Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 06:45 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,947 times

Advertisements

My Cat is nine and she has suddenly, in the past six months, become very finicky about her food. She still loves to eat of course, but is picky. So far, I have tried five different foods. I just bought Iams weight control and now she is turning her nose up at it! I also give her a packet of soft Nutro food, which she loves like crazy. I only give her this once per week, as it is expensive and she is chubby. She will eat her soft food, but leaves most of it in her bowl and stands in the kitchen and looks up at me for something else! I had to borrow some food from my neighbor, which she just loved. Should I mix some of this with her weight control food? My neighbor has Cats and says she sounds spoiled! This could be true, but I can't watch kitty meowing and staring up at me refusing her food. Any ideas of what to do? Many Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 07:27 PM

947 posts, read 3,408,469 times
She is 9...
Has she been to the vet recently for a check/physical? We all need that human and cat alike.
With that said I would try other foods. There are better ones than what you mentioned!
There are so many food threads here, seems to be an popular and of course important topic, for the health of our fur babies!

There is lots of info to give- regarding food and health but only if there is a willingness and an openness to change...and someone wants to receive this info... meaning I have my strong opinion about the food we feed our loved ones, and I love to pass it on for the health and longevity of our pets but only if it is accepted.

Like i said there are lots and lots of thread here on this subject.

Ask away and I will be of help all I can!

Old 02-13-2009, 11:07 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
If she's a lucky kitty she's spoiled rotten. It's what cats are for. However, if she is suddenly finicky I would look for a mough problem.. The only reason I mention it is because my Puss had mouth cancer. Also, cats eat because they can smell food. NO smell = NO nutrition. It might be she is so used to soft food, after nine years she is resistent to change. In which case introduce the crunchy stuff islowly by mixing them together. You might start with Purina Kitten Chow because it is not quite as hard. Most cats love it. Do NOT feed any cat food where the first ingredient is Corn.. There is zero food value in corn. You an also try lamb and rice. Most cats love it too. In fact most cats like the most expensive meal on the menu. And if worst comes to worst you can feed pets a human diet but it has to be balanced and it has to have suppliments.

Drop puss off at the vet and let him give her a complete check up plus a blood test and stool check if needed while you have a cup of coffee and sandwich. Then see what the vet suggests. And it wouldn't hurt to ask your neighbor what she feeds her cats.

If there is nothing wrong with puss, she will finally eat when she is hungry. Animals do not eat every day in the wild. It will not hurt her to not eat for a day or even three -- IF you can ignore the begging (meowing). But, and only IF, the vet checks her first.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
If there is nothing wrong with puss, she will finally eat when she is hungry. Animals do not eat every day in the wild. It will not hurt her to not eat for a day or even three -- IF you can ignore the begging (meowing). But, and only IF, the vet checks her first.
yes, i have fasting my kitties before, but make sure kitty is in good health first!!!

good advice!

Old 02-14-2009, 11:52 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,491,908 times
Sounds like you have a smart kitty! Allow your cat to eat the the food that she likes while
s l o w l y changing to a HEALTHY brand of wet food.

This site will give you a lot of help in making the change:
Feeding Your Cat** Know the Basi

Old 02-15-2009, 10:05 AM

59 posts, read 325,571 times
It is not uncommon for cats to suddenly dislike their food. This can be frustrating for owners as well as their cat! Sudden food changes can upset your cat's digestive tract, so it may not do you any good to keep switching foods. Also, it sounds like this cat needs to lose a few pounds (also not uncommon!) so it does need to be on a low fat/calorie food. Unfortunately, it's the high fat foods that taste the best! It may sound cruel, but your cat WILL eat if it is hungry enough. I would stick with the diet food. You can add water to soften the food and warm it in the microwave for a few seconds (cats love warm food) or mix in a spoonful of wet food.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:29 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,491,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlyh View Post
It may sound cruel, but your cat WILL eat if it is hungry enough.
Do not attempt to withhold food for long periods of time (greater than 24 hours) with the hope that your cat will choose the new food. I prefer to try to ‘convince’ them that a high quality canned food really is good for them, rather than to try starving them into it - which does not work anyway. Allowing a cat to go without food - especially an overweight cat - for a long period of time (greater than 48 hours) can be quite dangerous and may result in hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease).

Old 02-15-2009, 07:11 PM

59 posts, read 325,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Do not attempt to withhold food for long periods of time (greater than 24 hours) with the hope that your cat will choose the new food. I prefer to try to ‘convince’ them that a high quality canned food really is good for them, rather than to try starving them into it - which does not work anyway. Allowing a cat to go without food - especially an overweight cat - for a long period of time (greater than 48 hours) can be quite dangerous and may result in hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease).

I ABSOLUTELY do not recommend withholding food. Leave food out and the cat will eat. Cats can not last long without eating. Hepatolipidosis can be fatal.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:13 PM

offer chicken broth during the times between meals for water content and hydration.

I would offer food morning and evening, leave out for 20 to 40 mins and then pick up... if eat nothing still make sure to get them to drink chick broth, pumpkin, baby food...
these are my Ideas!

Old 02-16-2009, 05:31 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
offer chicken broth during the times between meals for water content and hydration.

I would offer food morning and evening, leave out for 20 to 40 mins and then pick up... if eat nothing still make sure to get them to drink chick broth, pumpkin, baby food...
these are my Ideas!
Thanks. I poured some broth on the food and she ate all of it! Maybe it is her nose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats