Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 09:32 AM

622 posts, read 1,714,420 times

Advertisements

chocolate... sense its the holidays and we may be having sweets given to us from our uncles/aunts whoever/whatever. I'm wondering how much chocolate is considered a danger to cats.

Is eating crumbs bad if cat only gets very little. (Granted it was fudge) I was eating a brownie given to me as a christmas gift on my bed... Bindi nibbled a few tiny crumbs.. when I saw what he was up too I sprayed him with a water mister which got him out of the room and after locking him up in the basement vacuumed up the bed and all traces of crumbs I could find... I also threw out the brownie for fear I'd spill more crumbs. The sheet which I had eaten on I'm going to have my staff wash up with my laundry.

What sighs of trouble should I watch for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 11:12 AM

605 posts, read 2,978,406 times
I don't think a few crumbs will be that bad. My SO is terrible about offering the cats licks of ice cream that has chocolate in it, and they've never gotten sick. But if she does get sick, it will probably be diarrhea, maybe vomiting.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:49 PM

320 posts, read 1,066,346 times
You threw out the brownie? Seriously?? You couldn't just finish it by eating over the sink or off a plate? What a waste of a tasty snack!!

Old 12-12-2009, 03:31 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,833,498 times
In an entire pan of brownies, there is usually only perhaps 1/4 cup of chocolate. A brownie is mostly flour, sugar, milk, and eggs. That's in an entire pan. In a single square, there is perhaps a teaspoon of cocoa. In a single brownie crumb, the amount of cocoa is so miniscule that it could probably not even be measured let alone be a danger to a cat.

In an adult cat, perhaps a spoonful of pure chocolate. That would be of pure cocoa or a baking chocolate square. Even chocolate candy bars have additives which would minimize the chocolate's effect. Your reaction was way OTT. Good grief.

Don't waste the the water or your staff's time doing laundry. If you feel like consuming water, put it in a bowl and give it to the cat to drink to flush it's digestive system.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:40 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,574,293 times
Be kind people! He was concerned about his pet's health, which is always a good thing. You can tell him he over-reacted w/o being mean about it.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:51 PM

Thank you for sticking up to me.

I'll just eat them outside of our place AND try to clean up better,lol.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:59 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,256,002 times
To protect you and your cats...I'm thinking you should send the remaining stash of brownies to my house! No need to thank me...I do it for the animals.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:03 PM

nope... I'll eat um,lol

Old 12-12-2009, 06:04 PM

15,853 posts, read 34,997,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
chocolate... sense its the holidays and we may be having sweets given to us from our uncles/aunts whoever/whatever. I'm wondering how much chocolate is considered a danger to cats.

Is eating crumbs bad if cat only gets very little. (Granted it was fudge) I was eating a brownie given to me as a christmas gift on my bed... Bindi nibbled a few tiny crumbs.. when I saw what he was up too I sprayed him with a water mister which got him out of the room and after locking him up in the basement vacuumed up the bed and all traces of crumbs I could find... I also threw out the brownie for fear I'd spill more crumbs. The sheet which I had eaten on I'm going to have my staff wash up with my laundry.

What sighs of trouble should I watch for.
Milk chocolate is not that bad because it has a very low content of the chemical ingredient that causes the problem. Dark and semi-sweet chocolate are more dangerous.

I give my Jimi the nub off of the top of the Hershey's Kiss that I eat. He loves chocolate more than anything else in the world. All he has to do is hear me unwrap the kiss and he is *there*, beside me meowing for all he is worth. I do not think that giving him a small amount hurts too much. But I am told that the effects are cumulative, as their little bodies cannot get rid of the offending substance, so perhaps over time it may result in some problems, but I hope not.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-14-2009, 10:19 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,300,546 times
Chocolate isn't good for our pets as we know. A small amount in a like a lick or a bite they happen to get every so often won't hurt, as long as it's every so often. Most cats I've ever known or ever had seem to avoid chocolate. However, there's always that one that will EAT chocolate.

I have one of of those. He goes after brownies. For my birthday I got a case of Lehi Roller Mills brownie mix. Everytime I put one wrapped in my lunch sack...all I have to do is turn my back and POOF the sweet treat is gone. I later find a few bites out of it somewhere in the middle of the floor. Plus, this cat will go to any lengths to get those brownies. Best thing I've found to do is leave the brownies in the microwave or oven shut up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats