Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 11:17 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times

Advertisements

give them toys, food water and a litter box and keep the door shut to their room
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 11:22 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
Personally I think kittens are bad choices for most people in your suitation...young, first starting out, you've got longevity behind you true..(cats can live over 30 years) but so much is happening, so much is changing,there are landlords( real idoits over cat welfare imo), new loves,ect, ect.

My advice is to find someone to take them.
Pantherpride...please stop putting info out there that cats live to 30 or over. It is NOT common. It is rare for them to live that long. It is hurtful to those of us with cats who don't even make it to 20! And the OP wants help with kittens who are destructive...not about their life span and diets.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:42 AM

622 posts, read 1,724,211 times
I don't know about that .... half the cats I know lived old, one 28. another at a pet store shop cat, is 27 old but in good health , another (friends cat) 32. Most/all were probably on low grade diets. The ones that died in my childhood at my parents died from problems asasseated with diet such as kidney failure/cancer but even they lived over 13. One was 16!

If cats are living into their teens on a regular basis... pet food... given what it truly is given the research. I think its entirely possible it CAN happen,

Right now the worlds oldest living cat is 37 and is in Dulth MN.... while in doubtful the cat is really that old it IS proven by a photo shot in the 70's the cat is at least 35

someone verifed, false reports of a 43 year old cat but it hasn't been proven... probably false. It did assumably eat a good diet of prey model birds,ect ( which aside from parasites is the best diet their is for an obigate carnivore assuming the cat is healthy) so anything "MIGHT" be possible with allot of luck..

It could be these are just really bezare cases of longevity, There was a woman who died recently she was 115, sept in bed and ate bacon. go figure

Old 10-17-2009, 11:54 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote
Sounds like the kittens are bored. Try giving them toys (change the toys up)
Wad up a huge ball of newspaper and let them bat/shred it. Get a few empty boxes, put them in the room, and let the kittens play with that. Now's the time to get creative to entertain them.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-17-2009 at 01:15 PM..

Old 10-17-2009, 01:03 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,089,959 times
How old are these kittens?? Time takes care of some of this. Kittens usually play in spurts and sleep a lot. The spurts are probably great fun for these two but they really don't require a whole house at this point.

Kitten-proof an area(one room is fine--even a bathroom))--remove stuff--put down toys that are changed out frequently--a climbing tower with nooks and crannies--dangling strings for swatting--and leave them be. Then play with them with a box, paperbag, and laser light when you get home. They will wear themselves out and eventually when you least expect it they will be content to act like normal cats.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:14 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,003 times
A few years ago my auntie had the same problem, she thought her two kittens (brother and sister) would drive her crazy. After they were a year old they calmed down considerably and she is so happy with them and wouldn't miss them for the world. I would try confining them to one room and give them lots of things to play with and also spend time playing with them whenever possible.

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-17-2009, 01:15 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,122 times
Are they fed during the day? My cats get antsy when they're hungry. Keep a feeder stocked with dry food and water.

Remember, they're just children. they will grow out of this. By this time next year they will be sleeping most of the day.

Have you considered keeping them seperate during the day? Put each one in a seperate room? Like kids, they play off each other. I also like the idea of keeping a TV on, also some lights, etc. Would it be possible to come home during the day for lunch? Sounds like perfectly normal kitties to me!

Old 10-17-2009, 01:25 PM

144 posts, read 597,350 times
Default a new day

so after locking the kittens in their room last night and shutting myself up in my room for a good cry, I finally got up and started cleaning the mess and tried to think about this situation clearly.

Thank you all for responding some of you came to the same conclusions that I came to. First I am not just starting out, and I have more experience with animals that I care to admit to ( especially since I let these kittens bring me to tears), I have just never had kittens before. There is no way I could have prevented the damage that they did to the house since I cant remove or hide the walls and carpet. I trim their nails weekly so that is a none issue and most of the shredding of things is from them chewing and ripping things with their mouths.

I can't give an animal away, that is just me! If I do say so myself I am a pretty good pet owner, my animals lack for nothing they need and nothing they want ( or that I want them to want) but now that I have experienced kittenhood I know that I need to make more accommodations for them than I previously thought.

They will be closed in their room when I am not at home. They have an assortment of scratching posts, mats, and climbers, toys, balls, fuzzy mice, etc but I will buy more toys so that I can switch them out. I hand built a 2 story kitty house for my last cat and I have been meaning to build another one even bigger and better for these guys, I am hoping to have it done by Thanksgiving time.

This morning I spent the morning in the room with them to see how it would be and I am happy with the arrangement. The room itself is pretty kitten proof and apparently it is large enough for them to run, jump, leap, chase each other, and generally blow off some energy in. So I won't feel bad about putting them in there.

Wow, I guess I just needed to blow off some steam last night, get a good nights sleep, and some good advise from some of you more experienced cat owners.
What a difference a day makes,
Thanks,
Tomeka, Louie, and Oscar
Attached Thumbnails
very serious, Please help, kittens destroying my home-kittens-023.jpg  

Old 10-17-2009, 01:42 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
I'm glad to hear things looked a little better in the light of day. I know...the furkids can be overwhelming sometimes! Sounds like a good cry and venting helped! ((hugs))

Hopefully, confining them to their own room when you can not be home will do the trick. And yes, age will slow them down...eventually

Old 10-17-2009, 01:50 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,211 times
Age will help with this.

NO stocking up on dry isn't a good idea unless you are making a major life transistion/ or go away for vast stretches of time. and you know its reputable brand like Innova EVO. Dry food can cause many of the following issues.

(Next to allowing outside, not spaying or neutering, and de clawing its one of the worst things you can do long term).

Dehydration

Cancer

Obesity

Major Dental disease

UTI's

lifelong fixscation (its all they'll ever eat)

kidney trouble

Canned/raw diets are MUCH better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats