Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 02:56 AM

162 posts, read 382,352 times

Advertisements

My kitten (6mos) is doing this thing which appears to be kneading, he gets up on my bed and does it all over my conforter and pillow.

He is like walking and stretching his paws out, almost looks like marching.

So what does this mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 03:06 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,807,934 times
Nesting maybe? Whatever it means, it's pretty common feline behavior.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:19 AM

672 posts, read 5,085,841 times
They probably smell like you, especially if there is some polyester in them. It absorbs smell easily. Mine kneads my robe and a blanket I usually wrap myself with when it's cold.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:38 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,147,209 times
It's just normal cat behavior. They all do it especialy as kittens. It is an instinctive thing.
Build or buy a scratching post. That still wont completely eliminate kneading on other things.
My cat is declawed because it always has been and will always be an inside cat.
It still goes through the motions of kneading even though it doesn't have frt claws.
Some folks don't agree with declawing. They think it's cruel. But it sure saves on furniture damage and any other stuff they might harm.
If your cat goes outside I wouldn't recommend having it declawed. It needs its frt claws to protect itself in case of danger.
Mine is always inside, 5 yrs old, and happy and healthy.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:04 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,807,934 times
I was in the "no declaw" camp until the day my cat climbed my freaking leg. He was at the vet 3 days later.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:32 AM

I wish I could declaw my kitten, he has torn up my carpet, destroyed my curtains, among other things. They have 3 scratching posts but seem to enjoy the couch and bed more.

I even spent $150 on a nice cat tower that they hate, I sold it a few weeks ago after 2 months of collecting dust.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:20 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,295,615 times
A kitten/cat must be directed to the scratching post(s). Just because you have them doesn't mean they will automatically use them. Also, some like horizontal, others like vertical posts. Some like the siscal, others like just a rugged or matted post. Finding what is their preference can save your furniture (and them from being declawed).
The kneading acts you describe above are ones of comfort and happiness. It is a good thing and typical kitten behavior.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:28 AM

672 posts, read 5,085,841 times
I'm a bit confused. Shouldn't the kneading part be a positive thing? My cat kneads me and purrs when we cuddle together. That's what they did as kittens when they tried to get milk out of their mother.

It hurts even if I trim her claws, but it's such a sweet act, so I always let her do it. Even if I end up having claw marks on my skin.

I find it unbelievably cute when she kneads my robe or blanket.
Frankly, I couldn't care less about my furniture. Even if she was to claw them.

Like Shelby, I also believe that you should experiment with scratching posts before traumatize them with something like declawing (which is with good reason banned in many countries).

Old 10-04-2009, 05:35 AM

I have been working with different scratching posts for months, I have used various ones such as the ones that utilize cardboard or rope, or ones that are carpet marerial. We have directed them to use it many times, I have visited many various cat forums to search for help but nothing has really seemed to work.

I might try the Paws things you slip over their claws, I don't want to declaw them since it's unhumane?

Old 10-04-2009, 06:59 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,631,717 times
It is easier if you rub catnip all over the scratching posts. Mine run right to them when I get the catnip out. I buy online from www.CosmicCatnip.com b/c it is so fresh and smells so good. But even the pet-store catnip will attract a cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats