U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 11:16 AM

9,618 posts, read 12,124,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
I would also suggest when you hear a conflict rising, to run with a water bottle, and squirt water at the two cats in conflict. This usually does the trick, and then afterwords, separate the two for a few hours to get them to think about matters. Don't wait until after the skirmish, for by then the damage is done and it is too late.
Actually, I did think about that spray bottle idea just the other day. It would perhaps teach Thai that his somewhat playful/hostile male-alpha behavior isn't acceptable. He does seem quite playful sometimes when he starts "tracking" Cookie; trotting along a few feet behind her as she passes through a room he's sitting in.

But then she'll turn and yowl like Satan's own felid, and he seems to be quite taken aback. As in "What's the big deal?"

He's either quite dumb, or v. smart. I don't see "dumb" in this particular cat though...

Anyhow, yeah; spray bottle. I'm also experimenting with those cat treats as a means to reward him and/or Cookie, as well as to simply shake the plastic bottle they come in, which instantly brings him away from whatever he's up to, and in to my room, away from the designated war area!

Wow! Ten cats. We decided a few years ago that the 5 we'd "inherited" was beyond our peacefulness, litter box and food budget limits. Now it's 4, with dottie probably on her way out at 19 yrs old with some indications of kidney problems. ghost's about 12. That leaves Thai at about 4 and Cookie at 6. what a remnant pair they'll make when the other two leave us!

BTW, cats may be nuts, but gaw-leee Andy, they sure are fun, huh?

Thanks for the info! I'll get on it.

Last edited by rifleman; 02-28-2010 at 11:53 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 11:21 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,091,585 times
No, Rifleman, FIFTEEN cats. You forgot to count the females! LOL

Old 03-02-2010, 05:02 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,009,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
No, Rifleman, FIFTEEN cats. You forgot to count the females! LOL
Our experience shows that cat society breaks down when it reaches 6 or 7 members. Fighting and marking became an issue - even when everyone was fised. We resolved the issue by separating into 2 clans. They only mixed when we were there to supervise. This worked for years. Finally, through attrition, we dropped to 7 cats and the 2 clan merged again with no problems.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:28 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,091,585 times
My "family" is the exception to the rule. Even when we were at lower numbers here at Garden of Eden, the wild boys' instincts instructed them to spray. The rule as quoted above probably works for domesticated cats, but not wild. I also do not have much fighting, for I have maintained an attitude of "we LOVE each other in this house". When a tangle does arise, as in any other household with more then one cat, the water bottle does come in handy and Rescue Remedy. We have something unusual here, clans within clans, yet everyone acknowledging that they are family.

Over time, things fell into place and all of our cats have a place in this household as to what their "function" is. And they know what that is. For example, one of our cats is called Mr. Security, and believe me, when he walks when he is on duty, he walks as though the ground beneath him shakes. Have you ever seen a wild male walking his territory, as though the very ground itself shakes? That is exactly what I see and "feel" when this cat is doing his job.

All in all, I agree with Rifleman, for even though there are tough times and hard times, just as in any family, our cats give us so much love and fun! The laughs we attain watching some of their antics is priceless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats