Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 04:22 PM

622 posts, read 1,723,516 times

Advertisements

Aside from rabies shots... required by law....... and the need to be altered- neutered/ spayed) IF you keep you cat indoors away from diseases/dangers.... feeding quality food I think is even more important then vet care.

Most of the issues that face older cats are CAUSED by diets. Many vets push food that lead to issues or they overdo shots. I can assure you (avoiding outta control surprises such as poisoning/disease/ect) a fixed indoor cat will live longer on Instincts or Innova EVO/Felines pride food and only going to a vet every 3 years just to get a 3 year rabies shot. then a cat that sees the vet twice a year but eat purina or friskies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 09:12 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
I'm not against breasts, I have two of my own.
Thank you for that. I needed a good laugh.

However, I agree with you on the "unrelatedness" of it all. I don't get it - I understand it no more than I understand corporate sponsorship of athletes. Do they really think I'm going to buy something because Billy Biceps was wearing it? I guess people do; they must do or it would have ceased a long time ago.

But why a pet food company is donating to breast cancer really doesn't compute. True, they can donate to whomever they so please, but had I been a Purina purchaser, I wouldn't have given them the "nay" vote by taking my wallet elsewhere. What? There aren't a myriad of seriously underfunded animal charities out there?

Sorry, but these days I can't possibly think of breast cancer and underfunded in the same sentence.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:07 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Sorry, but these days I can't possibly think of breast cancer and underfunded in the same sentence.
I think you hit on my biggest gripe. All charities and research need funding, no doubt. But breast cancer is getting the lion's share.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:55 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
I just bought a big bag of Purina Cat Chow. It had the pink breast cancer awareness ribbon on and it said a portion of the sales goes to the Susan G. Komen non-profit.

Is it just me, or should Purina be donating to animal welfare? I'm certainly for curing breast cancer, but I getting a little tired of everything going to this foundation. A pink lid, a pink sticker, a pink t-shirt, here a pink, there a pink everywhere a pink pink.

I support Alzheimers and Autism, too. But I really don't think it's appropriate for Purina to sponsor them either. I'm not cold-hearted, really.
Purina's Pro Plan brand created the Rally to Rescue organization to support local rescue groups - the grassroots groups they have worked with have helped hundreds of thousands of pets get adopted.

Purina Pro Plan Rally to Rescue®

The Purina One Brand created the One Hope Network to fulfill the same goals.

One Hope Network: Our Mission (http://www.onehope.org/Our_Mission/Default.aspx - broken link)

Just Last month Purina sponsored PetSmart's Adoption weekend event where over 15k pets were adopted. They are also big sponsors of Tony Larussa's ARF charity and a major supporter of Animal Welfare organizations in & around their hometown of St. Louis and the entire midwest. Every year Purina Employees do "Purina Pride Day" where all employees go and volunteer at shelters and do many other projects to assist animal welfare organizations in St. Louis.

These are just the few causes I can think of off the top of my head. Bottom line, Nestle Purina spend millions annually to support animal welfare causes. It is an issue close to the heart of many of the employees there.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
Purina is one of those best to avoid brands... they do ANYTHING to sell you their stuff, and for a carnivore like a cat long term consumption of such foods can be hazardious to their health. dry food is esspically bad

Purina also supports animal experimentation- found that out what I read a book Food pets die for by Ann N martin. Researched an article about a science lab using FIV+ cats for HIV studies they were fed purina! before being cut open. Weither or not purina gave them food or the lab guys brought it because it was on sale is a mystery but still.....

I would switch to a better brand of canned not dry such as Instincts or Innova EVO.
How does the fact that some animal researchers fed test animals Purina food equate to Purina supporting animal testing? If the researchers went to McDonalds for lunch does that mean McDonalds supports animal testing too?

Old 12-16-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Carpy pet food companies such as Purnia align themselves with a "cause" all for a write off and appearances sake.
Quote:
All I can say is....tax write off!
You folks are way to cynical.

Does it make good business sense for Purina to support animal welfare organizations? Of course. But it has to or the company would not be justified in donating money to them. It's the shareholders money and the altruism has to be tied to the advancing the shareholders business.

But the fact of the matter is the pet food business attracts a high number of pet lovers into it. I go to industry trade shows and deal with retailers, suppliers and manufacturers. The people who work in the industry are passionate about pets. Much more so then people on some other businesses I've worked in. People in this business love to help animals. It is a much easier sell to do cause related marketing in the Pet industry then in other businesses I have seen. One, because it gets so much more traction with consumers (Other pet lovers) and two, because people in the industry love to do it.

Last edited by OC Investor2; 12-16-2009 at 10:41 PM..

Old 12-16-2009, 11:07 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
You folks are way to cynical. .
Felidae (cats; suborder Fissipedia, superfamily Feloidea) A family that comprises the extant and extinct cats, the most specialized of all carnivorous mammals. The brain is large, with largeolfactory centres and cerebral hemispheres which overlap the cerebellum. The jaws are powerful and cannot be rotated (as for chewing). The incisors are in a straight line across the jaws, the canines are long, and the cheek teeth are reduced in number, the carnassials being well developed for shearing. The skeleton ... Felidae - What is a(n) Felidae | Encyclopedia.com: Dictionary of Zoology (http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O8-Felidae.html - broken link)

Don't believe this? JUST OPEN A CAT'S MOUTH AND LOOK IN and check that next XRAY.

From Purina's Website:
"Dry products consist of crunchy kibbles, which help reduce the build-up of plaque and tartar on a cat’s teeth. Dry foods also have the advantage of staying fresh longer than soft-moist and canned products once the package is opened.Comparing Cat Foods | Purina.com (http://www.purina.com/cats/food/ComparingCatFoods.aspx - broken link)

What, no disclaimer regarding the necessary vet visits for dentals, and/or treating the gum disease?

And this is what will stay "fresher" longer:

[/b]
Purina Cat Chow
Ingredients Listing
Poultry by-product meal, ground yellow corn, wheat flour, corn gluten meal, soybean meal, brewers rice, beef tallow preserved withmixed-tocopherols (source of vitamin E), fish meal, brewers driedyeast, animal
digest, phosphoric aci....

Thanks to 2007, we are all too familiar with the corn GLUTEN & the other stuff , but may want to do some research for meanings of "Poultry by-product" (hint: "The 4 Ds") and "animal Digest."

It's not just Purina. The "others" are right there beside them with their gimmicks, while everybody profits from all the misery caused by the ingredients in this stuff.

May as well sell farmers on feeding their cows and horses MEAT while they're at it because it makes as much sense. Who knows, they may be as trusting and naive as the companion carnivore owners are!

Old 12-16-2009, 11:30 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Purina's Pro Plan brand created the Rally to Rescue organization to support local rescue groups

These are just the few causes I can think of off the top of my head. Bottom line, Nestle Purina spend millions annually to support animal welfare causes. It is an issue close to the heart of many of the employees there.
If they'd only spend some of those millions on species-appropriate nutritional products, perhaps people who can't afford the medical bills of their pets any longer, thus surrender them, wouldn't have had those bills in the first place.
Do these conglomerates have any idea of how many people can't afford their pets because they can't fix what's ailing the poor creatures? Skin-ear infections, Diabetes, UTIs ...

(Disease = diet one may wonder? The ingredients listed above should suffice, pretty self explanatory.)

Old 12-17-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
If they'd only spend some of those millions on species-appropriate nutritional products, perhaps people who can't afford the medical bills of their pets any longer, thus surrender them, wouldn't have had those bills in the first place.
Do these conglomerates have any idea of how many people can't afford their pets because they can't fix what's ailing the poor creatures? Skin-ear infections, Diabetes, UTIs ...

(Disease = diet one may wonder? The ingredients listed above should suffice, pretty self explanatory.)
Do you have any idea how many people would not have pets if they could'nt get good affordable pet food?

Judging by your last two posts you have an obvious bias against mainstream pet food & Pet food companies. So I'll just end this discussion here.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:38 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,490,423 times
I don't "see" Travl'r as being biased... just informed and trying to educate others one at a time.

I personally was fooled into believing I was feeding my furkids decent food for mannnnnnnnnny years. A medical emergency clued me in!

The pet food commercials and packaging spiels are VERY deceiving!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats