U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 01:04 AM

469 posts, read 1,088,532 times

Advertisements

I just got an email from Nutro saying that they are recalling two kinds of cat food. here's the link for full details... NUTRO® Premium Pet Food for Dogs and Cats

Nutro Products Announces Voluntary Recall of Limited Range of Dry Cat Food Products

Franklin, Tennessee (May 21, 2009) -- Today, Nutro Products announced a voluntary recall of select varieties of NUTRO® NATURAL CHOICE® COMPLETE CARE® Dry Cat Foods and NUTRO® MAX® Cat Dry Foods with “Best If Used By Dates” between May 12, 2010 and August 22, 2010. The cat food is being voluntarily recalled in the United States and ten additional countries. This recall is due to incorrect levels of zinc and potassium in our finished product resulting from a production error by a US-based premix supplier.

Two mineral premixes were affected. One premix contained excessive levels of zinc and under-supplemented potassium. The second premix under-supplemented potassium. Both zinc and potassium are essential nutrients for cats and are added as nutritional supplements to NUTRO® dry cat food.

This issue was identified during an audit of our documentation from the supplier. An extensive review confirmed that only these two premixes were affected. This recall does not affect any NUTRO® dog food products, wet dog or cat food, or dog and cat treats.

Affected product was distributed to retail customers in all 50 states, as well as to customers in Canada, Mexico, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, and Israel. We are working with all of our distributors and retail customers, in both the US and internationally, to ensure that the recalled products are not on store shelves. These products should not be sold or distributed further.

Consumers who have purchased affected product should immediately discontinue feeding the product to their cats, and switch to another product with a balanced nutritional profile. While we have received no consumer complaints related to this issue, cat owners should monitor their cat for symptoms, including a reduction in appetite or refusal of food, weight loss, vomiting or diarrhea. If your cat is experiencing health issues or is pregnant, please contact your veterinarian.

Consumers who have purchased product affected by this voluntary recall should return it to their retailer for a full refund or exchange for another NUTRO® dry cat food product. Cat owners who have more questions about the recall should call 1-800-833-5330 between the hours 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM CST

Please if you feed this to your cats stop feeding them it until you find out if it's the affected cat food.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 01:13 AM

14,773 posts, read 29,593,031 times
And I have a big bag of it that the strays have been eating...... I guess I'll go use up my Purina Cat Chow coupons for now.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:16 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,298,621 times
We feed our cats Complete Choice Indoor Senior (Nutro)...but I just checked the bags and we don't have the dates they are recalling. We haven't had any health issues with our cats either (knocking on wood).

Old 05-22-2009, 12:07 PM

I had a big bag of the Adult Roasted Chicken flavor, but it was given to me, and I don't know what the dates on bag where. My hairdresser works next door to a PetPeople, and he gets me bags of food that have been returned. So I've been using the bag that he got me, but I threw the bag out. I keep the dry cat food in a five gallon paint bucket. I don't know whether to keep it or throw it out.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:55 PM

469 posts, read 1,088,532 times
My cats had just finished the bag of Nutro (and of course it's on the recall list...didn't find out about this until they were on the last bit ) all but one is doing well and even at that she's just lost a bit of weight and her appetite is good so I'm just monitoring her for now. I was in the process of switching them to Kirkland Signature brand (Costco) so they didn't get it "full strength."

Just monitor your cats and if you can get another brand you can mix it with just to make sure...but if you're real concerned go ahead and toss it. It's better to be safe than sorry with a big vet bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I had a big bag of the Adult Roasted Chicken flavor, but it was given to me, and I don't know what the dates on bag where. My hairdresser works next door to a PetPeople, and he gets me bags of food that have been returned. So I've been using the bag that he got me, but I threw the bag out. I keep the dry cat food in a five gallon paint bucket. I don't know whether to keep it or throw it out.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:37 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,449,075 times
Nutro seems to always have issues, and recalls. They, like many others, are outscoring the cheapest possible junk from China. I wish they'd go out of business already. It takes a BUNCH of animals dying and getting sick for a recall to -- FINALLY-- be issued. By then, it's too late and many pets have already paid the price.

Read those ingredients, folks!! (If it's not meat, it's not good for an obligate carnivore, period.) These "foods" are always cheapening ingredients. What was in these foods even 10 years ago has been replaced by way worse junk.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:04 PM

I ditched the Nutro, and bought a small bag of BG (Before Grain) chicken flavor. They have 1lb bags for $2.99.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:44 PM

I also bought four 3oz cans of BG cat food @$.97 each. My cat turned up his nose at the Turduckhen, (the outdoor cats had no problems with eating it), and I also bought Grammy's Pot Pie, Cowboy Cookout, and Thanksgiving Day Dinner. When I go to PetsMart again, I'll get some 3oz cans of Blue Buffalo, and see how he likes them. I'll report on each one.

But I think he needs to go on a diet, he's about 15lbs right now.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:24 PM

Well, he refuses to eat the BG canned food, but he ate part of a can of Sophisticat. The next time I go to PetsMart, I'm going to try some cans of Blue Buffalo. At least if he doesn't eat it, the outdoor cats will, so it won't go to waste.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:25 PM

Nutro is now off the recall list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats