U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 12,621 times

Advertisements

My 12 year old cat has to live in the garage, will she be alright during the below zero temps? She has a Rubbermaid bed lined with throw rugs and a space heater in the front. Will she be warm enough or should I bring her inside
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 06:56 PM

36,756 posts, read 13,551,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlmoore View Post
My 12 year old cat has to live in the garage, will she be alright during the below zero temps? She has a Rubbermaid bed lined with throw rugs and a space heater in the front. Will she be warm enough or should I bring her inside

How long have you had this 12-year-old cat, and why are you saying that she has to live in the garage?

A garage is too cold for below-zero temperatures, and a space heater is DANGEROUS!

Bring your senior cat inside.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:52 PM

30,253 posts, read 74,301,245 times
No.

We have feral cats. They live outside. When it gets cold, they find a place to curl up together. They have been fine for he past 4 or so years. It gets -20 here sometimes.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:02 AM

19,994 posts, read 5,915,723 times
Bring that cat I side or take her to a no kill shelter. Are you living in the garage in sub zero temps?

Old 01-02-2018, 07:38 AM

36,756 posts, read 13,551,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alixjack View Post
As long as they have blankets/bedding to cuddle on, 40 degrees doesn't SEEM like it would be too cold. I'm no expert though. Perhaps you could put a little space heater on a low setting in there that they could crowd around if they get nippy?

Forget the space heater.

I can't believe people tossing around dangerous space heaters as a solution for animals left in an enclosed area.

Setting aside the idea that these kittens can't be indoors while the OP is selling her home, she should put some boxes in the garage, and fill with blankets and some straw.

If only all pets were lucky enough to find homes in which they weren't considered to be nuisances.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:12 AM

19,811 posts, read 16,881,409 times
Please rem to place something like Styrofoam under the box and rags for the freezing concrete.
Also I hope you mean you cut out a hole like an igloo for their warmth to stay inside....not an open box to jump into...
40 is fine...under 32F I have pet heating pads..$50...they can later be donated to the many shelters
If no longer used.

Didn't read whole thread if this has already been suggested, sorry.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:42 PM

30,253 posts, read 74,301,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Forget the space heater.

I can't believe people tossing around dangerous space heaters as a solution for animals left in an enclosed area.

Setting aside the idea that these kittens can't be indoors while the OP is selling her home, she should put some boxes in the garage, and fill with blankets and some straw.

If only all pets were lucky enough to find homes in which they weren't considered to be nuisances.
Many kinds of space heaters are perfectly safe. This is 2017. In 1981 they were unsafe for this type of use, not today. However, I would not waste the money. One thing you can do is build a giant house that leaks heat like mad and allow them to sleep up against it. (All houses leak heat like mad.). We bought some of those heated blanket pads for the feral cats one winter. The loved them for about a week, then they went back to sleeping up against the side of the house (usually under the porch, they like to be hidden).

Old 01-02-2018, 01:50 PM

6,552 posts, read 6,714,192 times
Barn cats have been doing fine living outside in cold climates in unheated conditions for centuries. They just need some material (like hay) to burrow into to get warm.

I feed my barn cats in an unheated outbuilding and shut them in at night so they don't get eaten by coyotes or owls. For beds they have an old couch with cat beds on it and a canopy of sleeping bags, and I also have several cardboard boxes on top of a layer of foam. The boxes contain rugs and cat beds and old foam pillows. On extremely cold nights (we've been having -30 here) I bring the ones that will come in into my basement. Some go nuts and want right back out again. Others stay for the night but desperately want out first thing in the am. I've noted that in this very frigid weather some choose to stay out in the hay barn (which is open to the elements), where they can burrow into the hay and feast on lots of yummy hot mousies.

Garage and outside cats will be fine even in this frigid weather if you make sure that none of their bedding can get wet, and that they have access to food and fresh water.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:54 PM

9,120 posts, read 8,117,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Many kinds of space heaters are perfectly safe. This is 2017. In 1981 they were unsafe for this type of use, not today. However, I would not waste the money. One thing you can do is build a giant house that leaks heat like mad and allow them to sleep up against it. (All houses leak heat like mad.). We bought some of those heated blanket pads for the feral cats one winter. The loved them for about a week, then they went back to sleeping up against the side of the house (usually under the porch, they like to be hidden).
That depends on what type of heater you're talking about. If you mean the electric type, then I agree that they're safe for the most part. Electrics are all equipped with a safety switch that trips and shuts off the unit if it's not in the upright position. The kerosene fueled heaters are a much different story. They put out noxious fumes and are meant to be used in open (& well ventilated) areas, like a building under construction for example. I know from personal experience what can happen if a kerosene heater is used in a small closed building. At the very least a terrible headache and nausea. You definitely don't want to subject a cat in a garage to one of those.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 12,533 times
Had indoor/outdoor stray cat for 13 years when living in country at 2,000 ft altitude. Could get cold at night. He had to sleep in garage at night due to spouse having severe allergy to cats. Also had to be in at night due to mountain lions, etc. Our local shelter was NOT a no-kill at that time. By the way, it was spouse's idea to keep cat instead of risking him being put down in an over-crowded shelter. Spouse fixed up the garage with carpeted shelves and we filled it with toys and his food & water bowls. I would spend part of evening in garage playing with and cuddling cat. He had a lot of love from my allergic spouse as well as from me. He had a better life than some people. We bought him a regular bed AND a heated bed. It was electric but ONLY activated by cat's weight and stopped heating up when it reached a certain, safe temperature for cats. Our furry kid loved his heated bed on cold nights and chilly mornings! I would unplug it during the day and during warm weather. Cat would often choose the unplugged heated bed over his regular bed. I suspect because it had higher sides. The heated bed was especially designed for cats and much safer than a portable heater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats