Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 11:12 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times

Advertisements

If the vet has ruled out a UTI...and that would be the first action to take...a vet visit.
Second would be to re-train him. Keeping him in a smaller controlled area...iebathroom or laundry room...or even a dog kennel with a litterbox. Open up the space gradually to him, making sure he is using the litterbox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 11:40 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,108 times
I noticed something the other day at a large pet chain store used to attract cats to their litter boxes. It looks like cat litter and goes in their box. I've never used it so I don't know if it works. Maybe someone else on here knows what I'm talking about or has experience using it. Good luck and thanks for being patient with your kitty.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
I noticed something the other day at a large pet chain store used to attract cats to their litter boxes. It looks like cat litter and goes in their box. I've never used it so I don't know if it works. Maybe someone else on here knows what I'm talking about or has experience using it. Good luck and thanks for being patient with your kitty.
I'm guessing your talking about "Cat Attract". I've used in training kittens...your guess as good as mine as if it really works or not....but it sure couldn't hurt in this situation!

Old 09-22-2009, 01:44 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I'm guessing your talking about "Cat Attract". I've used in training kittens...your guess as good as mine as if it really works or not....but it sure couldn't hurt in this situation!
Thanks ShelbyGirl! That's the name. I had too much time on my hands that day in the store! I went over and was checking out the brands of litter so no one would see me all teary eyed. I was looking at the cats up for adoption and one kitty was talking and reaching for me and it just makes me so sad to see them in cages, waiting for some one to pick them. If I already didn't have 5 cats, I would have come home with 3 that day.

If any one is interested, I also saw cat litter that is supposed to detect diseases. It changes colors if there is something present. I don't know if it works. The only problem I could think of is having multiple cats using the litter box and then you don't know which one has the problem. Sorry I went off topic...just wanted to pass that along.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:38 PM

577 posts, read 2,060,689 times
Quote:
I tried that but I can't remember if it seemed to make a difference. I'll have to try it again.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:53 PM

You can be sure that there is a "reason" for his actions. It is just up to you (lucky you) to find out what it is. Could be anything from the type of litterbox (uncovered/covered) to the litter, or where the box is located..(too active/busy a location). He may be unhappy about something in the household...
Please rule out the UTI first....frankly...it will be the easiest to fix if this is indeed the problem!
Then go thru this website...lots of helpful info on litterbox problems.
THE LITTER BOX

Old 09-23-2009, 05:40 PM

577 posts, read 2,060,689 times
Quote:
You can be sure that there is a "reason" for his actions. It is just up to you (lucky you) to find out what it is. Could be anything from the type of litterbox (uncovered/covered) to the litter, or where the box is located..(too active/busy a location). He may be unhappy about something in the household...
Please rule out the UTI first....frankly...it will be the easiest to fix if this is indeed the problem!
Then go thru this website...lots of helpful info on litterbox problems.
THE LITTER BOX
I feel like I've tried to solve the mystery. The litter boxes are in the basement where it's quiet. Too dark maybe? I got a night light for down there. Had a cover on one of the boxes but removed it. It's crazy! I appreciate your advice (seriously) but I think he just thinks it's perfectly acceptable to pee on the floor. Unfortunately most of the time when he does it it's in the basement and I'm not there to witness it and enforce a better habit. I think it's my lot in life to clean up cat pee for many years to come...

I'll look through the Litter Box website you posted and hope for the best!

Old 09-23-2009, 05:57 PM

63 posts, read 188,137 times
Quote:
If the vet has ruled out a UTI...and that would be the first action to take...a vet visit.
Second would be to re-train him. Keeping him in a smaller controlled area...iebathroom or laundry room...or even a dog kennel with a litterbox. Open up the space gradually to him, making sure he is using the litterbox.
I think that is a good idea, that is what I would try. I have never 'retrained' a cat, but that is what prob. needs to be done. He has not been started off right, and will always persist in doing it the way he learned in the beginning. Just like mine that peed in every 'corner' of the house, she continued until she died.
I have three now and dearly love them all.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:09 AM

10 posts, read 39,375 times
Natures Miracle gets rid of all pet smells. You can pour it right into the carpet. It also works on furniture and mattresses. It the best thing on the market. Is your cat fixed? have the cat checked bladder or urinary tract infection.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:28 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashburnite View Post
I apologize in advance for this long post but I'm looking for a solution!
A few years ago we adopted two kittens who are brothers. They were about 8 weeks old when we got them and they had already been neutered. Ever since we've had them one of the cats has regularly peed on the tile floor in our basement. I don't know if he sometimes uses the litter box or not but the floor seems to be his favorite. The good news is that it is much easier to clean up there than carpet! Anyway, I thought maybe he didn't like the kind of cat litter we had so I changed kinds. I think we began with Feline Pine, then switched to a corn based one, then regular clay litter, and now we have two boxes with clay and one with crystals. None of these changes seemed to make a difference. So I tried offering two litter boxes - one for each of them - and placed them in the two spots where he liked to pee on the floor. That didn't work either; he just peed on another part of the floor. So I tried one box with just a small amount of litter in it in case he preferred peeing on a hard surface and very little litter. Nope. I also tried cleaning it more frequently in case the boxes were offending his delicate sensibilities. That didn't help either.
A little over a month ago I got the Scoop Free Automatic Litter Box to help keep a cleaner, less smelly box. While the auto box works great and I recommend it, it didn't help us in this situation.So different litters, different boxes, different locations, daily scooping, and offering a poop-free box (the automatic one) have not solved the problem. I also have tried using the various cat pee odor cleanup liquids, as well as vinegar, but they don't seem to deter him but for a day or two, even with repeated applications. I also tried the Feliway plug in to try to keep him calmer in case he's feeling nervous but that didn't seem to make a difference.I'm at my wit's end with this cat! He's done this ever since he was a kitten and it's like he thinks it's perfectly acceptable to do this. The good news was that he always did it in the basement where it was not too difficult to clean up, but he has now begun to do it on the kitchen floor, too. What is up with this cat??????!!!!!!!
Unfortunately, sometimes you can just get a dirty cat. Growing up, my Mom and Dad had one cat who insisted on doing his "business" in the tub! Mom wouldn't keep a dirty cat and of course we were all devastated. I would talk with your Vet. Times have changed a lot and there are different things that perhaps the Vet can suggest.

We have two cats and our older cat, who is 19, manages to miss her box a lot. We have a rubber mat under it and then newspaper under the rubber mat. She has created a lot of extra work for us but in the same sense, she is 19 and probably only has another couple of years. We are amazed she is still with us and healthy although deaf in one ear and missing a couple of teeth. Both my cats are indoor cats and both female.

Is your Male kitty fixed? If not, this could be his issue. If he is fixed, I would have him checked for any issues he may have with his bladder. It does sound like he can't hold his urine. Good Luck! This is a tough issue to fix as once they start to pee anywhere they want, it is tough to break the habit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats