Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 11:34 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times

Advertisements

Our cats got spayed on Monday. I opened the door today and one of them ran out, and she's impossible to catch. Should I be worried about her being outside? I did everything I could to keep her in.

EDIT: I got her back in, but I'm wondering how long I'm supposed to keep her in. It looks like she has a stitch. I worry about her ripping it out while climbing trees. Fortunately, I've never seen her get out in the highway (like our dogs like to), but I worry about her. We have 2 inside cats. Should I keep the 2 recently spayed kittens inside for now?

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 11-19-2009 at 11:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 07:45 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times
I would say at least 2 weeks. It might not hurt to call your vet and ask them.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:22 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,233,802 times
Default safer for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Our cats got spayed on Monday. I opened the door today and one of them ran out, and she's impossible to catch. Should I be worried about her being outside? I did everything I could to keep her in.

EDIT: I got her back in, but I'm wondering how long I'm supposed to keep her in. It looks like she has a stitch. I worry about her ripping it out while climbing trees. Fortunately, I've never seen her get out in the highway (like our dogs like to), but I worry about her. We have 2 inside cats. Should I keep the 2 recently spayed kittens inside for now?
UM 1) I would think twice about letting your Dogs roam free and
2) This would be a good time to start keeping the Kittens indoors like your other 2..

Good luck with everything. Hope all goes well.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:36 PM

I don't let them run free. I took my eyes off of her for 5 minutes.

Usually I tie the dogs up to a tree while I'm outside with them.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:05 PM

Both the kittens before appeared to have one black stitch in their belly.

Those black things appear to be gone (fell out maybe?) and the sites where the stitches were are a little red. They've been getting their amoxicillin, so I don't think it's infected. Does the stitch come out on its own, or does it dissolve?

Old 11-22-2009, 12:08 AM

426 posts, read 1,570,159 times
It depends on the stitches. Some of them dissolve, but you'd need to check with your vet to find out which kind they use. I would keep them indoors until the incision is healed and/or the stitches come out (whichever is later.) Especially kittens, who will want to climb and play on everything and aren't thinking much about self-preservation.

My recently adopted kitten managed to tear out all of her stitches. I think the vet also glues the incision with some kind of medical glue, because it stayed closed and healed fine. Red is ok, means it's healing, but if it looks swollen or has any pus (eww) that means it's infected and time to see the vet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats