Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2009, 12:30 PM

75 posts, read 233,614 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I have three outdoor cats that got ticks on them. Very soon, I'm moving to my new apartment, but I'm very worried that there could be more surprise that new ticks show up in my place.

My friend told me that special shampoo will kill them all and that is, no ticks would come back ever. I wish it was true, but what can I do to get rid of them once and for all? I found a chemical that would be useful on carpets, it would kills them immediately.

I don't want landlord/landlady sue me for bringing the outdoor cats in the building, it would cost them thousand of dollars to getting rid of what I did to that place.

Should I place all my cats in animal hospital for one week, so they can take care of them until all of ticks are all gone? They're very precious to me and I will do anything in my powers to make sure that there's no ticks!

Is it wise for me to put all my cats in animal hospital for one week? From Monday to Friday? You know, my eldest cat, Bryan, he was once stray cat, I'm sure they told me that he got dozen of ticks on him before. Well, he never got ticks ever since.

I want to end this ticks battle once and for all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 12:59 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,054,865 times
I would have them bathed and dipped at the groomers, and put maybe frontline on them. You definitely should treat your home. They cannot only live in the corners of your home, but also behind pictures, furniture, etc. When I had a problem, I had someone come in and exterminate twice, which didn't get rid of the problem, so I bombed my house twice. After all that my problem was over (knock on wood). When you treat your home you should bring all your cats to the groomers to get bathed and treated while you need to be out of the house. Once you clear up your problem maybe you should make your cats stay inside for awhile. Good luck! I know it can be very stressful. It just takes time and multiple treatments to get rid of them.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:35 PM

75 posts, read 233,614 times
Actually, Flkingfan, they'll be indoor cats for good.

Their adventure of going outside is over. I don't want outdoor cats to suffered anymore problems that they has to endure the pain. And I'm full aware that it will takes time and multiple treatments to get rid of them permanently.

I lost four cats last year, because of bad blood. A heartless vet decided to put them to sleep without our knowledge! That's why I'm trying to preventing from happening again.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:14 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,054,865 times
Mine are all indoor too. My dogs were the ones to bring in the uninvited guests. I would think that as long as you are treating both your home and the cats that you really don't need to leave them at your vet. As soon as you eliminate the indoor problem and your cats don't go outside anymore, you shouldn't have any more problems.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:59 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,860,778 times
I always thought the best thing to do was remove the ticks when you find them. Frontline Plus is excellent. My daughter removed a tick from two stray cats this summer. She rubbed the area with alcohol after removal. She killed the ticks too.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:25 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,211 times
Are you sure the Landlord to be isn't Moderator cut: language removed ( excuse my language) and will actually allow you to keep the cats without maiming them- vie de clawing-. A de clawed cat should never be outside BTW. They can get behavior issues from de clawing such as litter box avodance/biting, paws may have to be cut off, along with/or parts of their legs.. balance and walking along with althletic ability is also impaired.

Depending upon this AND how tame they are you may just be better off neutering/spaying them( if this hasn't already happened) through TNR and releasing them as most shelters are full and they may actually be a bit better off wild.

Atleast if fixed they will not be able to make more homeless animals. the fighting and roaming behavior will be reduced as well as the risk of exposure to diseases.

Also if you are going to keep them/release them first test them for FIV and Feline LUK. (Release in a wooded area away from people, NOT in a wildlife center though!!!) If you cant keep them clawed and they have those diseases even if they are afraid of people and wild humane euthanisa may be the better opinion so they cant spread it to other cats.

Ideally they will be healthy, you can keep them clawed indoors and out of the wild however.

If you can keep them clawed and they have those diseases just keep indoor love them the best you can while they are around.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:23 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
OFF TOPIC!

Nowhere in this thread is the OP discussing declawing, or spaying and neutering. Nor is there anything said about any diseases. Frontline works very well for ticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats