Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 05:43 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,687,817 times

Advertisements

Is it normal for my kitten to growl/hiss when you enter the kitchen while she is eating? I can be across the room from her dish and she hisses at me. I know with puppies you are supposed to pet them while they eat. Is the true for kittens as well?

On a related note (in a way)- how many times a day should she go to the bathroom? I took her to the vet today and forgot to ask. She is only 5 weeks old.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 05:50 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,946,607 times
I would say she should be using the kitty box at least three times a day depending on her food and liquid intake . and yes you should be petting her and touching her while she is eating . good luck with her and she is probably cute as a button .

Old 08-17-2009, 05:55 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,256,002 times
Wow 5 weeks old is really young! Yes, pet her and stick your hand near the bowl...the time is now to teach her that growling or hissing is unacceptable. As stated above...4-5 times depending on her food and water intake.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:30 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,961,606 times
This is the kitten that you just found, right? She has probably been having to fight for her food, if she's even had any since she got dumped. Personally I'd wait until she's settled in a bit and has had time to realize that there is plenty of food in your home. If she's still defensive, then start behavior modification. For the next few days I'd avoid stressing her.

Last edited by kansas sky; 08-17-2009 at 06:40 PM..

Old 08-17-2009, 06:32 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,256,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
This is the kitten that you just found, right? She has probably been having to fight for her food, if she even has any since she got dumped. Personally I'd wait until she's settled in a bit and has had time to realize that there is plenty of food in your home. If she's still defensive, then start behavior modification. For the next few days I'd avoid stressing her.
I'd agree here...didn't realize you've just found her...I'm behind on threads

Old 08-17-2009, 07:23 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,687,817 times
Alright- thanks
I will give her a few days to get adjusted and then start with the petting.

And, she is going potty more than I thought. I just scooped her litter box and she is fine. She must sneak in there while I do laundry and stuff and am not paying attention.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:50 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,300,546 times
Remember that your new baby is just that. A baby! They have tiny little bladders are are learning what it's all about.

Sometimes small kittens hiss during dinner. They feel threatened and since we are small....we're going to feel VERY threatened. Hopefully, we'll get out of that stage once we figured out we're got a home, food, cat box, toys, a human......

Cats are very sneaky creatures too. I have an Equptian Mau and we were outside yesterday. We were on the porch sititting there watching squirels. I turned my head and he ahd quietly bounded off for one of those pesky critters! I wouldn';t have know he darted off if the squirel hadn't started scolding my cat!

So even in old age they're sneaky!

Old 08-18-2009, 11:35 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,928,475 times
my Annabelle Lee was born feral, of feral clans and she was very food aggressive when she was younger. Poor Bubba it seemed could never eat, she'd come and shoulder him out of the way, and he's such a gentle wuss, he'd let her, She's gradually (5 or 6 years) realized she doesn't have to worry about food. Treats on the other hand, she'll gobble hers and attack him to get his. I have to give him a few. give her hers and go back and sit with him and give him a few more. He usually leaves 1 or 2 for her to "find". It's one of their games.

She took to the litter box without any hesitation, but used to pile the litter into a mountain and tinkle on the mountain, not dig a hole. then when she was done, she'd scatter it across. Kind smart. She also used to stop and run out of the box, if I came into the room near the box. She's getting better about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats