Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 02:25 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,517,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
I have a 15.5 lb Manx and she is definately a Manx type. She totally thinks she is one of the dogs and I bet I could walk her on a least with them if I tried. She also has that bulldog physicue which is why her nickname is The Whopper. And, considering she is not only fat but blind in one eye, it's amazing how great a huntress she is. She is constantly killing the frogs and toads for me, which makes me love her even more as I hate frogs/toads and the only time she has gone too far was the beautiful blue bird she left fully intact for me on my bedroom floor.
Ours is an indoor cat; but I have read that Manx are voracious hunters, relative to other cats. We did walk"CeeCee" on a leash...but in Florida she got fleas every time, so we had to stop....they appear very trainable when young and I have read will easily go in a car, if you start at their youth.

When I was a kid in Pennsylvania our cat would bring home snakes and even brought a copperhead snake into the house....thankfully dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 02:48 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,465 times
Meet Annie, a Russian Blue Manx who showed up at my doorstep preggers more than 10 years ago.

I've moved several times and had to let her live out at the barn I boarded my horse at for a while and she loved it and so did the barn owner...she single handedly cleaned up the rodent problem even tho they had other lazy cats

I eventually bought 10 acres and she has lived here ever since, she's indoor/outdoor per her request she's now in her middle to late teens and still hunts, yesterday I saw her on my barn roof and to get there she would have had to climb a tree and then jump...LOL Still going strong.

I had never been a cat person until she came along, she's very dog like, affectionate and will go for walks with me and my dogs. Even tho I live in coyote country I don't have to worry about her she knows how to stay safe and my "neighbors" have over 1200 acres for her to roam, she'll go to their barns and clean out their rodent problem when there's none here for her. They love her and have always asked if they can "rent" her when their rodents get bad but she must know because she shows up and works for a few days and comes back fat and happy. Even tho she's getting on up there in age she brought me a bat the other day now how did she catch a bat

She also gets along well with my JRT

She's very very smart, I taught her to ask to go out by ringing a bell I hung on the door, and she even puts up with my 7 mo old Sheltie who mauls her regularly, when she's had enough she'll hiss, spit, bat at him but no claws out. She's very very "motherly" and when he was quite small she would "babysit" when I was gone.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:44 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,547,200 times
ReturningWest, your Russian Blue Manx is beautiful! I love Russian Blues. She sounds a lot like our Tommy, in many of her ways. He freguently gets on top of our out buildings. He hunts voles, and kills moles. He slaps at us when we annoy him, but his claws are not out. He growls a lot.
I sure hope the bat was not rabid!
We have coyotes and bear and our two cats are very leary of them. The bear has been quite active around our place this summer, and has the cats on edge.
They hate and fear the neighbor's Terriors, but only growl at another neighbor's Great Pyrenees.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:57 PM

672 posts, read 5,093,616 times
Is that a Manx crossed with a Russian Blue or is it a blue Manx? Either way, it's very beautiful and kind of fluffy. The dog looks like Odie from Garfield Sweet picture. Bf and me aw'ed at it

Old 09-24-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Meet Annie, a Russian Blue Manx who showed up at my doorstep preggers more than 10 years ago.

I've moved several times and had to let her live out at the barn I boarded my horse at for a while and she loved it and so did the barn owner...she single handedly cleaned up the rodent problem even tho they had other lazy cats

I eventually bought 10 acres and she has lived here ever since, she's indoor/outdoor per her request she's now in her middle to late teens and still hunts, yesterday I saw her on my barn roof and to get there she would have had to climb a tree and then jump...LOL Still going strong.

I had never been a cat person until she came along, she's very dog like, affectionate and will go for walks with me and my dogs. Even tho I live in coyote country I don't have to worry about her she knows how to stay safe and my "neighbors" have over 1200 acres for her to roam, she'll go to their barns and clean out their rodent problem when there's none here for her. They love her and have always asked if they can "rent" her when their rodents get bad but she must know because she shows up and works for a few days and comes back fat and happy. Even tho she's getting on up there in age she brought me a bat the other day now how did she catch a bat

She also gets along well with my JRT

She's very very smart, I taught her to ask to go out by ringing a bell I hung on the door, and she even puts up with my 7 mo old Sheltie who mauls her regularly, when she's had enough she'll hiss, spit, bat at him but no claws out. She's very very "motherly" and when he was quite small she would "babysit" when I was gone.
Beautiful cat and wonderful story; they are very special cats. Ours too is very affectionate and attentive.....she follows us all around the house. According to some literature I read, the Manx breed has a longer lifespan than most cats, generally of course. PS...I forgot to mention that she has a beautiful fur color.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:49 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,682,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Ours is an indoor cat; but I have read that Manx are voracious hunters, relative to other cats. We did walk"CeeCee" on a leash...but in Florida she got fleas every time, so we had to stop....they appear very trainable when young and I have read will easily go in a car, if you start at their youth.

My cat, and for the record she is an indoor cat, she is only allowed on the outside lania, loves to ride in the car. She also loves being carted around in her fake Louis Vuitton carrier which she also uses as a bed during the day. I swear I forget she is a cat sometimes lol.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:52 PM

Our Manx pays NO attention at all to catnip; it just does not interest her nor does it affect her like it did every other cat I have ever known. Anyone else notice this trait in their cat or their Manx?

Old 09-29-2009, 10:03 PM

672 posts, read 5,093,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Our Manx pays NO attention at all to catnip; it just does not interest her nor does it affect her like it did every other cat I have ever known. Anyone else notice this trait in their cat or their Manx?
My cat takes no interest in catnip either. I've given her plenty of catnip toys and also bought a catnip spray. She just sniffs on the toys and what I spray and walks away, like she's saying "whatever...".

She's a Maine Coon. They're not known to not take interest in it. She's just special

You could try to grow a catnip plant and see if she reacts to that. Must be stronger straight from the source.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:39 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,547,200 times
Our Tommy likes the plants, but is not very interested in the 'so-called' catnip toys.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:35 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,682,147 times
My Manx has no use for catnip either. She could care less about any of the cat toys. She will however try to swipe my 76lb shep/chow/lab mix's latex chicken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats