Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 09:28 PM

242 posts, read 735,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
From what you describe, it sounds like trauma to me. However, the sentence I quoted above really scared me. You are aware that it's not just your other cats that could be exposed to rabies, right? The kitten is neurologic (walking in circles) and you don't know a thing about it's history. In this case, we always assume he could have rabies. He doesn't have to bite you for you to be exposed. Please don't think I'm being heartless, I feel sorry for the poor little baby. But right now, I'm also concerned about you. If the kitten dies or you elect to euthanize, do you think the vet would agree to send him off for a rabies test? I would highly, highly recommend it. This is not a disease to be trifled with. As a veterinary professional it is the one zoonotic disease that scares the bejeebers outta me!
Yes, i am scared. I have washed after touching him everytime.
I have also read about cats walking in circles after getting hit by a car.
His eyes were all white (third lid/eye shwoing) but that seems to have receded just a bit.

There is some definite facial trauma that does not appear to be a crushing blow, but he is obviously bloodied on the left side where the whiskers are. That eye is worse than the other for sure. When I found him his eyes were completely shut.

He seems to sit down or fall over and sleep a bit, then he gets up and walks forward until he gets to a corner and stands there breathing real heavy. Slight gurgle, but more of just a rough breathing.

I see his nose moving a bit when breathing and I have heard a small cough or two.
Kinda like when we cough a little flem. Then it is back to rough breathing.

When he is 'sleeping' for a few minutes his breathing is really shallow but not to noisy. "awake' and he is breating harder.

Meaning 'aware rabies' means I know he could possibly have it and this could be a sign. But everything seems to point to an accident. He is otherwise in rather great condition and is rather strong, just very docile and completely disorientated as well as shell shocked and 'gone'.

If he survives, I will take him tomorrow to a friend who runs a shelter and ask her some advice. I am just too poor to do anything else. I wish I could afford an xray to see if there is other damage. His jaw seems fine. His tongue has been hanging out just a little bit, just the tip, the whole time too.

I am learning I can do nothing but wait and see I guess. There is no emergency animal care anywhere that does not cost a fortune. Most animal care facilities run by the govt just kill them.

horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
kansas_sky is right to be very concerned about you. You coming in contact with the kitten's saliva (if he has rabies) can pass it along to you. Was the vet wearing lab gloves the entire time he was touching and examining the kitten?

BTW you are a good person for helping this kitten.
yes, he was. Nurses/assistants were not.
He was showing caution and told me to make sure he did not bite me.

He seemed to agree that it was most likely trauma, however that does not mean he is not also sick.

It almost seems like all the higher functions are not working in his brain. He can walk, hear noise and try to move from it. Touch his ears and they act like other cats. And he breathes. But when he wants to walk he walks exactly the same slow way, forward or slighty at a cruve until he gently bumps into something and just stays there breathing hard.

Thanks for letting me talk about this. I am feeling very helpless with this poor kitten. If he is not better tomorrow at all I think (since he obviously not cognizant to eat or drink or do anything) I may have to let him find peace. So hard to do that, but I have to make that decision. Sometimes it is just better, sometimes it is not. Tomorrow morning will be a tough one for me, but hopefully a better one for him.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:35 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,576,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguywho View Post
well...he has not changed so far.
I went bak in to check on him and he was upside down and laying with his legs up on the side of the cage. I thought he was dead.

He was still breating, but sleeping I guess.
I moved him around to be more comfortable. He started heavy breating for a second and then went back to the light breathing.

Either his body is just trauma'd out and he is asleep or he is slipping away.

I do not want to bother him much as I think he is feral and it will just make it worse, so I am just trying to watch.

There is nothing I can do and maybe I should have let him go to sleep forever at the vets to avoid anymore pain for him.

Tomorrow, if he is the same and still alive I will have to do it. No food or drink, he will die soon.

Poor little cat. It is always hard.

I am still hoping he may pull out of it since he is still strong physically...it is only a matter of how much or what kind of brain damage he has...or if he is dying from a disease. Just fricking helpless. Breaks my heart.
I know how you are feeling before we sold our home I had at times 35 homeless cats and kittens . Have one sitting in my lap as I type got her the same way ,watch the mother push her away from the others from my kitchen window , went out to get her she was almost lifeless got my nursing bottles out gave her water on the way to the vet .Vet did the same gave her a shot and bottle of pink solution to give her 2 times a day , you need to keep it warm , use a bottle filled with warm water covered with a towel. then all you can do is wait . let us know how she is doing . OH and yep mine did make it she is now 9 yrs , old and tipping the scale at 13 1/2 lb. Kept her and 1 other to bring with us as we travel >

Old 02-10-2009, 09:40 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
I don't think this cat has rabies. I think it is trauma. Keep him in a warm dark place and see what happens. You never know. I have been surprised by animals before.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:59 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,003,137 times
Bless you for helping this poor lost soul. I would suggest getting your friend's advice. She may know a vet who will look at the kitten for free. Shelters sometimes have deals with local vets.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:31 AM

update.

I thought about it all as I was trying to sleep and had to come back and write one more time since a few vets seem to be here.

The trauma on the cat is very slight on the left upper lip. Mostly just dried blood and a little cut or two.

Other than that, the eyes are showing a mostly closed eye lid, the white part.

The nurse kept saying the cat looks heavily medicated. The breathing is very regular and is short. That gurgle sounds more like an attempt at purring while breathing than a wet gurgle.

With that in mind, I am thinking posion. Purposely or by accident. His body is strong and he is acting to weird and absolutely consistent. He acts the same exact way and has not changed. Although after about 7 hours I can see his eyes a bit now and not just the lids. And he does seem to be laying down more.

I am thinking poison. Any symptoms sound like any poisons you know? Especially rat poison?

I am gonna try to find a vet to help with that if he makes it through the night..or let him sleep forever. Poor kitty.

maybe the blood was from vomitting as the abrasions seem light on the face and perhaps I am wrong about them (they are very small).

Last edited by Thatguywho; 02-11-2009 at 12:43 AM..

Old 02-11-2009, 04:44 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,428 times
Oh, this is so sad. I hope the kitty is ok. Thank you for your compassion, alot of people would have turned a blind eye.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:35 AM

41,947 posts, read 75,144,160 times
How sad for this kitten. Bless you for taking him in and caring for him.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:09 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,054 times
Default check around

personally I doubt the kitten has rabbies. Sounds like kitty was tossed out a moving car, hit by something. Head trauma is the best bet.

check around for local cat rescues that might be able to offer or suggest a low cost clinic.

Unfortunatley most cases like that don't always turn out well. Kitty may always have nerve/brain damage that won't go away. The question is to what extent.

Is kitty eating ok? getting lots of fluid? if you check with a vet you can give it fluids with a small shot every so often like a mini saline injection. Had to do it with one of my little ones of the past to keep her hydrated after another vet botched a surgery. ( happy that guy aint is business no more) Also check into pediolite for fliud intake (by mouth only). One friend did that with wee kittens and they survived. No injuries though.

No matter what happens I believe you and kitty are together for a reason. Short lived or long life, love is never a waste. Take it from me. I am the queen of short lives, holding bb shot birdies in my hands as they die letting them know that I love them and I was sorry for thier pain. I truely believe if you are brought a injured animal it doesn't matter if it lives or dies. You do what can, show it love and compassion for in that it is a gift to you. No Human or animal should die without one ounce of love in thier life at sometime. It is our job to provide more then one once.

Blessed Be

Old 02-11-2009, 07:47 AM

378 posts, read 1,652,065 times
Any word? Poor baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats