Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 01:14 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,924,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
8) Babies can be allergic because I used to have asthma when I was young
Actually, I thought I read somehwere recently (must look up) that childern who were raised with pets in the home were less likely to have asthma because they develop a tolerance/immunity from the pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 01:17 PM

605 posts, read 2,989,800 times
My parents had a cat when I was a baby - lots of people do. I attribute my love of cats to having cats around me from my earliest days.

A good way to keep the cat out of the babies' room is to put up a screen door. and I think there was a study done that shows that children that come from homes with pets are much less likely to have pet allergies - it's the kids who are not exposed to them from an early age that have problems with dander.

Quote:
5) Kitty will scratch baby when baby pulls on their tail
This one can be true (although many cats will tolerate it very well), but it is a chance to teach children to be nice to kitty.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:19 PM

577 posts, read 2,060,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Actually, I thought I read somehwere recently (must look up) that childern who were raised with pets in the home were less likely to have asthma because they develop a tolerance/immunity from the pets.
I've heard that also.

The things these people are saying are unfounded. The issue of cats and pregnancy is that if a pregnant woman comes into contact with cat poop the woman is at risk of getting Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS). "They" say a pregnant woman should not clean cat litter boxes for that reason. But as far as cats and babies go, just using common sense and keeping an eye on things is what's most important.

And the breath stealing thing is from a Stephen King book/movie "Cat's Eye."

Old 09-16-2009, 01:22 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,340,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna B. View Post
My parents had a cat when I was a baby
And you lived to tell about it? It didn't steal your breath or your soul?

Old 09-16-2009, 01:23 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I have read this too.

I also think it is psychologically good for children to have pets too - it can help them to learn to care for another living creature, gives them responsibility and, while of course it is always terribly sad to lose a pet, it can also help them to learn to deal with the issue of mortality.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashburnite View Post
I've heard that also.

The things these people are saying are unfounded. The issue of cats and pregnancy is that if a pregnant woman comes into contact with cat poop the woman is at risk of getting Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS). "They" say a pregnant woman should not clean cat litter boxes for that reason. But as far as cats and babies go, just using common sense and keeping an eye on things is what's most important.

And the breath stealing thing is from a Stephen King book/movie "Cat's Eye."
Probably so, but I never had a pet until I got married and I did develop a slight case of asthma when I was a child. However, pets don't bother me. What triggers it is anything in an aerosol can when sprayed, cigarette smoke and dust. But I can pick up my cat and hold her and hug her and I'm fine.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:27 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,326,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseystarz
Just keep an eye on the cats behavior with the small ones when they get there.

Yup, I can picture a little kid running after the cat yelling "Kitty" and trying to grab its tail, or put bows or ribbons on the cat or trying to dress it up.

Hey sounds like something I did to that cat! He was best friend. My early memories were of me trying to walk and get over to the cat to grab it's tail!

Old 09-16-2009, 01:34 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
I babysit my grandson who just turned 1. He has always been fascinated with my 2 cats and they are fascinated with him. They look at each other and he tries to get close to them but they stay out of reach. They don't want their fur pulled, which babies do. For the most part it's been ok and funny to watch the three of them.

Now when he can walk and then run I am sure the cats will hide. They won't be aggressive unless backed into a corner but you can tell the child not to do those things to the cat. It all depends on the cat's temperament. My hubby carried a cat around by the tail when he was little, or so his parents told him. Some cats will let kids do anything to them as long as it doesn't hurt then others will hide and not want to be around the baby but most cats will be like mine. They get use to each other and live together just fine.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:57 PM

605 posts, read 2,989,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashburnite View Post
I've heard that also.

It is actually toxoplasmosis, not TSS. But, if you have been cleaning the litterbox all along you have already been exposed to it (if your cats even have it - not all do and if they haven't been eating infected rodents you're probably safe) and your immune system should be strong enough. To be safe though, designate litterbox duties to your husband while you are pregnant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
And you lived to tell about it? It didn't steal your breath or your soul?

Even worse - they stole my heart!

Old 09-16-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
It is actually toxoplasmosis, not TSS. But, if you have been cleaning the litterbox all along you have already been exposed to it (if your cats even have it - not all do and if they haven't been eating infected rodents you're probably safe) and your immune system should be strong enough. To be safe though, designate litterbox duties to your husband while you are pregnant.
It can't hurt to avoid it either way. Even breathing the kitty litter in when I clean it gets me coughing. So why have a pregnant woman do that? Besides, there will come a time where she won't be able to really bend over to do it.

Quote:
Even worse - they stole my heart!
Mine too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats