Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 02:03 PM

10 posts, read 93,875 times

Advertisements

Does any one have a Russian Blue and if so how is your cats temperament? My cat is very dear and sweet but I just feel as if she cannot be loved enough!! And she has great fear issues. My vet is helping me as best as possible.

I also have a very sweet Burmese and they have bonded extremely well! Over the past 14 years I have had 2 Snowshoe cats but the Russian Blue is taking a bit adjusting to.

Any advice?

Last edited by Skylineview; 10-27-2009 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: spell correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 10:48 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,097,381 times
I don't have a Russian Blue, but in my experience they are very sweet cats. No two cats are exactly alike, of course. They certainly are beautiful.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:12 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,479,664 times
Probably less to do with the breed than with the individual cat's disposition.

One of mine is terrified of the vacuum cleaner while the others just shrug, one isn't much of a cuddler compared to the others, two don't like to be picked up for too long while the others can't get enough, two enjoy other people's company while the other two disappear, etc. etc.

They're ALL different with different little quirks, just like humans!

Old 10-28-2009, 07:52 AM

13,259 posts, read 22,692,629 times
My senior cat is a Russian Blue mix. We call him the evil genius or alternately a fuzzy agent of chaos- smart, curious about what happens when you push the coconut off the top of the fridge, tends to be very emotional and expressive whether it's about loving or hating something.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:56 PM

622 posts, read 1,716,658 times
Also what you do to a cat will shape and control how nice and what happens.

Any cat thats not fixed, allowed outside/de clawed or given mean treatment will not work out or have risk for trouble.

Purebreds are costly and they can have issues.... be careful. Not all breeders are good.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:30 AM

7 posts, read 51,916 times
I have owned three Russian Blues, two females, one male and I wouldn't own anything else.They are the best cats ever. They do need a lot of affection so you are right she can't be loved enough, and will follow you around like a shadow.Russians can become fearful if they are neglected and not given daily attention and loving, they are happiest sleeping with you but will also really appreciate their own "Furry" bed, it must be furry!They really are happiest with a exact feeding schedule, meaning you feed them the same time every day, and a variety of wet plus dry food is ideal for these cats. They absolutely love fresh water and will bug you to turn on a faucet so they can drink out of it.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:36 AM

7 posts, read 51,916 times
The other thing I would highly recommend is to keep the Russian entirely as an indoor cat. They are sort of fearful of the outdoors. All they need is a window to look out of and you may find that they are waiting for you to come home from work every day. They also need to be mentally stimulated, meaning it helps them out a lot if you play with them daily, throw a ball, they will retrieve it, they love feathers on a stick, they need excercise....they can jump from the floor to a high peice of furniture in nothing flat. They are adept at opening doors and even will shut themselves in a room by closing the door. They can anwser the phone if it sits on a desk, and they do these kinds of behaviors repeatedly as a habit....I had to use velcro on a fax machine to keep my male from answering it when it rang.

They don't like a hugely noisy environment and will tend to hide if there is a lot of comotion going on, don't worry, they aren't being fearful, but cautious...they are after all very intelligent.

If you would state what exactly are the fear issues your cat is exhibiting I could probably answer you better. It is not my experience that these cats are fearful, if you are mistaking their shyness for fear, or their caution for fear then that is all it is a simple misunderstanding. They do not like being handled by people they are not bonded with, like the vet, some are laid back about it, many are not....

Old 01-14-2010, 11:43 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,270,518 times
I had a Russian Blue. He loved the outdoors. They do like a lot of attention and they like to be talked to. You can hold conversations with them.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:43 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,910,103 times
Skyline, maybe just keep being affectionate with your kitty, but in a matter of fact way, without catering too much? Not sure.

My very first cat as an adult was a Russian Blue/Persian mix. (My username comes partly from him.)

Out of the litter, Blue was the only one who turned out looking like a Russian, except he was much larger than the average Russian--think feline Gentle Giant.

This was back in 1980 and I was a 20-something. Blue was always an indoor/outdoor cat (he had a door) and he did roam, but stayed in at night.
He always slept with us.

Blue raised two puppies, two human boys, and one kitten with me. The kitten adored him (and she herself lived to be 20.)

Blue was placid, friendly and outgoing. Not much phased him.
He died of kidney failure at 17.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:10 AM

10 posts, read 93,875 times
I completely forgot about this thread! My apologies...
Oh yes my baby girl gets plenty of loving, holding and lots of playing! If she doesn't she definitely lets me know!!
She is by far one of the most unique cats I have ever had. She loves to talk and when I am on the phone she helps with the conversation :-)

Thanks everyone for the ideas and info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats