U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:08 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,146,970 times

Advertisements

I have a two and a half year old old cat (Bubba) that has recently began peeing on our bed! Luckily we have a waterproof mattress protector so it hasn't reached the actual mattress, but he is ruining our sheets and comforter and it smells!!

We have had him for two years and he has never done this before. He is like an inside feral cat. Since the day we got him he has always been afraid of everyone and everything except for my boyfriend, me, and my other cat. He spends a lot of time underneath the bed hiding, that is just the way he is. He is an indoor cat, never goes outside. Now, here are my two possible reasons for this to suddenly begin happening.

1. We have recently gotten a puppy that chases him and he is deathly afraid. However, we have had him for a few months already, and Bubba has just began peeing the bed a few days ago. Could he be so scared to go to the other room because of him?? Why did he all the sudden decide to pee the bed now and not before? He goes to the other room for his food, water, and to poop in the litterbox.. why doesn't he just pee there too?

2. We has had a litterbox change.. the box is in the same location, however we have put it inside a large cabinet and installed a doggy door in the side so they can go in and out to get to their litterbox. We have done this to keep the dog out and so the box is hidden from sight. However, he knows how to go in and out and we have actually seen him use the litterbox in there before.

Sorry for the long post, but what do I do?! I don't have time to lure him out in the morning when I go to work so I can't lock him out of the bedroom, help!!

Last edited by thegirlinaz; 02-08-2009 at 08:17 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 08:18 PM

571 posts, read 1,257,020 times
My best guess is that the cat is trying to make a statement about the dog. Your cat is angry and is telling you so.

Another possibility is that your cat has a urinary tract infection. More common in males.

To remove the pee, use Nature's Miracle or other "enzymatic" cleaner. Do not use soap and water. It WILL NOT remove the stain or the smell.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:58 PM

19,856 posts, read 63,557,079 times
You are going to have to put the litterbox in the bedroom. Think about yourself - humans pee way more often than they poop. So fdo cats. He is likely also making a statement, this is a cat's best way to "show" you for something he doesn' like.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:03 PM

5,499 posts, read 21,816,439 times
If a cat is peeing in the bed, it could be a urinary tract infection. You have to really watch out for this with male cats especially. If it is UTI, he could get a blockage, which is an emergency situation. Consider taking him to the vet.

The other thing, cats must have very clean litter boxes. I scoop my cats box every day and wash it out and replace litter once a week. So check to see your box is clean. And use unscented litter. Nothing is worse than scented litter for a cat. I can't even stand the smell of that stuff.

Now, your cat may also not be happy with the new location of the box. Consider getting a second box for a different location in the house.

Also, you mustn't let the puppy chase the cat. This is not to be encouraged.

More info here:
http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm

Old 02-08-2009, 09:36 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,648,476 times
Take him to the vet tomorrow! I was told when a male cat gets a UTI, he can die in a couple of days. If he is healthy, then it may be a behavioral problem. We had to crate a female cat for peeing on the floor. It only took one day in that crate for her to use the litter box again. We had to bring the crate back into the room last week. Just the site of it reminds her to use the litter box.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:50 PM

698 posts, read 2,750,495 times
It is one of two things. As the other posters have said, it could be illness, and the urinary blockage and/or UTI in male cats can be a life-or-death situation.

If his health is ok then it is definitely a protest to something in your home. Cats detest changes like those you said have occurred in your home with his litter box and . It's a matter of trying to stabilize his surroundings and create a sense of safety from the dog even if it means separating them.

It's a pain that they express themselves this way but without the ability to talk to you about what's troubling them, they have few options. They know you're going to notice peeing on your bed so it works great! I've had it happen to me so I can definitely relate to the frustration.

I would agree that he should go into the vet for an exam first to rule out illness and then if that's not it, to try what you can to make his living space more comfortable, secure and safe. It's going to be a guessing game but you're on the right track!

Old 02-09-2009, 02:59 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,240,525 times
Your kitty may be angry concerning the litter box change. Our male has done similar things when we made changes that he was less than thrilled with.

However when he had a medical problem, he pottied in the tub, my purse!, and the litter box. Often and very small amounts. He also did a lot of crying. If it is an infection, it could be VERY serious. Not to alarm you, but he could be dead within a few days or hours.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:24 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,861,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
If a cat is peeing in the bed, it could be a urinary tract infection. You have to really watch out for this with male cats especially. If it is UTI, he could get a blockage, which is an emergency situation. Consider taking him to the vet.

The other thing, cats must have very clean litter boxes. I scoop my cats box every day and wash it out and replace litter once a week. So check to see your box is clean. And use unscented litter. Nothing is worse than scented litter for a cat. I can't even stand the smell of that stuff.

Now, your cat may also not be happy with the new location of the box. Consider getting a second box for a different location in the house.

Also, you mustn't let the puppy chase the cat. This is not to be encouraged.

More info here:
THE LITTER BOX
I agree with Woof, your kitty may have stones or a bladder infection, or he may be doing this out of frustration/fear. Keep the puppy away from the cat and introduce them again gradually.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:44 PM

54 posts, read 209,343 times
I think if it's a urinary problem you'd notice more time spent in the box and squatting outside the box. But you should certainly rule it out first.
IMHO I think the new dog AND a new, strange litter box was just too much change for a fragile cat. If he's easily upset as you say you've thrown not just one but two big changes into his small world.
I have a problem pee'r that I had to put on medication. My vet won't do Prozac (considered the best possible drug for this problem by Catnip the newsletter of the Tufts Univ. Vet School) but he did put her on Clomicalm which works pretty well but didn't not cure it 100%. Miso is also a fragile cat w/ lots of fears. I have the scars to prove it.
Catnip also reports that problem peeing is the number one cause for cats ending up in shelters. That's sad. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:50 AM

244 posts, read 689,671 times
If you have ruled out infection as a possible cause, I would suggest it is spite? One of my kitties peed on my side of the bed after I changed the type of litter I put in her box. She seriously held it all night, it was horrible. Apparently she didn't like the pellets...

Is it possible to block off part of the house with a baby gate so that kitty can have his own space? I have a co-worker who does this, her kitty has the whole upstairs to herself.

I would also suggest a window perch, so kitty can get away from puppy when necessary. Cats like to be superior, I mean higher off the ground.

At any rate, Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats