Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 05:51 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,532,100 times

Advertisements

Last summer, a stray cat was living under our shed, and my children befriended it, fed it occasionally, etc. Although the cat hung around our house, we didn't bring it inside or make it "our" cat. In fact, we suspect it belonged to someone else who had neglected it, as it initially had a collar that apparently came off. Consequently, we didn't call animal control.

So about December, this cat turns out to be pregnant. I thought this was an impossibility in the winter months, and she just delivered the kittens a week or so ago. Since then, we have pledged all four kittens to friends and a coworker who wanted them.

The woman across the street just moved in last fall. We live in a well-kept neighborhood, and her house is the only rental on the street. While most of us are conservative Republicans for the most part, we are relatively quiet about it. Meanwhile this woman had Obama paraphernalia all over her yard. In fact she'd even volunteered for this campaign.

We had made an effort to be friendly, but she was a fairly stand-offish person. So a few days ago, this woman saw my daughter playing with the kittens in the yard. I saw her conversing with my daughter, and this woman appeared agitated. When I went out to see what the problem was, she started scolding me about being an irresponsible pet owner to allow "my" cat to get pregnant. I explained to her that it was not really my cat, and that it was none of her business anyway. So yesterday, Saturday, I got a visit from animal control saying I was "allowing my cats to run the neighborhood". Of course I demonstrated to the officer that the kittens could barely walk, much less "run the neighborhood" and we'd be giving the kittens away after they'd been weaned, anyway. He was fine with that. I asked him who had called, and he confirmed it was our new neighbor.

This makes the third bad experience in a row we've had with these so-called animal activists. The first two had to do with the adoption of our cat. Like the other two, this woman was a snooty nasty busybody. So I guess I am getting a bad taste in my mouth for these people who are supposed to be so wonderful, compassionate, and caring.

She drives this junker of a car that is always filled to the brim with junk. Often the hatch is kept open because there is so much stuff. I think she trolls yardsales alot. I wouldn't be surprised if she goes through dumpsters as well. I see cats in the window. I'm wondering how clean she keeps this place.

Anyhow, we've always been good neighbors to everyone, but I'll be keeping a sharp eye on the length of her grass, the tidiness of her yard, etc. And if see something that constitutes a municipal violation.....Hmm. Her absentee landlord or municipal officials may be getting some calls.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:48 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Just ignore her. Don't talk to her. Go about your business and avoid her.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:00 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
I'm not sure where politics fits in but if you are feeding the cat and allowing it to reside on your property you should have it spayed. It's great that you are taking care of the kittens and finding them homes, but chances are that the cat is 'running' the neighborhood and will end up preggers again. If I were your neighbor I'd discuss it with you once and then get a trap if I though the cat was wandering on my property and call animal control myself. I've had too many situations with neighborhood cats that cause me trouble and money to mess around with it again. BTW, I am a conservative/libertarian if that matters at all.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:03 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
If it continues, talk to her landlord about harassment charges.
The owner is responsible for renters actions. What I have encountered with a renter across the street, call soon.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I'm not sure where politics fits in but if you are feeding the cat and allowing it to reside on your property you should have it spayed. It's great that you are taking care of the kittens and finding them homes, but chances are that the cat is 'running' the neighborhood and will end up preggers again. If I were your neighbor I'd discuss it with you once and then get a trap if I though the cat was wandering on my property and call animal control myself. I've had too many situations with neighborhood cats that cause me trouble and money to mess around with it again. BTW, I am a conservative/libertarian if that matters at all.
I'm sorry, but it seems lately I have been surrounded by these lunatic animal-rights women. In another thread, I related a story where I recently tried to adopt a kitten through a newspaper ad, and this woman (who had Obama bumperstickers among the two dozen or so plastered to her Subaru) tried to get me to sign a contract which called for her to visit my house periodically to ensure I was raising the cat to her standards; otherwise she could take it back!

Moderator cut: no commenting on mod actions
I hadn't felt the responsiblity to pay for spaying the cat up to now, since I had no way of knowing her history. I'll either do that or call animal control, I suppose. In either case, your advice for me to ignore my nosy neighbor is sound. I will do my best to do that.

Last edited by leorah; 02-22-2009 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: No commenting on Mod actions

Old 02-23-2009, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 6,848 times
look at your city's code compliance regualtions. keep tabs on that. if she is junk dealer or collector she normally can't keep her 'junk filled car' out in the open. Find out who her landlord is for possible future contact, it is possible that if she is renter she has been 'kicked' out of other rentals for just the same reason. if you have a housing association look into that as well and contact them if something untold arrises.
As for your kitty some cities have ordinance that state if you feed care tend to stray (feral or not) for x amount days ( here local it is 72 hours) without notifing animal control then the animal is your responsibilty and one has to follow the laws for that area. locally it would mean spay/ neutering plus now microchiping. if not you could be fined.
finding homes for the kittens are a good idea. getting the mother spayed is worth it check into local low cost clinic. See if you have a SNAP (spay neuter assistance program ) in you area. lot of times they will spay feral's for free there.
ignore neighbor tell kids to ignore neighbor and if she says anything to you and try to preach the word of Obama just tell her "Obama is not God, he doesn't walk on water and until you can see him with you own eye do just that - she can keep her comments to herself"
And this is coming from an Obama supporter, animal lover, and spiritualist who 'gets' it. Not everyone believe the same. don't punish those who are trying, guidence is a hundredfold more productive then acting like you have to save the world with commands.
Oh yeah... if she becomes a problem print out the codes and laws and send them to her annon. sign it from all you neighbors within 5 mile radius.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_veil View Post
look at your city's code compliance regualtions. keep tabs on that. if she is junk dealer or collector she normally can't keep her 'junk filled car' out in the open. Find out who her landlord is for possible future contact, it is possible that if she is renter she has been 'kicked' out of other rentals for just the same reason. if you have a housing association look into that as well and contact them if something untold arrises.
As for your kitty some cities have ordinance that state if you feed care tend to stray (feral or not) for x amount days ( here local it is 72 hours) without notifing animal control then the animal is your responsibilty and one has to follow the laws for that area. locally it would mean spay/ neutering plus now microchiping. if not you could be fined.
finding homes for the kittens are a good idea. getting the mother spayed is worth it check into local low cost clinic. See if you have a SNAP (spay neuter assistance program ) in you area. lot of times they will spay feral's for free there.
ignore neighbor tell kids to ignore neighbor and if she says anything to you and try to preach the word of Obama just tell her "Obama is not God, he doesn't walk on water and until you can see him with you own eye do just that - she can keep her comments to herself"
And this is coming from an Obama supporter, animal lover, and spiritualist who 'gets' it. Not everyone believe the same. don't punish those who are trying, guidence is a hundredfold more productive then acting like you have to save the world with commands.
Oh yeah... if she becomes a problem print out the codes and laws and send them to her annon. sign it from all you neighbors within 5 mile radius.
Good advice all the way around. Thank you! I will probably go ahead and spay the mom. Does she need any time after the birth to heal up or whatever?

Old 02-23-2009, 02:10 PM

573 posts, read 1,690,002 times
I'm glad to hear you're getting her spayed! With females, they say 3 days to heal. But I've also done trap, neuter, release programs where I've had the female out in a day. Whatever you can do, at least you're doing something.

I voted for Obama, in case you're wondering...... :-)

Old 02-23-2009, 05:42 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,851,249 times
I am always leary of those who tend to be worse then a born again Christian who is trying to convert the world with a bulldozer because there is only one way to do things and that is their way.
Having said that I am gald you will do the spay, it will keep her healthier and happier. No rutting males around, no nasty howling, and less apt to spread diseases. We had a run of unexplained outdoor cat illness that killed my indoor out door cat. He was a walk up ( just walked up and said... "Im Home!" ) Problem at that time was a lady who would feed the outdoor cats (none were feral but maybe one ). She would drive around the area and feed cats. All the cats congregated in my yard since that was one of her favorite feeding locations, all diseases in my yard. So my cat got sick. I was so mad at her. told her about it and she said I don't feed them in your yard. I had to point out the boundries of my property and she said they are not behind your fence. She didn't want to admit that cats can jump/climb a wood fence.
Anyways. Don't let ole busybody get you down. Do what you know you can do. Keep your kids safe and be a good neighbor who knows the ins and out of the city codes. Knowledge is power, staying calm and cool is down right irritating to those who want to tiff it up.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:17 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
My sister lives near a busy body and she actually harassed my sister into getting rid of some strays she was feeding.

Funny, now, this loser now has a huge dog who is a barking menace (the kind of dog only drug dealers and criminals need..)

Why can't people MYOB????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.