Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 02:11 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times

Advertisements

I took my cat in today for her yearly check up and they cleaned her teeth. Her teeth were very bad and two had to be pulled. The vet said it was probably genetic that caused it, she eats dry food. But the cost is $700 This is for everything. I know a lot of people think I'm nuts for paying that much money on my cat, but she is family to me. Also she's a Ragdoll, and we paid $650 for her three years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 02:30 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Isn't it outrageous what vets are charging these days? Periodontal disease leads to other problems, so if the animal is young I would bite that particular bullet as well. My experience has been that older pets have a very hard time with teeth pullings.

Last month I paid just over $350 for a stray to get his shots & neutered.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:39 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
$350 for shots and neuteroed ? ??????

I paid $25 for shots and my inlaws dog was like $30 to neuter. Id find another vet if I were you!

Old 04-23-2007, 02:43 PM

364 posts, read 526,727 times
I Love NC- Nuts? Far from it!!! Don't even think that. My furkids are my family and best friends. Doesn't matter if it is my free animal shelter mut or my pure bred Shih Tzu- I love them all the same and tons for that matter. You did what needed to be done. I will never think twice about spending money for my furkids health. The only thing I will do is shop around for prices.

I paid $180 to spay my Shih Tzu. I have never heard of a $30 neuter before. Hum.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:09 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,729 times
You are certainly not nuts, but some vet places can be different from others.
Have found (at least in Phila area) that the "no frills" vets (don't sell stuff; just there to diagnose & treat) to have more normal pricing. Doctors tend to be extremely thorough as well, in our experiences, to boot.

Maybe give some other practices a call for future reference :>)

Last edited by Travel'r; 04-23-2007 at 03:18 PM..

Old 04-23-2007, 03:17 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Yup, all it was was $30. For some reason i got to watch

Old 04-23-2007, 04:19 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I took my cat in today for her yearly check up and they cleaned her teeth. Her teeth were very bad and two had to be pulled. The vet said it was probably genetic that caused it, she eats dry food. But the cost is $700 This is for everything. I know a lot of people think I'm nuts for paying that much money on my cat, but she is family to me. Also she's a Ragdoll, and we paid $650 for her three years ago.
I don't know if there is special consideration for the breed you mentioned. But I have had two dentals done this year on two of my dogs. Both needed to be put under for it and it cost $180 for one and $200 for the other. Shots and exams run me $165 a year. I have been told that I use the most expensive vet in the area so I think you may have been taken a bit. But again I don't know if that is a special breed cat or if for some reason cats cost more.

I don't think spending money on your pets is ever crazy...because they are family. But I do think it's always good to get quotes for services from surrounding vets in the area to be sure you aren't getting cheated either. I have done this for major services and occaisionally gone elsewhere for treatments. My vets have always been supportive of this as they individually totally understand how expensive they are (it's a big chain vet so they can't lower their prices). Glad your furry family member is ok now.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:20 PM

Thanks every one. I don't regret spending the money. She is my baby and I dearly love her. Years ago I took in a stray and 3 months later found out he needed very expensive surgery on his kidneys and yep I did it. I'm a sucker for my pets.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:24 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Isn't it outrageous what vets are charging these days? Periodontal disease leads to other problems, so if the animal is young I would bite that particular bullet as well. My experience has been that older pets have a very hard time with teeth pullings.

Last month I paid just over $350 for a stray to get his shots & neutered.
This won't help you this time but next time look into local low cost spay/nueter programs. Usually you can find this information from your local Animal Control facility. There are also usually shot clinics that are held periodically for vaccines and heartworm testing.

Here anyone can utilize the low cost programs, but you have to meet income requirements for the no cost programs.

For dogs here low cost is:

Spay is $45
Neuter is $26
Rabies vaccine is $10
Distemper is $8
heartworm testing is $15

That's a huge savings around her as it costs around $200 to spay a dog...and that's the cheap vet prices!

Old 04-23-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I don't know if there is special consideration for the breed you mentioned. But I have had two dentals done this year on two of my dogs. Both needed to be put under for it and it cost $180 for one and $200 for the other. Shots and exams run me $165 a year. I have been told that I use the most expensive vet in the area so I think you may have been taken a bit. But again I don't know if that is a special breed cat or if for some reason cats cost more.

I don't think spending money on your pets is ever crazy...because they are family. But I do think it's always good to get quotes for services from surrounding vets in the area to be sure you aren't getting cheated either. I have done this for major services and occaisionally gone elsewhere for treatments. My vets have always been supportive of this as they individually totally understand how expensive they are (it's a big chain vet so they can't lower their prices). Glad your furry family member is ok now.
Her teeth were at a grade 3, grade 4 is the worst, they had to a lot of cleaning, she had a lot of tarter also this includes her shots, flea medicine, the office visit and pain medicine. I really to trust my vet, he's also a friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats