Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2009, 06:17 AM

544 posts, read 1,485,375 times

Advertisements

I got another rescue, but I'm really in love with this one and would like to keep it. We have ear mites, fleas, goopy eyes and litter box issues, however. We're seeing a vet tomorrow but I'd like advice about litter box training. Jimmy is a chubby little short haired, thick fur, little gray boy with white paws and belly. I'm thinking he's 5-6 weeks old. Sweet baby!!

First night I had him, I woke up at 4:30 a.m. and there was a huge puddle of kitty pee-pee in my bed, at the foot of the bed! I've never had this problem with a cat before. I had to get up, completely change the sheets and everything, so right now he's living in my bathroom with frequent "love" visits from me, and washing the eyes with decafinated green tea. The eyes are clearing up, the vet will take care of the other issues, but how best to litter box train? He's *sleeping* in the litter box, and *pooping" on the floor, though I think he pee-peed in the litter box last night.

Your input appreciated...photos coming later today..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 07:35 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
I wonder if it could be the litter? You say he is a rescue, do you know if he used the litter box where he was previously? I know some cats won't use a box with certain litter. Maybe put the poop in the litter box.. to see if he gets the idea

Old 12-20-2009, 07:58 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
Could be he is use to a covered or uncovered box. Could be he is use to one particular kind of litter. Or it could be classic litterbox avoidance because of a UTI. He needs to be checked medically.
Putting him in the box every 1/2 to 1 hr. will help him learn where the box is and what it is for. Keep his poo in the box for now..to give him the idea what it is for. I have no idea why, but sleeping in the litterbox is not unusual. We have kittens who do that all the time.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:07 AM

544 posts, read 1,485,375 times
Good idea; I do have another kind of litter and I have another (clean) litter box, so I'll go now and put that other litter box in there with the different litter, and I'll put the poop in there if there is any...thanks!

Old 12-20-2009, 11:09 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,026,236 times
I always just put them in it and scratch it with their paws, that works for me, but I agree putting poop in there and put him in there and take his paws and scratch around.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:15 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
He's young enough that, if he lost his mom, no cat taught him what to do. I had a rescue that stayed in my bathroom for about a week and he got used to doing business in there. After he got used to the house and other cats, he came out and started using the box. But he still pees on any towel or bathmat or dirty clothes I unwisely leave on the floor in there!

Old 12-20-2009, 12:16 PM

605 posts, read 2,989,626 times
He's pretty young. The only time I've had problems with kittens is their first night. Both my girls went once outside their box on their first night (both were 8-9 weeks old when I got them), and both have been perfect since.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:12 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Default Too youg to find it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post
I I'm thinking he's 5-6 weeks old. Sweet baby!!

First night I had him, I woke up at 4:30 a.m. and there was a huge puddle of kitty pee-pee in my bed, at the foot of the bed! .
He's too young to jump off the bed and FIND the litter pan. You would be better off leaving him on the floor by the bed and the litter pan were he can see and smell it. Use something low like a baking dish until he's 8 weeks old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats