Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 06:57 PM

2 posts, read 9,549 times

Advertisements

Five weeks ago I brought two siamese into my home at the same time. A 13 month old chocolate female who is just a total doll - super affectionate, and adjusted very quickly. The 3 year old seal point male is another matter.

He loves to sleep under the covers in my bed from 7 am to 10 pm..NEVER comes out!!! I get in bed he leaves and goes to the living room to be alone. He does not let me pet him - if I lift the covers to talk to him he will look at me and listen, but if I place my hand on the bed he moves to the other side. Progress has been made over the past five weeks in the sense that if I get out of bed to get a drink of water he will watch me from the sofa VERY warily. I talk to him while I get my drink, tell him to hold down the fort while I'm asleep, etc.

The previous owner (a breeder) told me he was a "bed warmer" but I did not realize this meant 15 hours a day. How can I help him to be comfortable with me - the night is full of his plaintive yowls. Should I pick him up and hold him? I would love to get him to sleep ON the covers so I could at least SEE my pet, but it sounds like he has a habit of beign under the covers. So he is always in the dark - under the covers during the day and he doesn't come out until 10 pm - is he scared of daylight too? Any help is greatly appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 08:58 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,873 times
This may sound silly, but maybe try luring him out and form a bond by using a piece of yarn and play with him. Every cat chases yarn.. Maybe it will make him more comfortable and get used to you. However, some cats are just plain scaredy cats their entire lives (no matter how well taken care of they are). Good luck, sorry I don't have better advice!

Old 07-12-2009, 11:26 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Poor kitty. He soumds like he's not been treated very well, or at least not socialized. The yarn is a good idea (or string or a piece of recording tape!). Maybe a laser pointer would work too; many cats find the little dot irresistible. Just be careful to keep it out of his eyes.

You can try picking him up and holding him, but he probably won't like it at first. Don't make him stay if he doesn't want to. A lot of TLC is in order.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:32 PM

672 posts, read 5,094,266 times
I agree with Catman.
I have good experience with just grabbing the shy cat and petting it, unless he uses claws or bites if you approach. After that they sort of feel safer and dare to explore, even though they may not seem to like it when you do it, it has worked with me.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 9,549 times
Thank you for the suggestions guys...I've thought about just grabbing him and holding him and petting him. The first time I do it, I'll be sure to wear long sleeves and gloves, just in case. He's such a beautiful cat - I really want it to work out.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:08 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiameseSanta View Post
Thank you for the suggestions guys...I've thought about just grabbing him and holding him and petting him. The first time I do it, I'll be sure to wear long sleeves and gloves, just in case. He's such a beautiful cat - I really want it to work out.
I'd start with just petting him, stroking the head, back ears and such. If he says stop then stop. Get him used to you. My cat was found at four weeks and despite me being "mom" to her she still isn't a lap cat and wants petting when and only when she asks. Still doesn't like being held. So maybe part of it is personality. But unless the owner gave a bigger and more believable explanation, I'd wonder if he was threatened or abused at some time. Playing is good too. Maybe treats as well. I'd make sure the sleeves were pretty thick if you try picking him up and he freaks. Maybe sit on the couch next to him and pet him or give him a treat too. Maybe he's not used to being handled and needs to get used to it.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:00 PM

7 posts, read 18,479 times
Siamese cats are ment to be very out going and usually you can't get them out of your face, to me this sounds like he may have something wrong with him, you should take him to a vet or ring up a vet and ask them about this behaviour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats