Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 11:57 AM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times

Advertisements

My 15 week old kitten got out the other evening and I saw her on the deck (with the dog) and got her right back inside. She is an indoor-only kitty but she's been scheming to get out when the dog goes outside (fenced yard).

Since then she meows all the time...whining to go OUT! She can sit in the window and look out and I even open the sashes a few inches so she can get a breeze through the screens.

Anyway, I don't know how long it will take her to stop the incessant whining/meowing since she tasted that momentary freedom outside.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 12:28 PM

622 posts, read 1,723,516 times
maybe you can reseach the dangers of outdoor life and ways of compromising,

Little Big Cat. www.TheCatSite.com are good articles.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:23 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
My first thought was "How you gonna' keep 'em down on the farm after they've seen Paree."

This same thing happened to one of my friends and her cat. The cat was never outside. From the day of birth the kitty was indoors.........until she made a mad dash out the front door while mom was bringing in the groceries. They were able to catch her in the hedges but after that she wailed for about a week, wanting to go out. She finally got over it. But, it did take 6 or 7 days.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:06 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
I've heard this multiple times. Even with people who decide to take their indoor kitties out for walks on leashes. Once they get a taste of the outdoors, they are very curious. Hopefully, yours will forget quickly! Try re-directing with a toy everytime she starts her yowling. It will probably take a few days, but I'm sure her memories will be short! Good luck!

Old 10-31-2009, 03:43 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I have adopted 2 cats who were strays and neither kept it up more than 4 or 5 days. Of course, both wer "door watchers" always looking to get out - I had to be careful about coming in/going out for years.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:44 PM

622 posts, read 1,723,516 times
Good luck.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:59 PM

698 posts, read 2,840,615 times
Our newest addition, Miss Sally, wants to get into the garage every time we are near the door. She has made it in there a few times due to sheer speed and stealth and wants nothing more than to explore. We keep the garage door closed at all times and when we can't coax her out quickly we just close the door to the house and wait for her to have her fill and whimper to get back in which is usually in about 15 minutes.

Cats can't be good judges of what's safe for them. Like most 3-year-olds I know. lol

You will just have to make that clear to her that she ain't goin' out.

You're doing great to offer breezes and whiffs of the great outdoors. It isn't the same as exploring but a close second.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:52 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
I watch her and pick her up when my dog wants out on the back deck (which is like 20 times a day...sigh...but that's a whole other story). She wants to be where the dog is because she's bonded to her dog and when the dog goes outside the cat is up on her hind legs at the french doors looking for the dog.

I distracted her tonight by playing with her at her scratching post and getting her tired. She'll just have to deal with the unfairness of life--she is not going to be a cat who's allowed outside. No way.

/mean mommy

Old 10-31-2009, 07:21 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I watch her and pick her up when my dog wants out on the back deck (which is like 20 times a day...sigh...but that's a whole other story). She wants to be where the dog is because she's bonded to her dog and when the dog goes outside the cat is up on her hind legs at the french doors looking for the dog.

I distracted her tonight by playing with her at her scratching post and getting her tired. She'll just have to deal with the unfairness of life--she is not going to be a cat who's allowed outside. No way.

/mean mommy
"mean mommy" who loves her cat alot and wants to keep her safe!

Old 11-01-2009, 04:44 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
My cat was rescued from my landlady at four weeks, when they dumped her in the garage and left for a week. She is scared of everything unfamiliar. She had no desire to go outside at the apartment with the scary people and cars and noise. She would sit for hours checking things out through the window, but out was a big no no.

When I moved here she did get out twice in the yard as the back door was opened. Once she slipped back in past me. She must have liked the grass and interesting smells, but when she ran out and got scared and ended up under the house at night she took two hours before she got up the courage to go all the way out of the crawlspace so I could grab her. She has shown no desire to go out since. She loves smelling boots and dogs who have been outside, but while she sits and looks out the screen doors (which are a wonderful addition) she hasn't tried to go out. She does wait for Pammy to come back in when she goes out and despite hissing fits appears to be bonded with the dog.

Whats really interesting is the mama cat of the kittens I have more or less adopted was very young, probably her first heat, and was used to being in a house. She is still being fed, and with the weather she got let in to be with the kittens. She has to be put outside to get her to go outside. She is a wonderfully affectionate kitty since she's decided to trust me and purrs when I pick her up now. Only problem is she and my cat who has been there longer don't do well, especiallly with kitten running around. I want to keep a couple of the kittens even if I can find homes for the rest and would love if mom got one since she is a really sweet cat when you get to know her too.

Yeah, that sucker sign is painted on my porch too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats