Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 09:52 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times

Advertisements

Why are they mostly in a cage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 12:40 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
She has 7 kittens and she keeps them in the garage. 4 are 6-weeks and the 3 more skittish kittens are 8-weeks. If she let them out of the cage, they would tear up everything. She can't have them in the house. If she lets them run free, the neighbor's dogs will get them.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:28 PM

I got them home. The 3 kittens that are 8 weeks old were hopping around a lot in the cage, and reaching through the bars. I released them in the bathroom. There were 3 motors running. I picked them up. They were a little squirmy, but not biting or scratching.

Actually, the only problem I had was one of the 6-week old Siamese kittens. They were very playful. They tried to climb up my legs.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:32 AM

316 posts, read 849,233 times
I second Shelbygirl's advice for shy kittens. We adopted a ~4 week old kitten that showd up at our place. He was so afraid that he would cram himself into tiny spaces and we would spend hours looking for him. We found this advice on the Internet: put the kitten in a room with no hiding places, sit nearby doing some quiet activity, and ignore the kitten. Within an hour, the kitten started making approaches and retreats. Within a day, he was letting us pet him. Now he's an extremely affectionate 6 month old cat.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:08 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
She has 7 kittens and she keeps them in the garage. 4 are 6-weeks and the 3 more skittish kittens are 8-weeks. If she let them out of the cage, they would tear up everything. She can't have them in the house. If she lets them run free, the neighbor's dogs will get them.
Kittens tear things up. It's what kittens do. It's how they learn. If she can't have them in the house, which is where they belong, what on earth is she planning to do with them?

Keeping maturing kittens in a cage is going to have serious longer term effects - both physically and mentally. Playing, running, leaping, climbing, etc. are all essential to a cat's physical development. That's why Mother Nature preprogrammed them to do it. It wasn't just to drive their caretakers nuts; it does have a purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I got them home. The 3 kittens that are 8 weeks old were hopping around a lot in the cage, and reaching through the bars. I released them in the bathroom. There were 3 motors running. I picked them up. They were a little squirmy, but not biting or scratching.

Actually, the only problem I had was one of the 6-week old Siamese kittens. They were very playful. They tried to climb up my legs.
I'm now thoroughly confused. If this is the case then why are they being scruffed to be handled?! Skittish? What you describe is being called "skittish"? Good grief.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:29 AM

She's going to give the kittens away once they are old enough (if she can. Nobody seems to want them). If they were not in the cages, they would have to go directly to the pound. She can't let them go or they will disappear, grow up, and have more babies. These kittens' mommas were strays anyway.

She would take them to a shelter, if one would take them. We're trying to have a little more time to find homes for them so hopefully they won't have to go to the pound.

And before someone says "Take them to the ASPCA" that would be fine, if we had an ASPCA. We don't.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:11 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
OK, I think I understand the situation a little better now. Rural areas are extremely difficult, I know.

In a perfect world, the general public would care and rescues would have resources. We live in a far from perfect world and fair play to you for trying to make at least your corner of it a better place.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:22 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
OK, I think I understand the situation a little better now. Rural areas are extremely difficult, I know.

In a perfect world, the general public would care and rescues would have resources. We live in a far from perfect world and fair play to you for trying to make at least your corner of it a better place.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:56 PM

Dad is clearing space in the shed for them. It's not heated, but it will keep the wind off of them.

I brought them in individually. The older, gray kittens didn't care to play, but they weren't wild at all. They didn't claw or bite. They didn't care to play much. They just wanted to be held.

The 6-week old kittens actually scratched me a little bit. They haven't figured out how to play without using their claws. But none of them drew blood. They were very playful.

I think I actually like the gray kittens better. They're a bland color, but they're very fuzzy and seem like they would be good cats to cuddle with, and they don't claw you while they're playing.

There are 3 8-week old kittens. 2 are long-haired and gray. One is gray and white (like a tuxedo cat, except gray and white).

The 6-week old kittens there are 2 Siamese and 1 black and white kitten.

All female, I think.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 10-04-2009 at 02:11 PM..

Old 10-04-2009, 02:03 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
I think it is cute you are getting your Dad involved (again). I think he is an ol softy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats