Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 09:54 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Doesn't it tho????? It almost seems to enhance the urine odor! I ended up throwing out almost an entire bag
Apparently you can't have "biodegradable" and "odor removers" in the same product
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 01:54 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
I used to flush cat litter that was advertised as "flushable" but I don't any more. My plumbing got stopped up (I can't say that it was definitely because of the cat litter) and the plumber showed me the inside of the pipes with his little flexible camera. I could see the stuff all along the pipes. Now I just take the clumps out and scatter them behind shrubbery.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:05 PM

7 posts, read 15,100 times
I wouldn't flush anything down the toilet except the bare minimum. Even tampons are a no-no.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:13 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Default Silica Gel Crystals

I don't mean to go off-topic, but would like to bring up another issue with cat litter;

I will never by silica gel crystals again and am considering getting an in store credit for the product. It was fairly expensive and worthless.

It was worthless for me because when I went down to scoop the stuff up, it wouldn't fall through the scooper at all. That right there makes the product worthless to me, the customer who buys the stuff in the first place and the Master King of my Castle because I'm the one who was given cat litter duty from my now wife... probably my 2nd or 3rd main duty as her husband. Between doing that and killing and removing the occassional centipede, I'm in like flinn.

It's also worthless, because our two kitties, Jeff and Frank (code names, of course) will not go #1 or #2 in the stuff. Thank God I gave them a choice between the original clay type clumpable stuff and the SGC type. I waited WAY to long to clean up for them too, but the poor little critters were having to share one little box (I have two for them and they usually go #1 in one and #2 in the other) and they did a really neat job of doing one on one side of the box and two on the other. I think they've been trying to tell me their frustrations, but I just don't speak cat.

Poor kitties. Don't buy this ripoff blue and white overpriced garbage, please.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:15 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I don't mean to go off-topic, but would like to bring up another issue with cat litter;

I will never by silica gel crystals again and am considering getting an in store credit for the product. It was fairly expensive and worthless.

It was worthless for me because when I went down to scoop the stuff up, it wouldn't fall through the scooper at all. That right there makes the product worthless to me, the customer who buys the stuff in the first place and the Master King of my Castle because I'm the one who was given cat litter duty from my now wife... probably my 2nd or 3rd main duty as her husband. Between doing that and killing and removing the occassional centipede, I'm in like flinn.

It's also worthless, because our two kitties, Jeff and Frank (code names, of course) will not go #1 or #2 in the stuff. Thank God I gave them a choice between the original clay type clumpable stuff and the SGC type. I waited WAY to long to clean up for them too, but the poor little critters were having to share one little box (I have two for them and they usually go #1 in one and #2 in the other) and they did a really neat job of doing one on one side of the box and two on the other. I think they've been trying to tell me their frustrations, but I just don't speak cat.

Many people I know like the crystals. And so do their cats...but their cats were brought up on it and use to the texture on their feet. To ask 2 cats who are accustomed to normal sand or clay litter to do a drastic change like this would be asking for lots of litterbox problems ie avoidance.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:39 PM

947 posts, read 3,409,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Doesn't it tho????? It almost seems to enhance the urine odor! I ended up throwing out almost an entire bag
Me too!

Old 06-13-2009, 10:00 PM

54 posts, read 237,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gynorrhagia View Post
I wouldn't flush anything down the toilet except the bare minimum. Even tampons are a no-no.
Remember the three "P" rule; Pee, Poop, and Paper. (toilet paper). (No Paper Towels, "flushable" wipes, feminine hygene products, toys, cell phones keys, pencils, soup, newspaper, potato chip bags or any other food packaging, etc.) All of which I have personally retrieved from toilets and main sewer lines.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:32 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber26 View Post
Remember the three "P" rule; Pee, Poop, and Paper. (toilet paper). (No Paper Towels, "flushable" wipes, feminine hygene products, toys, cell phones keys, pencils, soup, newspaper, potato chip bags or any other food packaging, etc.) All of which I have personally retrieved from toilets and main sewer lines.
LOL....sounds like sound advice! Thanks for the early morning giggle!

Old 06-14-2009, 08:33 AM

672 posts, read 5,094,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

I use crystals and it works perfect with my cat. But as Shelby said, my kitty was brought up with it. The one I have absorbs smell and you don't have to change the sand before a month has passed. I only scoop up the poop (after like 3 hours, coz then the smell is gone and it's perfectly dry).
I don't ever want to use another type of sand actually
I have this tiny apartment and there is no kitty odor at all!

Old 06-14-2009, 10:50 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Mine won't even use a litter pan. He cries at the door to go outside. He'll sleep for 12-14 hours, but when he needs to go out, you know about it! It's not a food meow, it's a let me out yowl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats