Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2009, 10:53 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,664,652 times

Advertisements

What are your stories from going from dry food to their natural diet. Was it easy, hard? cost? prep? After reading a giant article on it, i might be interested in converting my 3 kitties to this diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 05:24 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,664,652 times
No raw food users? I thought there would be at least one. Ok, how about this, how come you feed your cat dry food instead of raw food like in the wild?

Old 05-21-2009, 12:44 PM

244 posts, read 715,131 times
I can't help you on the raw thing. But, I do feed my kitties a high quality canned food because it has more water. Through my research I have found that cats(esp. males) are prone to kidney problems, and consuming enough water is very important in preventing these types of illnesses. Plus, they are at a healthier weight on moist food. Good luck!

Old 05-22-2009, 02:54 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,001,358 times
Our cats came to us accustomed to dry food. We introduced them to raw food and thru trial and error found a couple that they like - RadCat turkey and Nature's Variety lamb. They still love their dry food, though. We've gradually reduced the amount of dry food to the point where they get maybe a tablespoon of dry along with the raw foods. We'd eliminate the dry entirely, but the silly cats won't start eating until I pour it in the bowl!

Old 05-22-2009, 07:05 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,246,232 times
We use a prepackaged raw (Stella and Chewy's). It's easier to use than preparing your own and fairly inexpensive for cats. Our dog's food is quite expensive because he eats a lot more than the cat.

Stella and Chewy's FRESH from the FARM Pet Food :: all-natural frozen and freeze-dried raw petfood for dogs and cats :: Products for Cats (http://www.stellaandchewys.com/site/products_cats/ - broken link)

There are several companies that make prepackaged, frozen raw food. Primal uses lots of vegetables and fruits as "fillers" so you're overpaying for stuff cats can't properly digest. Nature's Variety was just bought out by a corporation that has nothing to do with pets, so the quality will go down and the price will go up shortly. Stella and Chewy is pure meat and the best product we have found so far for both the cat and dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats