U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 03:12 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,492,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I have a carrier with a front door. I stand it on the back end out of sight/sound of Emma, then grab her and drop her in head-first. She is not happy but she goes. The others just go in when I put them in front of it but she hates it. Yowls all the way over and inside, finally shuts up when whatever is being done is over. Good luck!
Absolutely right on! I have raised 8 cats to ages mostly over 20 years old. This is the only method that is painless for the cat and me. Yeah they get mad, but you make sure you have their favorite treat to give them when you get home and they forgive you quickly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 04:29 AM

826 posts, read 1,556,816 times
Such helpful replies--reps all around!

My cat carrier is a soft one with net sides and a front opening. I have set it it the living room and he is curious about it. Though, if I come near it, he runs away. (He's a suspicious little dude, and rightfully so!) Knowing my cat, I think the method that will work best is a combination of the ideas offered. I will place the cat carrier out of sight with opening up. Pick up cat, shield his eyes, hold his front and hind legs and put him in rear end first. Hopefully, that will do the job without too much pain.

Thanks all!

Old 08-06-2009, 06:57 AM

4,486 posts, read 7,836,989 times
Our older one was easy (R.I.P), she didn't want to go but she whined more than clawed or ran.

The younger one is a bit tougher but I got used to how she behaves. First sound of the carrier she takes off. So we do this one of two ways. Either get the carrier out the night before and leave it hidden behind some furniture with the door open (she'll take off if you just open the door) or leave it in the closet until the next day when she's supposed to go. I will feed her, pet her and grab her and hold her as if I'm giving her a hug. She's got both paws on my left shoulder and I carry her like you would a small child. With one exception at this point. I don't support her back legs. Now this doesn't hurt her, but what it does is it makes her less mobile so she can't get a good footing to take off and claw me in the process. I hold onto her tight so that her movement is limited but I am not crushing her. I go in the bedroom and close the door.

At that point she knows something is going on but it limits the amount of stress and chance of her escaping. I have my back to the door and I kneel down, I tell my wife to come in with the carrier. MY wife will bring it in with the door open and close to the floor. I quickly turn around put her in face first and nudge her inside.

She's not happy but we've got it down to 5 to 10 minutes. It used to be 30 minutes because we made the mistake of getting the carrier and then calling the cat and trying to catch her.

But remember, you have to know how your cat is going to react, so the way you go about it will be different. Ours will not claw or his at us intentionally. All she wants to do is get away and cats use their claws for sure footing. So we may get clawed in the process but we know its because of that and not because she's trying to fight us.

You also might want to put the cat in a blanket so its claws can't get at you and try it like that.

By the way, for some unknown reason, our cat grows suction cups while in the carrier and getting her out in the vets office is very tough.

But we love her anyway.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:45 AM

672 posts, read 4,966,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
Back end first with the carrier tilted up.
I like this method as well. I do keep the carrier available and open for my cat 24/7. She enjoys sleeping and napping in it. But when I want to put her inside myself and lock her there. She keeps crying and crying aaaaall the way to the vet or wherever we're going.

Keep in mind, I do take public transportation.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrineA View Post
I like this method as well. I do keep the carrier available and open for my cat 24/7. She enjoys sleeping and napping in it. But when I want to put her inside myself and lock her there. She keeps crying and crying aaaaall the way to the vet or wherever we're going.

Keep in mind, I do take public transportation.
Have you told her to use her indoor voice when you're on the bus or cab?

Old 08-06-2009, 08:54 AM

38,974 posts, read 69,314,958 times
I just stuff 'em in. Head first, holding their front paws together. Slam the door before they figure out what's going on.

And then of course they get a treat. (Yeah, I'm a sucker for a sad face ... )

I found it best to put the carrier on the kitchen counter, so that the carrier is at waist height, which is where it's easiest to carry the cat in order to get the most momentum.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:07 AM

One other hint with using a blanket, make sure their front legs are covered and that the cat is wrapped like a roll. Without the use of their front legs, the chance of them escaping are less. However you have to watch that they don't back up out of the blanket.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:32 AM

5,080 posts, read 14,121,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
...stuff 'em in...Head first, holding their front paws together...Slam the door...put the carrier on the kitchen counter...
That's the method I use also.
By having the carrier at waist height, it's easy to block them with your body as they try to escape before you get the door closed.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:33 AM

61,281 posts, read 83,019,230 times
by playing and asking nice, or 3 strong men and a box of bandaids.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:50 AM

672 posts, read 4,966,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Have you told her to use her indoor voice when you're on the bus or cab?
LOL, good idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats