Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 12:37 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,600 times

Advertisements

Toilet paper, especially while you're on the toilet trying to get a few sheets off the roller and you're having to fight for control of your precious TP with the cat.

Straws - My cat loves to chew on the straw, it's funny becuase it looks like she is drinking soda from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 12:40 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,600 times
I like to tie a piece of string to the ceiling fan, attach a glow stick to the string, and put the fan on a low setting, then turn off all lights. My cats go nuts, make sure not to make the string to short or else kitty will get caught on the string by it's nail and go for a little spin..lol

Old 12-21-2009, 01:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Walnuts. Just one word. Walnuts.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:53 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Hazelnuts!

Old 12-22-2009, 09:04 AM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
I have to say there are a few cat toys that have proven to be a very worthwhile investment:

1. a scratching post made of sisal carpet.
2. one of those popup little cat tents ($4 at the dollar store)
3. a fishing pole type toy with feathers/ball at the end of it ($2 at dollar store)
4. laser pointer ($3 at dollar store)

I have pill bottle tops and milk bottle rings and twist ties and toilet paper rolls and other free doodads milling about the house, but the cat doesn't do any sustained play with any of them. She'll bat them for a minute or so but ignores them otherwise.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:10 AM

479 posts, read 1,555,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I have to say there are a few cat toys that have proven to be a very worthwhile investment:

1. a scratching post made of sisal carpet.
2. one of those popup little cat tents ($4 at the dollar store)
3. a fishing pole type toy with feathers/ball at the end of it ($2 at dollar store)
4. laser pointer ($3 at dollar store)

I have pill bottle tops and milk bottle rings and twist ties and toilet paper rolls and other free doodads milling about the house, but the cat doesn't do any sustained play with any of them. She'll bat them for a minute or so but ignores them otherwise.
That is very close to our stuff. There is one other toy that our youngest likes. When we adopted him, he was laying in a cage all cuddled up with his brother. We had second thoughts about separating them, but someone had adopted his brother earlier. We took him home, the society gave us a box with a little orange mouse in it. I mean, he loved that mouse until he lost it. To this day, if we find another, he will carry it all over the house, until he loses it again.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:55 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
check under your sofa and bed(s) ..... i have found toy mice and other kitty "toys" by the DOZENS under mine when i check periodically.........

Old 12-23-2009, 06:26 AM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
My cat pretty much ignores the catnip mice but guess who likes them? (hint: look what's sitting between the dog's paws)

(this picture is from about 3 months ago. Kitty is much bigger now!)

Old 12-23-2009, 06:33 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ok, we've got 3 and we sometimes buy them some cat pot or chase toys but what is the fetish with rubber bands? I mean seriously, my one cat finds them all over the place. She doesn't eat them but always finds one to play with. I'm starting to think she is stealing them from the neighbor's newspapers. She has already emptied out the stash we kept on the counter and we've tossed them all but somehow she still keep coming up with rubber bands

They say blood hounds have good noses
I would say that cat toys are more of a total crapshoot than a total waste. About 1 in 50 cat toys will somehow become a big hit.

The larger the price-tag, the more likely it is a bust.

What is almost guaranteed to work is an un-wound coat hanger with a rubber band/piece of lint/scrap of fabric on one end.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:25 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Our cats love the tiny string-wrapped mice. They do disappear, though, and they're not under the furnitue. I suspect more than a few of them have been accidentally flipped into the ductwork, and have since been incinerated.

We've got to be careful because Checkers will eat anything. I left a bunch of cloth ribbons around for the cats to play with; one day, I heard choking and gagging. I found Checkers eating a ribbon, and pulled a good three feet of it out of his mouth. So ribbons, string, etc. are verboten.

Other things they really love are wiffle golf balls, and crumpled up teabag wrappers. Go figure. Toilet paper rolls are good as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats