Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:32 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i hope you realize im going to spend the evening now trying to figure out what that poor little thing is...the feet remind me of a raccoon, but its definatly not a raccoon...the face has that possumish shape but the legs are all wrong

heck in that pool step picture the face looks a little zombi-ish...
zombie possum?

ok...after much looking and deliberation...
i woudl put my money on a baby racoon with a nasty case of mange
the feet/legs are a perfect racoon match, and the ears are about right too if you were to take the thick fuzz of the typically known racoon face i think youd find it a perfect match.

though zombie would also work

Another forum someone posted photos of skeletons of baby bear and I have to say that the legs and feet look more like a bear skeleton than a possum. I don't have the link just now. But here is a better photo of this creature's legs and feet to keep you awake:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 10:03 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
they do look bear like and that was one of the first things i looked up (body shape has that similar humped over, lack of tail...

the "fingers" and "toes" are too long to be a bear (and he looks too small in scale to be any known species of bear in the us)
id also say the face is too long over all and the ears too big for a bear species their skulls have a much wider base and a blunted muzzle.

(thats a racoon with mange, the face shape and ear size are almost identical)
it took me a while because while ive delt with a few racoons with mange, they usually loose from around the butt first, so imagining a nekid raccoon took a few mins to wrap my head around lol.

poor little zombie critter looks like hes been through hell

Old 11-18-2010, 01:41 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
whatever it is, I would have a fit if my kid picked it up! How did he know it wouldn't bite him or he would get something from it? Man that is a scary looking critter.....

Old 11-18-2010, 03:32 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
I have a cat with gray fur that would go inside and outside. She is used to going outside at night until the raccoons come out. On at least one occasion we saw her nose to nose with a possum. We think it was a juvenile possum that thought our cat was its mother. My cat is not friendly with anything, but she allowed the baby possum to smell her.

I have also found an adult female possum in my garage. I found her sitting in one of the cabinets with several babies. I would not normally do this, but it was very warm weather, so I left her some water and cat food and filled up both twice. She allowed me to get close enough to leave the food, but I knew not to try to touch her. I also had to make sure that our cats didn't get close to them.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:12 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
All in all, opossums are really pretty inoffensive animals and not really a threat to a healthy adult cat. They are just about at the bottom of the mammal predator scale, and are preyed on by coyotes, bobcats, and domestic dogs. All that hissing and vicious displays are bluff, in a real scrap they are poor fighters. Any decent sized cat should be able to easily defeat one if there is any rough stuff. The funny thing is, cats and possums often get along quite well, either ignoring each other or even hanging out together. Because possums feed heavily on insects and eat just about anything, they are actually benificial to have around if a pet owner takes the usual simple precautions. Because we love our cats and wish to protect them, we often forget just how tough, aggressive, and what good fighters cats can be. There is a recent very popular amusing Youtube video of a cat facing off against a pair of domestic alligators and sending them scurrying back into the water. Some time ago, there was another one in which a cat went after a young black bear that wandered into its yard, and sent the bear up a tree. Most of our kitties are a lot tougher than we give them credit for.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sAF8gMN9c0

Old 11-19-2010, 03:14 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
Opossums come regularly to feed on the cat food I put out for the ferals. They ignore each other. I've never seen any kind of interaction. The only way I know that the ferals know they are there is that the opossums get all the food if they are around, the cats do not try to dominate for the food. They just back off and watch. If racoons come they both the cats and opossums leave or watch from a further distance. I did see a opossum trying to front off a skunk for the food once which was unusual. Usually everything out there will back off and let the skunk eat. I think it might have been a young skunk, or a young opossum or both.
Opossums dont' bother me at all. Like Blackshoe said, they are mostly bluff with the hissing. They also play dead and drool green slob

Old 11-19-2010, 03:37 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Thumbs down Beg to differ...

'possums are full of bacteria and they can be mean. If your cat gets bitten...you better be prepared to get it to the vet asap. Had a cat that got bit on the rump by one of those filthy creatures. She went down w/in 20 minutes. I wouldn't encourage them around your pets.
K

Old 11-19-2010, 03:47 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
and yet your cat has about triple the bacteria in its mouth than a possum does...
cat saliva contains some of the worst bacteria in the world...

wild possum are in no way clean animals and personally having done wildlife rehab since i was about 8, i wouldnt encourage them around pets either...
but...

on a whole, most possum are relitivly harmless to a cat as they TYPICALLY wont start a fight, they will typically avoid conflict if possible, and they dont typically carry rabies.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:30 PM

238 posts, read 1,504,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
I say Yes, it can be a threat. Beyond eating the food belonging to your cats and their general messiness is the threat of rabies, because they can carry the virus.

No one has mentioned this, which is why I have so done.
You could also be a carrier of rabies. The only reason I mentioned it is because nobody else has. Don't really know you but I am sure there have been times when you were generally mean..

Old 11-20-2010, 06:33 PM

238 posts, read 1,504,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
When I lived in Southern California I let my cats go outdoors. (Not anymore. I've come to my senses.) Anyway, I had more than one cat who would hang with the possums. We would turn on the patio light at night and there would be our cats and three or four possums just eating and enjoying each other's company. The first time I saw it I ran for my camera. Then it got to be old hat. "Oh! Murphy's out with his possum sweetie."

I talked to the vet about it and he said that he'd heard of a lot of cat/possum friendships. He said the real trouble was with dogs and possums. This went on for years and there were never any problems because of it.

So we just relaxed about it until the night Murphy invited one of them to come inside the house with him via the kitty door. Ever try to sweep a possum out of your kitchen?
My cat also hung out with the possums and skunks. This is before we started seeing coyotes and now he comes in the house at dark. I am kind of fond of all of God's critters myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats