Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 02:32 PM

557 posts, read 2,611,062 times

Advertisements

How well do the electronic litter boxes work? Any favorite brands? Thinking of getting one--I believe our adult cat would find it entertaining as well as she loves it went the printer starts printing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 02:48 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
I had one and I loved it. However cleaning out the tray it scoops all the mess into is still a mess and you have to keep buying those trays.

They do have one that hooks into the water at your toilet and it scoops the poop and pee into a grinder that turns it into a slurry and a hose that delivers it to the toilet. Its amazing. I would LOVE to have one of those however its a couple hundred bucks.

I have a couple cats who I am pretty sure I can train to get up on the toilet and use it that way, but a couple others who probably wouldn't be so cooperative.

I used to have three cats, I had two of them trained but the fat, white one simply refused. So I gave up the notion. I think I might go ahead this time and train the ones that will do it to cut down on the amount of scooping necessary.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:21 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
We have had LitterMaids for about 10 years now. I re-use the plastic trays over and over...just wash them out once a week or so, and one can last for 5-6 months. My only fault with the LM is that you can not use too much litter. Fill it to the red line and only that far or else the motor is not strong enough to push thru the litter. You must use clumping litter. Once in awhile the rake will get mushed up with the litter and then it acts like a shovel...but that doesn't happen too often. Your best buying the Mega LitterMaid...the originals are sort of small...unless of course your cat is on the small size.

There is one...my daughter bought it and returned it very quickly...can't remember what it is called...but it looks just like Kenny on South Park...it is roundish and spins in order to clean...one of her cats got stuck in it! I would stay away from the one...it was called something like the Litter Bot or something like that.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:13 PM

85 posts, read 143,356 times
I tried the LitterMaid once - but one of my cats like to mound all the litter up in the middle of the box - which made the rake go off track. Big waste.

Last edited by catzkc; 08-02-2009 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: my kitty was helping me type!

Old 08-04-2009, 12:35 AM

947 posts, read 3,409,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post

There is one...my daughter bought it and returned it very quickly...can't remember what it is called...but it looks just like Kenny on South Park...it is roundish and spins in order to clean...one of her cats got stuck in it! I would stay away from the one...it was called something like the Litter Bot or something like that.

That is so scary, what if no one was home!? Not to mention the kitty would never use it again anyway.

Yeah, think it is called - Litter Robot.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:45 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
I couldn't get one. Our cat loves to pile the stuff so high that it spills over and rather than in a classy way of stepping out gingerly, she tears out of the box making more of a mess.

I just wish I could teach her to open the closet door, get a bag and the scooper and clean her box and then vacuum her mess up.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:40 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
LitterMaid and Litter Bot both require cleaning - so what's the point? I have family members that own those contraptions. We have waaay more cats and our litter box doesn't smell. Both of the boxes stink because they beleive they "take care of themselves" and wait till they are overfilled will urine and feces.

It's cheaper, easier, and more sanitary to use a standard open litter box and a scooper.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:02 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post

It's cheaper, easier, and more sanitary to use a standard open litter box and a scooper.
Thats what we use. Actually its a rubbermaid box from walmart, cheap and big enough. However she waits until you clean it, then goes, then you clean it again and just when you think you're done, she goes again.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:31 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
The whole idea is to have a clean box for the any cat who enters. I empty the trays everyday...once a day...with 6 cats, for me it works perfectly. No smell, no mess. Granted, the tray left filled is bound to stink...but that's just being unsanitary and lazy.
I like the idea of a clean box for any cat who goes in, as it scoops 10 min after the last cat exits.

I like them so much....I have 3 +3 Breeze boxes.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:55 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Granted, the tray left filled is bound to stink...but that's just being unsanitary and lazy.
True, true. That describes my sister and her litterbot. For her - it's out of sight, out of mind. I guess her nose doesn't work.

So - you are right, it's not the box - it's the owner.

We have one HUGE box with multiple cats. We scoop 4 or more times a day. The box is very deep and almost all of the cats bury their waste very deep. Thank heaven - that makes for less odor.

I know they recommend as many boxes as cats - but our cats always want to use the box that's occupied anyway!! The only litterbox problems we encountered were due to medical issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats