Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 04:51 PM

214 posts, read 757,871 times

Advertisements

hey there!

i've come to the conclusion that if suki and i want to live peacefully, i have to find a cover for our couch.

i was wondering if any of you have any recommendations on brands? its hard to tell from just looking at stuff online. i want something that is thick enough that it won't tear if we take it off/put it on everyday.

doesn't have to form to the couch. i'm okay with something that resembles a tarp. maybe a tarp is the way to go? hmmmm.

so anyway. suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 04:12 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,331 times
Try Sticky paws. They should do the trick

Old 10-12-2009, 12:27 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,007 times
Why plastic? It won't be a nice place for either you or the cat.

Is it just shedding you're trying to prevent or are there other issues?

Old 10-12-2009, 12:33 PM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
Sticky paws furniture strips?? Do they bend, my oldest love the corner? If I say something to her she will run to the condo and scratch the poles, but now the kitten is doing it and he just ignores me.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:54 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alixjack View Post
hey there!

i've come to the conclusion that if suki and i want to live peacefully, i have to find a cover for our couch.

i was wondering if any of you have any recommendations on brands? its hard to tell from just looking at stuff online. i want something that is thick enough that it won't tear if we take it off/put it on everyday.

doesn't have to form to the couch. i'm okay with something that resembles a tarp. maybe a tarp is the way to go? hmmmm.

so anyway. suggestions?
Is suki the husband or the cat?

Does suki have a favorite spot to scratch on the couch? If so, maybe place a scratching post in front of it so it blocks the area.

Or are you looking to keep fur off of the couch? If that is only the case, then I would suggest go to Walmart and get a blanket (not a bed sheet) to cover the couch with.

Can you tell us more about what your husband () or cat does to the couch?

Old 10-12-2009, 03:55 PM

suki has a territorial peeing issue. she has been living with us and our dog since june, and just will NOT stop peeing on our furniture. i dont know what else to do.

we already threw away one couch, i don't want to throw away this one as well. the couch was delivered yesterday, i bought a big sheet of plastic to put on it, and this morning there was already a pee puddle. she wastes no time.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:57 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,326,588 times
Have you had your cat checked over at a vet for a UTI or other problem?

Is your cat box clean? Does the cat not like whatever litter or other product you are using in the cat box? There's several older threads that address this issue that are only a page or two back.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:15 PM

yep. i've had her checked out at the vet. they didn't find anything physically wrong with her.

litter box is clean. we scoop it immediately after each use [she uses it regularly.] change the litter every two weeks. its the same litter she used at the shelter she was living in before.

she pees on the couch or chairs every 4-5 weeks. we put a pet gate in the doorway to the bedroom so she could go in there to get away from the dog. she has never peed in that room. [knock on wood.] she actually hasn't peed anywhere else besides the couches, chairs, and litter box.

this new one is weird because both the cat and the dog seem weirded out by the plastic couch and don't have any interest in sitting on it/being around it. i thought before that she was just peeing on the soft things to keep the dog off of them.

and it doesn't seem to be a loneliness thing. i'll get up to throw something away/get something, and when i return to the chair/couch it'll have pee on it if i left it uncovered..

i've read the other threads. one of them is mine. i've tried literally everything in them. nothing works. i'm actually crying right now because my husband came home and said he doesn't think he can handle having this cat around much longer. he was very understanding in the beginning when we thought it was just a part of bringing her into new surroundings, but now that it hasn't stopped after 4 months, its wearing him thin. she also isn't very friendly, so that doesn't help her case.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:41 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alixjack View Post
yep. i've had her checked out at the vet. they didn't find anything physically wrong with her.

i've read the other threads. one of them is mine. i've tried literally everything in them. nothing works. i'm actually crying right now because my husband came home and said he doesn't think he can handle having this cat around much longer. he was very understanding in the beginning when we thought it was just a part of bringing her into new surroundings, but now that it hasn't stopped after 4 months, its wearing him thin. she also isn't very friendly, so that doesn't help her case.
Ack, you poor thing.

No, an animal urinating on furniture is no way to live. I'm sure you feel like you're between a rock and a hard place (which I guess you are really ) but in all fairness to your husband... he is human. A stand-offish animal that does nothing but "destroy" would test the patience of a saint. He deserves a pat on the back.

While I understand there's the immediate issue of the couch, there is the bigger issue. This IS a behavioural problem and it can be sorted. It will take time, effort and energy - and afraid to say a few pennies - but if there is a will, there is a way.

As far as the immediate issue is concerned - I know it will be unsightly, but what about either
a) waterproof car seat covers - i.e. the kind made for back seats. The elastic straps will keep it in place. Try Cabela's, Sportman's Guide, Outdoor World - any of the big outdoor/hunting stores.

b) waterproof mattress protectors held in place with ... oh gosh, I don't know what they're called - they're elastic thingys sold to go around corners of mattresses to hold sheets taut. (They look like the bits that used to hang off the end of girdles! I can't look at them without thinking of my grandmother. ) You can find them at JCP, Target, Linens 'n Things (when they existed), etc.

But to sort out the issue for once and for all, you really need the help of a professional feline behaviourist who will come and see the animals in situ. There is something going on - that is for certain - but the signs and the signals might be so subtle that you're missing them. IMHO, you'd be best served to do this sooner rather than later if for no other reason that the longer her inappropriate urination goes on, the more of a habit it becomes and the harder it will be to stop it.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:29 PM

i called the behaviorist and she said to start out with the simplest thing possible - adding a second litter box. so we're going to try that. fingies crossies! it would kind of make sense, though - she had 30 to choose from while she was at the shelter.

also, suki is a declawed persian, which is apparently the worst kind when it comes to litter box issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats