "ow" sort of sound. She doesn't really talk upstairs, but when in her room? Boy she loves telling you all sorts of things And she loves helping you take showers as well. [laughing] She'll come stand up on the bathtub and watch, or when I'm brushing my teeth, she thinks she needs to be right there. Only after some relentless work have I stopped her from getting in the sink when I'm trying to wash my face! Loves to fetch too. If you don't throw her toy you are getting it in your lap. [laughing]

Thanks My brother always has said he'd name his girl--if he had one--Dakota, so when we brought her home? Oh I knew that was the name I call her Codies or Coda for short. She's a lovable little booger now that she's taming her aggressive tendencies, but not really a crazy lap girl. Just loves sitting on top of the chair with you, but does give good little kisses when you lean your face to her

She's also quite the little clown! She loves to lay on the ground with her legs spread out behind her. I've never seen a cat do that before, but it's funny as heck! She literally lays down then slowly stretches out her legs behind her She just matches everything I've seen and read about the Maine Coon. Perhaps mixed in there?

Definitly sounds like some Maine Coon, the water obsession, dog-like tendancies, does she have the tufts between the pads of her feet? those snowshoes tell the tale...fluffy tail, that is another characteristic. The meow usually sounds like a cry more than a typical meow....unless you're Bubba, he kinda sounds like a goat bleating....Annabelle's is a true cry....

she's a beauty!

Old 02-04-2009, 12:18 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,047,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katkisa View Post
I'm thinking that she was taken from her mother too young because she now seems to be treating me as momma. Course, I've found that the best way to teach her not to bite and be mean is to hiss at her when she gets too rough so that also could be why. So now we can actually pet and hold her without the severe hissing, growling and biting

You have given me some hope......we have a kitten (on "Meet...IGGY" thread) and we've been having just a terrible time w/him being meaner than snot!! I know he was taken too soon from mama too.....we're sure hoping he will settle down!!

Ive had one MC mix, and one pure MC and both of them were incredible, wonderful cats. IMO, they are the best!!! IF your little girl there has MC in her, youre in for a real treat. She sure is a doll!!!

Old 02-04-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
Definitly sounds like some Maine Coon, the water obsession, dog-like tendancies, does she have the tufts between the pads of her feet? those snowshoes tell the tale...fluffy tail, that is another characteristic. The meow usually sounds like a cry more than a typical meow....unless you're Bubba, he kinda sounds like a goat bleating....Annabelle's is a true cry....

she's a beauty!
Thanks for the reply littlelou. I looked at her feet and it does seem that she has some tufts beginning to grow between her little toes. It's interesting since my Persian mix, Tabitha, has that same thing. I tried to take pictures to see if it would show up so you could determine it. I'll include the pic.

Yeah, that water thing. Every morning she has a fur mouse in her darn water I take it out, she puts it back. Either that, or she loves putting her toys in her food dish. lol I wish I knew what was going through her little mind, but it's cute.

I do remember the sound they make well. lol. Never heard a goat sounding one. The boy that I used to Nanny for had a huge Maine Coon and his was this tiny little chirpie cry. The neighbor down the street had one (recently he passed of old age) and his was also pretty tiny and kind of a roowr, not really a meow. Dakota's cry reminds me of my brother's cat that died (old age) last year. Hers sounded, I swear, like a cheetah's bird chirp. Dakota's is sounding like that a bit when she does meow. The sound even shocked my friend who just got a kitten.

And thank you. That she is
Attached Thumbnails
Breed Identification Help?-dvc00002.jpg  

Old 02-04-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
You have given me some hope......we have a kitten (on "Meet...IGGY" thread) and we've been having just a terrible time w/him being meaner than snot!! I know he was taken too soon from mama too.....we're sure hoping he will settle down!!

Ive had one MC mix, and one pure MC and both of them were incredible, wonderful cats. IMO, they are the best!!! IF your little girl there has MC in her, youre in for a real treat. She sure is a doll!!!
Thanks tiffela74 for the reply. I'll see if I can find that to see him. Yeah. There are some taxing times with goobers that truly are meaner than snot. Is what I do a lot with her. [laughing] The best advice I can give you is to simply give LOTS and LOTS of attention and love. Dakota hated being picked up; hated being loved period. When we first got her? Pick her up and instantly she's start growling, hissing and biting. I've received cuts all over my arms and hands from her. My brother had his nose bit (drew blood) for kissing her face and she was being too frisky. It looked basically like I loved cutting my arms with a razor blade.

Needless to say I made sure to start keeping her nails trimmed every weekend so at least we couldn't get too sliced up anymore. I introduced her to the bath (was worried she'd hurt me, but was enjoying it quite a bit) since she had fleas. We can't allow even one flea in the house or else my cat goes into an allergic reaction that can cause her to lose hair and start throwing up pretty severely.

The best came when I remembered that the reason Tabitha turned out so well was because when she was little (and she was mean when we brought her home too, but not as bad as Dakota since she wasn't over aggressive) I used to handle her a lot. I never played rough with her and whenever I'd pass her I would pick her up, love her a moment and kiss her, then put her down. Even if for just a moment. Then, I would also carry her around with me a lot. (Holding while walking around seems to be much better than standing still and holding.) Been doing that with Dakota for the past two weeks. There has been a huge turn around in her. All except wanting to attack (not play, but attack) Tabitha who's been taught to walk away from fights since she's never had any reason to fight. So we're still working on it, but my brother came in off the road (long-haul truck driver) for the week and he's enjoying how lovable she has become. She just needed more one-on-one play time (I do it quite a lot to calm that energetic snot out of her ) and to be loved and picked up more so she learns that she don't need to be aggressive. I also have a feeling that she was like that because I don't think she was treated very nicely when she was a kitten. She seems to always think someone or thing, is just about to get her so she's always on the defensive. But I tell you, she really has turned around just from increasing the love--as if I'm not constantly touching and kissing my pets If you ever want advice on something with that, feel free to ask since I'm pretty used to "mean" cats and turning them nice

And thank you. I really appreciate that

Old 02-04-2009, 09:57 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,047,674 times
Thanks so much!! I really loved your post in my Iggy thread too. Youre a great help and have almost reduced me to tears of relief. Im going to try what youve suggested.

My first MC, I got him when he was only a few weeks old. His mama died and he was the only one of the litter to survive. Oh man, he had my heart from the first moment I saw him....Anyhow, one of the reasons I named him Cricket, was the little chirpy noise he always made. He was so cute, he'd sit up on my shoulder and chirp and chatter away. Then he got bigger, and would STILL try. lol he'd drape himself over my shoulder and talk but would still, even at his full size, try so hard to scrunch up on my shoulder. didnt work.
My daughters MC mix, Sasha, was a talker too. Mostly w/her, it always melted me, to see them lay there together, her talking in a low voice, and he'd be chiming in w/his own little noises. She was very very ill last year and spent a lot of time having to lay around, he was by her side throughout it all, and would just lay there, as close as he could to her and just trill and chatter. And when she had tough times, w/meds/treatment, or when she was so weak or sick all she could do was lay there and not even have it in her to pet him, he would sound almost like a baby crying, pacing back and forth, crying then trilling, crying, and trilling. Then pat at her consistantly. I never saw anything like it. he was truly as worried about his BFF as we were.
Sure is a switch going from a BFF like that to our wild and crazy Iggy.
Anyhow, again, congrats on your new baby and thanks for the hope!!! More pics would be lovely!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats