U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 05:24 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,109,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcharm View Post
Unless you want to sell your house in a down market.
Even if ban your cats (animals) to the garage,remove their feeding bowls and litter box from view, if an allergic person comes into the house they will know if there are animals living there without ever seeing them.

Plus I would think buyers will look in the garage-I know I have always looked in the garage. Would they smell anything?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 09:58 PM

214 posts, read 723,926 times
I don't think that the Realtor's request is necessarily concerning people that are allergic. There are people out there that REALLY hate/fear animals and would not appreciate being surrounded and loved on by a bunch of kitties. Also, one of those kitties getting out is a real risk that I'm sure the Realtor doesn't want to deal with.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:10 AM

4,687 posts, read 7,535,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
when a house is for sale here, the seller fills out a seller's disclosure.... disclosing information about a wide array of potential issues..... one of which is pets...... so, any prospective buyer should already know that cats are in the house......
I have sold plenty of homes in my lifetime, never would I put my cats in my garage....and the broker is responsible to not let them out, ALWAYS.

Your broker must be a person who dislikes animals...most buyers have pets.
So having cats around shouldn't be a problem. >^..^<

Old 10-28-2009, 09:19 AM

3,080 posts, read 10,731,580 times
Your kitties will be fine if they are longhairs or any "normal" form of shorthair. Our american shorthair barn cats spend their entire lives outdoors from 110 degree summers to -20 degree winters. Cats are hardy creatures who evolved to survive in harsh conditions. Your kitties probably don't even notice the temperature difference. Would you if you wore a fur coat all the time?

The garage is paradise to our cats, since it's usually above freezing. Their favorite thing to do is sit on a hot car engine hood and warm their paws. Usually after traipsing through the mud and then walking up and down the windshield. So if you put out a heating pad they'd love it, but I wouldn't due to the fire/electrical hazard should they get chewy or scratchy.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:17 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,469,273 times
Concerning the disclosure, you can either fill out a disclosure which asks specific questions about the house or you can choose a disclaimer (which most realtors I've talked to recommend). I believe the disclaimer just states that you have no prior knowledge if anything goes wrong with the house after you leave.

About the cats, how many do you have? The only reason I could see it being a problem is if you have a whole bunch...I am selling my house now and I have 1 cat, but he hides when strangers come in the door. Our realtor never suggested the cat would be a problem...the big howling-at-visitors 70 lb dog is another story

Old 10-30-2009, 05:51 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,109,958 times
If your going to keep them out in the garage make sure it is kid proof!

Old 10-30-2009, 06:05 PM

8,410 posts, read 38,250,877 times
Great tip on the kid proofing. I agree. I would also clean up and check for any spills, loose caps, dangerous objects like nails or glass etc. (some garages are very rustic like that )

The cheapest easiest thing to make is just a couple of cardboard boxes stuffed with hay and cedar chips (keeps away fleas). Cut a cat sized hole in it and cover with heavy blankets. Watch for sneezing and runny eyes though.

I do think that is an excessive request. I have a cat and can smell any pet house anyway. I don't really see what the point of stuffing them in there is. You are going to look at the garage of the house you are going to buy right?

Is she trying to lie and say its a pet free home and your cats live in the garage?

Because that would make me not trust her as a business person and I would take my business elsewhere based on that.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:56 PM

391 posts, read 1,652,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
Concerning the disclosure, you can either fill out a disclosure which asks specific questions about the house or you can choose a disclaimer (which most realtors I've talked to recommend). I believe the disclaimer just states that you have no prior knowledge if anything goes wrong with the house after you leave.

About the cats, how many do you have? The only reason I could see it being a problem is if you have a whole bunch...I am selling my house now and I have 1 cat, but he hides when strangers come in the door. Our realtor never suggested the cat would be a problem...the big howling-at-visitors 70 lb dog is another story
i have 2

Old 10-30-2009, 06:58 PM

391 posts, read 1,652,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Great tip on the kid proofing. I agree. I would also clean up and check for any spills, loose caps, dangerous objects like nails or glass etc. (some garages are very rustic like that )

The cheapest easiest thing to make is just a couple of cardboard boxes stuffed with hay and cedar chips (keeps away fleas). Cut a cat sized hole in it and cover with heavy blankets. Watch for sneezing and runny eyes though.

I do think that is an excessive request. I have a cat and can smell any pet house anyway. I don't really see what the point of stuffing them in there is. You are going to look at the garage of the house you are going to buy right?

Is she trying to lie and say its a pet free home and your cats live in the garage?

Because that would make me not trust her as a business person and I would take my business elsewhere based on that.
no not trying to lie. most the buyers do open the garage but there is note that says careful opening do not let the pets in the house. a lot of people have a huge disdain for cats I think that is why.

anyhow. got a contract today!!!

Old 12-05-2013, 12:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,130 times
Get a new real estate agent. I had my place on the market, I have 2 cats, my agent loved the cats and kept petting them. He stated it is perfectly fine to have them in the house. He assured me he would be very careful to make sure they do not run outside during a showing. He also stated that if the people looking at the place are cat lovers it could even help sell the place. When I bought my place the sellers had a cat, I liked the idea that they liked cats. I wound up buying the place. If you can't get a new agent, and he/she insists the cats need to be out, then at least buy them heating pads made for cats(you can find them on Amazon.com for as little as $10.00 to $15.00), put them in card board boxes and add some small blankets. the cats should be just fine and happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats