Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 09:42 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times

Advertisements

I had 12 cats at one time, and each one had a different personality. I had lap cats, snuggle cats, and independent cats. I had one cat who would just lay in my arms like a baby and let me cut his nails, but yet, I wouldn't have even risked it with most of the others.

The cat I have now used to be an outdoor cat. He has all his claws, they're very long, and I don't trim them. He's pretty laid back, and I probably could, but he rarely scratches on the couch. He did it twice, and I just told him, "no" That was the end of that. After I start working again, I'm going to buy him cat tree so he can climb on it for entertainment. He knows what the word no means, because he doesn't want to be an outdoor cat again. But his favorite word is "din din."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 07:45 PM

698 posts, read 2,842,131 times
I sit on them. Don't put my whole weight on their bodies but basically straddle them like I'm riding a horse, then clip very quickly before they can get too mad.
It helps if I take them into the bathroom which lets them know it's clipping time. There's really no trauma.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:57 AM

283 posts, read 892,835 times
I usually hold mine between my chest and arm. If she is too fiesty, I have my husband scruff her. She will protest but mine doesn't bite. Do you have someone to help you?

Old 12-04-2009, 07:30 PM

18,102 posts, read 15,676,604 times
No, I have no one to help me. I live alone. The 2 friends I do have are 'afraid' and aren't able to hold her down or do the clipping while I hold her down. And each has cats (one has 2 and the other has 12).

Old 12-22-2009, 07:06 PM

Mine just sits in my lap and lets me cut them. He protests, but doesn't try to get away.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:20 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,768,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Mine just sits in my lap and lets me cut them. He protests, but doesn't try to get away.

I wish! Carly used to let me trim her, but Uh uh, no more The only reason I can imagine is her Calico/Tortie temperament. I mean, I've never hurt her or misgauged how far down to trim. It's just one of those behaviour changes typical to that mutant genetic thingy.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:48 PM

I've managed to trim a few of my cat's nails over the last 10 days. She recognizes every single implement I have for trimming: nail clippers, cat claw scissors, dog claw clippers, toenail clippers and her fur goes up. Well at least I know she's smart.

I've given her treats and also kind of snuck up on her when she was sleeping, though she wakes up immediately the second I touch a paw.

She hates her claws being trimmed with the heat of a thousand suns. I've never hurt her and never trimmed them too close--she just is a bratty kitty who does not find nail trimming acceptable.

I keep joking that she'll need to be shot with a tranquilizer gun like they do to lions and tigers to check their health.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:24 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,768,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I've managed to trim a few of my cat's nails over the last 10 days. She recognizes every single implement I have for trimming: nail clippers, cat claw scissors, dog claw clippers, toenail clippers and her fur goes up. Well at least I know she's smart.

I've given her treats and also kind of snuck up on her when she was sleeping, though she wakes up immediately the second I touch a paw.

She hates her claws being trimmed with the heat of a thousand suns. I've never hurt her and never trimmed them too close--she just is a bratty kitty who does not find nail trimming acceptable.

I keep joking that she'll need to be shot with a tranquilizer gun like they do to lions and tigers to check their health.
Take her to PETCO! Where I used to live there was one nearby, and on Wednesdays & Thursdays it's just $5. That's what I did, and you know what? Carly was Just Fine with the process when they trim her. . .go figure.

Disclaimer: I was paid $0.00 for that little PETCO commercial. . .lol

Last edited by Macrina; 12-22-2009 at 08:33 PM..

Old 12-22-2009, 08:58 PM

I can bribe mine with food and he'll do anything. I'm tempted to have a tag made for him that says "I have food on the brain!" He thinks anything and everything is edible until he finds out otherwise.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Take her to PETCO! Where I used to live there was one nearby, and on Wednesdays & Thursdays it's just $5.
Unfortunately the nearest Petco to me is 15mi away. There's a Petsmart that is closer--I'll have to call them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats