Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 11:10 PM

321 posts, read 853,371 times

Advertisements

I guess I'm resurrecting an old thread but I promised an update.

I have good and bad news.

The good news is that all of the babies now seem to be developing very well - they are playing like kittens should and keep both my husband and I on our toes. I don't think I've laughed this much in a long time.

One of them even climbed up the towels and walked along the shower curtain rail. I wish I could have taken a picture of that but we don't have a camera.

Two of the orange kittens are still small and I am concerned about them, but we give them extra attention and so far they are holding their own. One little black and white female is quite the softy. She wants to be held 24/7 and if I want to do any housework or work on the computer I have to carry her in my top other wise she climbs up my leg and tries to balance on my shoulder.

The bad news is that sadly we lost another one yesterday. I didn't like the look of him, but he was eating very well so it was a total shock to wake up this morning and find him in distress. I believe that the emaciated condition of the mother probably contributed to both his death and Pixie's because the research I've done thus far proves beyond a doubt that the mother could not hope to nurture kittens with no food.

Obviously hubby and I will be more vigilant and make sure the two small orange ones are given every chance to survive.

Thanks everyone.

Peace to all of you for your kindness and support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,854 times
I just recently adopted 5 feral baby kitties and we lost one too, but the others seem to be doing well, I'm glad I found this thread, for it has helped me as far as helping to get the babies sleeping, it's a lot of hard work, but I wouldn't have it any other way, what is really sad is how people can sometimes just let cats loose without thinking what can happen, I'm really sad that we lost Miracle today, but it's so hard for the feral mama cats to take care of their young

Old 10-18-2016, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 962 times
I just got a kitten that is newborn not sure how many days but her eyes are not open yet. She can walk some what and always trys to. She is ok at eating out of the baby bottle I'm not sure how much she should be eating per time or per day tho and she whines alot so I can't tell if shes getting enough or not. I do stimulate her forpee and poop. Her poop is kinda runny which scares me but she did have a tint but of real kill the first Day. I keep her warm w blankets mhave a crate and hold her. Just don't know why she whines so much

Old 10-18-2016, 09:11 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicalynncobia View Post
I just got a kitten that is newborn not sure how many days but her eyes are not open yet. She can walk some what and always trys to. She is ok at eating out of the baby bottle I'm not sure how much she should be eating per time or per day tho and she whines alot so I can't tell if shes getting enough or not. I do stimulate her forpee and poop. Her poop is kinda runny which scares me but she did have a tint but of real kill the first Day. I keep her warm w blankets mhave a crate and hold her. Just don't know why she whines so much
Bottle Feeding Kittens | Best Friends Animal Society You may not be feeding her enough or the right thing. The link has a lot of good information. It tells you how often and how much. If she's really little she should be eating every few (2-3) hours. She's probably crying because she's hungry or doesn't feel well. You also may want to contact a local cat rescue and see if they can help.

What happened to the mother?

Old 10-19-2016, 08:39 PM

13 posts, read 10,025 times
Comfort the kittens, they are just so anxious

Old 10-20-2016, 06:05 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Quote:
Great advice from Rowan123 - the link given is great.

I'm guessing you wrote your post on a smart phone or tablet with auto-correct on? I didn't quite understand the sentence about runny poop.

Anyway, it sounds like you are doing all the right things - bottle feeding, stimulating, keeping her warm, holding her. This is a challenge that not everyone is up for doing, so it's very admirable Jessicalynncobia. Keep doing all you're doing.

Once you know she's getting the right amount of food, that she's peeing and pooping as needed, and that she's warm, it's a matter of physical contact. Her vocalizing has another purpose besides, perhaps, saying she needs food or whatever - she's blind and is alone and is seeking out her mother and littermates for security and comfort.

Obviously you can't be with her 24/7, but when you're not, and I don't know if this would work, try wrapping a ticking clock inside a soft towel. It may mimic the sound of a heart beat. Blind kittens rely on sound and smell to find their mothers, and maybe one of the sounds they search for is a heart beat. It's what they heard in the womb, so maybe they find comfort in a steady beat.

Old 10-22-2016, 01:43 AM

1,059 posts, read 830,236 times
Quote:
I volunteer in the kitten nursery during kitten season at our local humane society. Every year about 150 kittens go through the nursery (oftentimes graduating to foster care) although several die and are called by the vet as "failure to survive." I didn't read it anywhere in the thread, but number one you need to weigh the kitten at least once per day, more often if possible. We give a minimum of 12 cc per feeding three to four times per day (there are four shifts of volunteers daily). We use syringes with a mixture of the rich milk replacement (darn, my mind blanked out on the brand name) and kitten food.

The most important thing is to make sure the kittens are gaining weight every day. Watch to make sure that none of them are losing weight (very bad sign). The veterinarians make their rounds to ensure the kittens are disease-free, no ringworm (very contagious), FIP tested, given meds if needed. The kittens have a heating pad in each cage, along with towel-lined cage bottoms, water, small litter box. The towels are changed at every shift. Tiny kittens also need to be stimulated after eating and their output noted. Diarrhea is very common, and often occurs when the kittens are fed too much at one sitting. The kittens will discover the litter box on their own and use it.

I fostered three little ones and cannot remember having so much fun watching them thrive and play. Once the kittens weigh two pounds, they are spayed/neutered and ready for adoption. Frankly, I think it's best to wait until they are 4 months old, but the humane society wants to keep the kittens moving quickly toward adoption. I kept one little tabby guy who got along famously with my two-year-old male Siamese. I also have a female Siamese (aka the Princess) but she wasn't interested in the new guy. Fortunately, the two males have bonded, come when called (like dogs), and have very sweet dispositions.

Is there anything cuter than a kitten?

Old 10-22-2016, 10:46 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
I volunteer in the kitten nursery during kitten season at our local humane society. Every year about 150 kittens go through the nursery (oftentimes graduating to foster care) although several die and are called by the vet as "failure to survive." I didn't read it anywhere in the thread, but number one you need to weigh the kitten at least once per day, more often if possible. We give a minimum of 12 cc per feeding three to four times per day (there are four shifts of volunteers daily). We use syringes with a mixture of the rich milk replacement (darn, my mind blanked out on the brand name) and kitten food.

The most important thing is to make sure the kittens are gaining weight every day. Watch to make sure that none of them are losing weight (very bad sign). The veterinarians make their rounds to ensure the kittens are disease-free, no ringworm (very contagious), FIP tested, given meds if needed. The kittens have a heating pad in each cage, along with towel-lined cage bottoms, water, small litter box. The towels are changed at every shift. Tiny kittens also need to be stimulated after eating and their output noted. Diarrhea is very common, and often occurs when the kittens are fed too much at one sitting. The kittens will discover the litter box on their own and use it.

I fostered three little ones and cannot remember having so much fun watching them thrive and play. Once the kittens weigh two pounds, they are spayed/neutered and ready for adoption. Frankly, I think it's best to wait until they are 4 months old, but the humane society wants to keep the kittens moving quickly toward adoption. I kept one little tabby guy who got along famously with my two-year-old male Siamese. I also have a female Siamese (aka the Princess) but she wasn't interested in the new guy. Fortunately, the two males have bonded, come when called (like dogs), and have very sweet dispositions.

Is there anything cuter than a kitten?
Yep......... two kittens.

Good advice in your post, btw.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:58 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Yep......... two kittens.

Good advice in your post, btw.
So true!!

Old 08-05-2017, 06:12 PM

2 posts, read 1,679 times
I have a abandoned kitten probably 10 days old, I'm really having to force feed this kitten with kitten replacement milk from the pets store. It will drinks about 4 r 5 drops every hour or so, it's using the bathroom when I wipe it with a warm rag but it's sure does cry a lot. I'm at my wits end here don't know what else to do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats