U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 07:40 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,221,766 times

Advertisements

How long would you advertise it in the newspaper, on the radio or internet - assuming doing so was free for 7 days then would cost something?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 11:21 PM

4,856 posts, read 12,825,288 times
I'd go that route as a last resort, after phoning around to every shelter in the area and posting flyers throughout the neighborhood. Take it from me, even flyering is bad enough. Along with a few sicko prank calls ("I think your cat was the one I ran over last night, hahaha <click>") and many more from well-meaning people with advice you'd already thought of and/or leads that don't pan out, you might get the one you're waiting for. Although the prospect of "microchipping" people is scary, doing so for a pet causes them no harm and could well mean that a disappearance ends up happily. Every reputable vet clinic, animal control department, and shelter has equipment to check for the chip. A collar and tags only seem foolproof. My cat found ways to extricate herself from enough of those that I finally threw in the towel and got her microchipped instead.
To sum it up: if calls to every kind of place that receives lost animals - and, yes, to the local street/highway maintenance department - turn up nothing, fall back on flyering. But if you're set on advertising to a broader audience, craigslist would be the way to go. Posts are left on the site for a week, but nothing's preventing you from putting up a new one on the seventh day if need be.
I was once separated from my cat for nearly three weeks, during which time I kept the blocks around my house heavily flyered. On one Sunday morning I put 300 or so flyers in every single house and apartment mailbox within about a half-mile. The door-to-door effort brought the lead which led me to the kitty, who despite having a collar with her name and phone number inked on it was being kept by a "foster family" who had had her brought to them after someone else had scooped her off a sidewalk and taken her to a shelter. Scary times those were, and no scarier than when the clueless do-gooders threatened to take ownership. This story's being shared only to illustrate that giving up is not an option. If a beast hasn't turned up, living or dead, at any of the logical places s/he has to be out there somewhere.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:02 AM

11,798 posts, read 23,918,361 times
Not enough people read the newspaper around here for that to have much chance of helping. They'd have to read the Lost Pets section and care enough (not to mention remembering). Not much chance of that.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:40 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,221,766 times
My problem is a found cat, rather than a lost one. This cat, I believe, is destined to be mine. I know she has been on her own at least long enough to have had and completely weaned a litter of kittens. When I picked her up from a lady in the neighborhood that had been feeding them all, I was under the impression I was giving a feral cat a home. In very short order, I could tell that this is no feral cat. She is very people friendly, loves attention, will leave her food just for the prospect of being petted, or feeling my ankles as she walks between my legs.

I should think someone is heartbroken that this cat went missing.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:28 AM
'M'

1,899 posts, read 2,960,398 times
Cat-lover that I am...after reading all of these posts, I think the idea of putting flyers everywhere is the best tactic. People love their cats...the loss of one can be devastating. Goyguy has the best idea...with the flyers...if someone REALLY wants to find their pet...or really wants the owner of the pet to know their pet has been found.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:28 AM

My cat was quite the wanderer in her younger years. Even when she was keeping her collar and tags on, all it took was a tale of woe to an unwitting passerby and off she'd go. ("She followed us, crying, for two blocks. And then as soon as I opened the passenger door she jumped in.") Our neighborhood is heavily populated by students and other short-term residents who often don't stay put much longer than a year or two - and who make no effort to familiarize themselves with the area or get to know people. No small number of calls from cat finders originated from laughably close locations; the caller had no clue that the feline claiming to be lost and starving dwelled just around the corner or no more than a block or two away. Once during the no-collar, pre-microchip era I did find a "found cat" flyer about Weasie as I scoured the neighborhood after she didn't come home one night. With two exceptions, never did I fault anybody for taking her to their place or for phoning after she'd sneaked into a house or car behind them. That cat had her sad-eyed, wailing schtick down pat. Who was to know that she'd just eaten some Cat Chow and was looking to upgrade? Or that she knew good and well where home was, but that it didn't suit her to wait for her stepdad to return from work?
But in this case, sadly, reading that this found feline had recently birthed and nursed a litter told me all I needed to know. Not only are there heartless people in this world, there are others who are caught in the unemployment/foreclosure mess that's running rampant in the US. That cat was driven to what for her would be unfamiliar territory, and dumped. Someone decided that they couldn't afford to bring her to a shelter (although that's an absurd thought), that the money to spay her wasn't there, or that it posed an inconvenience. Be thankful that a worse fate didn't befall them. When I had a job in an office building adjacent to an Interstate, expectant cats would turn up in crawl spaces under the building all the time. They didn't get there on their own. Weasie herself had been found in an apartment-house lobby, abandoned in a crate with her siblings, late one night. Some road kill is the consequence of jerks who didn't even take the trouble to ditch their pet in a secure spot.
You might want to do some perfunctory flyering, and a craigslist post, to quiet your conscience. But I'll bet the farm that you have an abandoned cat family on your hands.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:33 AM

2,091 posts, read 8,698,763 times
We lost our Sasha, its been a year ago next month. I kept ads running in both papers for a few weeks, and put up about 100flyers/posters. They stayed up for months. I ran another ad in craigslist a few weeks ago asking for any infor at all and a min. 100.00reward. I still have flyers at all the vets and the shelter, check petfinder/craigslist/lost&found section weekly, and even yesterday, on our walk w/the dogs, was calling for him. We think either someone killed him or the racoons in the woods near us got him. But I'll always have that hope he will come back. Especially since his little BFF still calls for him every day when she helps walk the dogs.
If I could go back and do it again, Sasha would be micro-chipped and a totally indoor kitty. We learned the hard way.
have you called the shelter/vets and/or sent them a flyer w/her picture just in case the owner is still searching for her? Some of us who lose a beloved furbaby look for a very long time.
If you cant find her owner, or it turns out she was just dumped then Im simply thrilled she found her way to you. Best of luck with all of this!

Old 07-26-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
Especially since his little BFF still calls for him every day when she helps walk the dogs.
Doubtful. Cats' instincts are eerie. When Weasie was brought to my place, it was along with one of her siblings. She and her brother were a devoted pair. They got into their scuffles and arguments (part of which had to do with DNA "programming" to defend territory and to hunt) but were heavily into swapped grooming and loved to snooze right next to each other. After they were confined to the house for over a month, I'd started letting the cats out for brief periods of time to get them acclimated to their neighborhood. They'd become familiarized to where home was when the brother vanished just ahead of a blizzard one morning. While Weasie ran around frantically and peed on the rug and some furniture in distress, I ventured into the storm countless times to comb the surrounding streets calling him. No sooner did the weather let up on the following day than I was at the copy shop printing a stack of flyers. That was after making all the obligatory shelter/animal-control phone calls. But it was all for naught. Spooky thing about it was, when I got back from the copy shop Weasie had already gone into mourning. For over two weeks thereafter, she'd spend hours in one place howling and wailing. Petting and consoling were barely acknowledged, and food went practically untouched. She knew her brother would never come home again.
But you might want to observe whether the bereaved cat is always vocalizing in the same location, because that could mean something. A coyote or other large predatory animal might've dispatched Sasha at that spot (they tend to be voracious and non-selective in their eating, leaving little to no evidence.) Or an owl or bird of prey might've swooped in and seized the cat there. It could also mean that Sasha was struck by a vehicle or deliberately killed, then buried where the companion feline talks. I wouldn't discount the possibility if the meowing always starts up in the same spot. Consult with your vet to see whether it'd be worth asking the property owner for permission to dig. Not that finding skeletal remains would be a pleasant thing, but the mystery would be solved.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:32 PM

2,091 posts, read 8,698,763 times
oh...i think i shouldve clarified. Sashas BFF is my 7yr old little girl. Human.
They had an incredible bond that Ive never seen the likes of before. I know if Sasha could come home to her, he would.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:05 PM

13,768 posts, read 36,563,095 times
just this last month my male (fixed) cat accidently got out (thanks to my dog opening the patio door) and decided to go visit my neighbor's cats. He stayed there over a month. Her cats are outside cats and she feeds them outside so he had no need to come home. I finally saw him in another neighbor's backyard and I drove around to his house and got out the food bowl and can cat food so I could entice him close enough to catch him. He didn't seem to miss me at all.. just the food

He has been in the house and hasn't tried to escape at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats