U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 02:26 AM

46 posts, read 73,750 times

Advertisements

When I was considering buying my new kitten, I had to take into account my cat Shady.. he is nearly 5yrs (our yrs) and has always been a little spoilt I got him when I was younger, and my Mum always looked after him more... so he is a grandma's boy! Having seen him around other fully grown cats though (he was always placid) I decided that I would be ok in buying a new kitten.

When I brought her home, we set up a safe room in the kitchen (the room that Shady did not use that much) and allowed him to sniff around the barrier.. but he did not seem that interested at all so after a day we brought Rogue the kitten out and allowed her to play in the livingroom for a while - under supervision. Shady walked in, saw her, and left the room - still not interested But about 2 days ago, Rogue was on my mums lap (I was out) and Shady came in and went frantic and started hissing and raising his hackles So Mum put Rogue back in her safe room, and Shady jumped the board we had on the door (door is away getting replaced) and started clawing my Mums leg!! Eventually after a lot of hassle Mum got Shady out and Rogue settled.

Yet ever since then, Shady seems to hate Rogue.

He will let her play around (he just sits on 'his' chair and watchs her), but as soon as she trys to play with him ie get close to him... he blots away like he is scared of her and then once a safe distance away he hisses! He will then run off completely, but will always return within 5 mins and actually sniff around for Rogue

When we had vistors the other day, the kiddies were all playing with Rogue but with too much attention she get scared... when she yelped, Shady came in and hissed at the kids. He didnt go near Rogue but once she settled he left the room again??!

We have tried to make sure that Shady still gets the attention he always got but he is still acting strangely and unpredicable... which has left us scared to leave Rogue unsupervised.

Is there anyway we can encourage friendship or atleast civilisation here? Or are we doomed to always have a scared, hostile older cat?

Forgot to add: Shady has had the snip, so can not spray nor re-produce. Rogue will recieve the same treatment at 6 months.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 07:57 AM
bjh

45,303 posts, read 27,132,960 times
They do need time to get used to each other. It's normal for the established cat(s) to be jealous of the rookies.

Are they allowed to mingle more? Keeping them separate for a long time will make their adjustment to each other last longer, too.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
They do need time to get used to each other. It's normal for the established cat(s) to be jealous of the rookies.

Are they allowed to mingle more? Keeping them separate for a long time will make their adjustment to each other last longer, too.

Well Rogue and Shady have the run of the house all day - my Mum is home.

Each has their own 'areas' where they can hide away from the other.

Recently they have been able to stay in the same room together, and last night they even sat on the back of the same seat my nerves were all over the place and I was ready to jump but they settled. Although after a while Rogue wanted to cuddle into Shady and he hissed and swiped her with his paw (no claws) and she backed off.

Not quite sure if this is inprovment or not but

Anything else I can do??

Old 05-25-2009, 06:09 AM

24,669 posts, read 65,547,899 times
Leave them be and relax! This is all absolutely normal and they'll work it out on their own, really. Cheers!

Old 05-25-2009, 07:27 AM

19,857 posts, read 62,170,965 times
It took nearly 6 months for one cat I adopted to be accepted by the other 3. She crept around the edges of activities. My latest adoptee settled right in after about 1 week. You have to let them hiss and even roll around on the floor fighting as they decide who is boss. You cannot decide that for them - they will work it out. Actually, it sounds like it is going pretty well!

Old 05-26-2009, 03:59 AM

ok well... they were 'play fighting' last night... Rogue got a few clipped ears from Shadys paw (again no claws) but they seemed ok.

Lazy Shady even started playing!!! Something I have never seen him do. . he was chasing Rogue around and jumping about.

Again not sure - it kind of went from ''aww they are playing'' to ''err maybe their not playing'' -- Just wait and see I suppose.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:40 PM

11,798 posts, read 23,676,276 times
Wink New additions

I think it will work out. Just give it time. My brother may be moving in with me soon, and it may be similar between us. Cats are very conservative; they don't like change and it takes a while for them to accept it.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:44 PM

893 posts, read 1,487,294 times
I have a male tabby that is the 31/2 and a female maine coon that is 3. The tabby has always been an alpha BUT!!! when the Maine came into the house, it all changed. They still to this day will not stay in the same room or share the same food dish together.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:48 PM

350 posts, read 3,983,610 times
We brought home a three-month old male kitten a year ago as a new companion for our 4-year-old female cat after our other cat died. For months the two of them strongly disliked each other. The older female cat is very territorial and hissed, growled and slapped the kitten for months. We thought they would never get along. Additionally, the kitten was very aggressive toward the older cat--always pouncing and attacking her. They never slept together or groomed each other. Always slept seperately. The kitten was very sweet with us, it was clear however that he did not like the other cat.

Anyhow, we thought things would change after we neutered him at 6 months, but it didn't. Finally, out of the blue, 9 months after we got him, they became the best of friends. I'm not sure what caused this. All of a sudden they started cuddling together--for a short period of time at first, and then they started sleeping together. Now they're the best of friends. The kitten has mellowed out and is no longer super aggressive, so I think the older cat feels more comfortable with him. We never thought they would like each other--we thought they would always only tolerate each other. But we are thrilled that they now seem to be the best of friends. They still fight a lot, but it's balanced by lots of cuddling.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:56 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,459,751 times
Cats are all about picking order. When both of them find their place, they will settle down and live very happily together. I have two male cats aged 16 and 23 who will lay down together and groom each other until they suddenly decide to bite one another. When I try to interfer they look at me like I am crazy. I finally decided to let them work it out for themselves. They never hurt each other, it's just some kind of a control thing that they each need to experience at one time or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats