Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 09:59 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
But how good is butter for them?
Ummm.... Buttah is good for everything!!!!!!!! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 02:38 PM

66 posts, read 199,753 times
Quote:
Depends on the pill. Always ask your vet. Some pills can be, for example a pill to settle the cat's stomach (I can't remember the name of it) can be liquefied. However, a thyroid medication can't be liquefied.
Depends on the thyroid medication, I think. And, the pill can not be liquefied by you, perhaps... I never tried that... BUT methimazole (for hyperthyroidism) can be made into a liquid form by a compounding pharmacy.
I was totally unsuccesful attempting to get a pill into Kitty (1/4 of a Pepcid for nausea). My neighbor, who has two cats and gives them pills as well as pumpkin in a syringe, came over and tried. Kitty knows her and trusts her, but... My friends comment, "I've never seen a cat act like that!"
2 points for Kitty, 0 for us.

P.S. Kitty is a manx... normally a sweet and docile, although quite talkative, girl. She allows grooming and nail clipping, but I've learned to not initiate any activity involving her mouth. That's her private property! (Might be related to the fact that she was in an accident before she came to live with me at age nine, and her jaw had been broken in a mishap with a vehicle.)

Old 10-09-2009, 05:46 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,236,621 times
Default or cream cheese

EEK, I wouldn't want my jaw messed with either.
After much! trial and error we have ended up splitting our Kitties thyroid pill in two, and putting/squishing them in to two small pieces of sliced velveeta or american.(kind of a home made pill pocket) After I write this it probably won't work anymore lol!

Old 07-31-2011, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 1,895 times
Default help my cat

hi my cat is male and 13yrs old he his losing alot of weight even tho he is eating lots also he as became very distant towards me and spends time round my neighbours alsop very grumpy and sleeps alot not very active plz help many thx luci

Old 07-31-2011, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,895 times
hi my cat is 13yrs old and is losing lots of weight even tho he is eating alot also he as became very distant with me which is very upsetting if i want to see him i havwe to go round my neighbours he is also very grumpy and sleeps alot plz help many thx

Old 07-31-2011, 05:29 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
Quote:
Depends on the pill. Always ask your vet. Some pills can be, for example a pill to settle the cat's stomach (I can't remember the name of it) can be liquefied. However, a thyroid medication can't be liquefied.
Some pills aren't safe to liquify, and none should be without your vet's go ahead. But many pills can be compounded into a liquid form. Thyroid medication can actually be compounded into a form that absorbs through the skin, and you just rub it on the thin skin of their ear. Great for cats who just WILL NOT take pills.

I'm lucky with my two...Robin I just sit on and pop it down, and JJ is so used to being medicated he doesn't seem to notice.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:08 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Only this post is new; the rest of the thread is from 2 years ago guys. Just a heads up. Would have started a new thread, but anyway:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delgaluk40 View Post
hi my cat is 13yrs old and is losing lots of weight even tho he is eating alot also he as became very distant with me which is very upsetting if i want to see him i havwe to go round my neighbours he is also very grumpy and sleeps alot plz help many thx
First thought is hyperthyroid, but you really should get him to a vet and have him checked out. Noticeable weight loss is never a good thing. Weight loss with continued appetite and such is something I noticed in my own cat, and it turned out to be hyperthyroid. If this is the case, it can be treated and cat can live for several years perhaps (barring other complications) but you definitely need to take him to the vet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats