Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 01:20 PM

13 posts, read 82,296 times

Advertisements

DH and I have just purchased a home and now that we have a yard he believes that we need to have a dog... The hitch is we already have a 5 year old male cat, Dennis. Dennis has lived with other cats before (I'm not sure how that went though), but never a dog. We were thinking a puppy would be better as it'll be young enough to become acclimated to a cat and Dennis could still "rule his roost" as it were. I know it will take a while for them to cohabitate, but does anyone have any advice on how to make it safe and comfortable for both of them? (Dennis will have plenty of space and room to hide and we will crate puppy while we're gone to avoid any accidental rough play). Also with a male cat does the sex of a new pet matter?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 01:46 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,403,111 times
Intros should go slow. It is all about scent in acclimating them. Rub each one down with a towel and exchange towels....let the puppy lie on the cats towel and vice-a-versa.
Kennel the puppy and let the cat circle him....leash the pup and let him come out of the kennel...try and keep him quite and calm...The cat will hiss and yowl...but curiosity will get the better of him and he will want to investigate. The pup will probably need to get his nose swatted a few times before he realizes cats come equipped with claws.
It just takes time and patience and make sure everyone stays safe. A rambuctious puppy can really scare a cat...and a cat flying at a puppy could scare him for life. SLOW is the key!
Check out my "Jax is home thread". Just introduced a new kitten to our other resident cats and Dylan, our Golden Retriever, this past weekend.
And no...sex of the puppy will make no difference.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:47 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,173,926 times
It sounds as if you've already got it figured out pretty well. There will likely be some unpleasantries at first, but they should get along all right afterwards. Just give them time. I can't answer the question about the gender of the new pet...I wouldn't think it would matter too much. The personalities involved will be the main focus.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:47 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
I have had cats and dogs for close to 30 yrs and never had a problem. Just remember a puppy needs to be trained for housebreaking. An older dog who is already house-broken and calmer might work out better, depending on your schedule and patience. Puppies require a lot of patience!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats