Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:19 PM

276 posts, read 1,135,984 times

Advertisements

Need help!!
My sweetest, adorable, the most friendliest cat on planet is hissing at my Mother in law(MIL).
My MIL has come to visit us for a month, she has been here for 2 days now. the very first day my cat was friendly with her, sniffing her and showing some interest in her. but from next day onwards she has been hissing at her quite a few times in a day.
I am really worried because i am going to have my baby in few days and will be in the hospital for atleast 2-3 days. MIL and my cat will be alone in the house. I am hoping they both survive, more worried about my cat though!

any suggestions? I just don't want to deal with stress right now and my cat is like my baby.
I am looking for polite and 'diplomatic' ways to make things better here.

As always thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 11:40 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_sk View Post
Need help!!
My sweetest, adorable, the most friendliest cat on planet is hissing at my Mother in law(MIL).
My MIL has come to visit us for a month, she has been here for 2 days now. the very first day my cat was friendly with her, sniffing her and showing some interest in her. but from next day onwards she has been hissing at her quite a few times in a day.
I am really worried because i am going to have my baby in few days and will be in the hospital for atleast 2-3 days. MIL and my cat will be alone in the house. I am hoping they both survive, more worried about my cat though!

any suggestions? I just don't want to deal with stress right now and my cat is like my baby.
I am looking for polite and 'diplomatic' ways to make things better here.

As always thank you
Okay a few questions come to mind.

1st, does your MIL own cats herself? if she does maybe the cat is picking up the odors of her cat and your cat is being territorial.

2nd, is this the first time for MIL to come and visit at any length? If not how did the cat react then?

3rd, how does your MIL carry herself? I mean does she walk and talk with authority? or maybe does she seem to stomp rather than walk (some people just seem to have heavy feet without meaning to.) or talk a bit louder than you guys do?

4th, does your MIL wear perfume that may be a bit strong?

Sometimes strange sounds or odors or even behaviors can set a cat off. It may also be sensing that something is about to happen in your house and it is a bit on the nervous side because it is picking up your nervousness. I'm sure that there is probably a lot of excitement going on in your house right now and the cat doesn't understand it, all he knows is the excitement probably got worse after your MIL came so your cat may be percieving her as the cause for this sudden escalation in excitement and nervousness.

I imagine that the cat will calm down once everything else has. I just would be careful not to let the cat be alone with the new baby for awhile at least not until it has had a chance to get used to it.

Good luck and I hope all goes well with you, the baby, the MIL and the cat. Oh and Congrats too!

Old 10-14-2009, 12:07 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,117,121 times
Sounds like a well trained cat to me...

Old 10-14-2009, 12:10 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
Try having your MIL feed the cat or give it treats and play with it with some cat toys. Congrats on your new baby!

Old 10-14-2009, 12:11 AM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times
You might try letting MIL feed your cat before you go in the hospital. Hopefully, that will warm the kitty to your MIL.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:02 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
I agree with Maggie2121 & Naturen...let your MIL feed & give treats/catnip to kitty...bribery works, lol! Sometimes cats simply dislike certain people for their own reasons, but as another poster said it could be strange odors or loudness creating the friction...if all else fails, maybe the cat could stay in a room behind a closed door until you're home and can run interference if things get ugly...good luck and CONGRATULATIONS on your new baby!

Old 10-14-2009, 01:12 AM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times
Oppsy me. Congratulations on the baby! and I hope he/she is healthy and that your labor goes smoothly.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:07 AM

672 posts, read 5,094,266 times
I also want to ask if the MIL has any cats herself? Cats usually hiss at me, if I've been snuggling or carrying my own cat.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:15 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Good kitty.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:59 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Is she using some kind of cream or "anything" on her hands/body? Cats are sensitive to "scents"....Your cat may just not be accustomed to her scent. It may take a few days, but I'm guessing your kitty will settle down and accept your MIL. The ideas of MIL feeding and paying extra attention to her will help.
So exciting on the birth of your child! I was just thinking of you the other day and wondered if the special day had arrived yet.
Be prepared...kitty may also do the same with the new little one.. New smells....but it will all pass. Keep us posted! ((hugs))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats