Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 02:04 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,263,377 times

Advertisements

I have an older cat that has to check out his bowl every time he goes outside. Never had a cat before. I've Had him for 8 years came with my new house. I'm guessing he is 12 yrs old.

Anybody have a cat that does that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 06:17 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Snickers doesn't go out, but he goes in the kitchen periodically to check his bowl. He's hoping that there's a new can of food in it, because he already finished it.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:21 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Cats form their own little habits and rituals. Often mere humans cannot see the reasons for these, but I'm sure the cat has his own reasons.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
You have humans who if they don't go after getting up in morning ;start worrying. As someone once said being regular is a sign of good health.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:43 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,011,346 times
My 4yr old, Jem, does that. Sleeps most of the day but when the sun goes down he grabs 5-6 bites of food then runs to the door and hollers to go out. About an hour later he hollers to come in. He then runs to the food bowl and gulps 5-6 bites of food then high tails it to the door and howls to go back out. My vampire cat, long nights in my house lol.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:46 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,082 times
Same as Diesol every time he check his bowl before going out and after coming in, as vet says he need to be sure other cat did not use it. Mine is 4 years old.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:19 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
Same as Diesol every time he check his bowl before going out and after coming in, as vet says he need to be sure other cat did not use it.
This! But with two cats in the house I'm not sure what either one of them gains by doing that.
And here I thought I'd scored when I once took over an apartment complete with piano. I think the OP went me one better, buying a home complete with cat!

Old 11-13-2014, 07:27 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
I have an older cat that has to check out his bowl every time he goes outside. Never had a cat before. I've Had him for 8 years came with my new house. I'm guessing he is 12 yrs old.

Anybody have a cat that does that
My cats don't, but my dog always goes to his water bowl for a drink before going out. It's some sort of habit created by who-knows-what, so I'm guessing it's the same for your cat.

It may be a unique behavior, but definitely not an unhealthy one. As texdav said, it's when rituals change when we have to pay attention.

I know that cats are smart and do have the ability to remember and to reason -- maybe this eating before and after has something to do with the instinctive hunting desire which for some cats requires more mental energy than others, and that they know historically hunting always fails when they go out. Associating food with energy, maybe some cats grab a few bits of "energy" before heading out, and then after an outdoor session are a bit hungry and grab a few bites to recharge the batteries.

OR, still on the hunting theme, maybe the association of going outside triggers the thought of hunting which triggers the stomach to say "I'm empty" (even if it isn't). It's the same concept when we drive by a favorite ice cream shop and salivate even if we're not hungry for dessert :-)

OR, as Zeurich wrote, maybe a cat needs to be assured that the bowl is still there and/or has not been "tainted" by another cat.

OR maybe it's just a flukey habit, a sequence ritual like my dog has. "Wanna go out?" triggers the ritual of running to the water bowl for a few slurps and then standing at the door. Coming in, the ritual is to sit on the rug and wait for the treat - and he'll sit there patiently waiting until he gets it (which is sometimes minutes if I cluelessly forget). He sticks to a ritual, and when he does it tells him all is right with the world. Maybe it's the same for your cat bmd69.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:05 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,028,365 times
George does this, he eats a couple of bites, wants outside, 5 minutes later wants in. I pick his bowl up, otherwise fat Bridget would eat it.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:30 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,263,377 times
This cat was left at my house that was under construction. He was a inside cat. Overall he is pretty good. I think he wants to make sure there is food there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats