Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 11:37 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,834,931 times

Advertisements

Our two hardheaded cats like to get on the counters and table. Is there any way to keep them off? We've tried the water gun, but by the time we reach the water gun, they've already jumped down.

If they don't quit getting on the counters, they'll be outside cats again pretty soon. Unfortunately, we can't leave them outside right now because they recently got spayed.

Can this bad behavior be broken? How?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 11:54 AM

672 posts, read 5,094,597 times
I'd spray them with the water gun anyways. I think they'd get the point if it happens right after they jump off the counters

Old 11-22-2009, 12:04 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times
Cats like high places. Give them an approved option, like a cat tower, if you haven't already.

They may simply be exploring as well. Since they know you don't like, they'll do it. They're like little kids, testing the limits, or so it seems. Please don't put them out...it's dangerous out there.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:20 PM

631 posts, read 1,290,966 times
Outdoor cats don't live as long so don't put them out there, I agree with catman.

And especially since you have multiple cats they will need something to climb and be high up on, because in the cat world that's dominance. Here's an example of some things you could get:

http://catscornervideo.com/store/ima..._furniture.jpg

Old 11-22-2009, 12:42 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,335,027 times
Mine doesn't get on the counters, maybe because he's not a kitten anymore. He's an older cat, and his idea of climbing is getting in a window to look outside. But he does bounce off the walls in the mornings, and still plays. But he likes to play with things that dangle, he could care less about catnip mice, though. But when I FINALLY get a job, I'm going to buy him a floor to ceiling cat tree to climb on.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:52 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,765,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrineA View Post
I'd spray them with the water gun anyways. I think they'd get the point if it happens right after they jump off the counters
Exactly Then I might run after them a bit with the spray gun and give them a squirt. Also, a verbal reprimand "NO" in a stern voice may take home the message.

When my cats were kittens, of course they wanted to explore every nook and cranny. Whenever I caught them on the counter, stove, dining room table, etc., I would reprimand them in a stern voice "NO". They learned very quickly and to this day they don't jump where they are not supposed to.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:59 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,834,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Cats like high places. Give them an approved option, like a cat tower, if you haven't already.

They may simply be exploring as well. Since they know you don't like, they'll do it. They're like little kids, testing the limits, or so it seems. Please don't put them out...it's dangerous out there.
Not my choice if they go out or not.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:30 PM

502 posts, read 1,392,772 times
I gave up long ago....
I let her have one end of the kitchen countertop, and so far, she's pretty well trained that it's hers and the rest is mine. Only once in a while she starts heading for the stove and then stops when I give a firm "Eh!" Then I point to the floor and say "Get down from there" which she has understood since a kitten. But I've never been able to completely keep her off. And since she's my "only child", I just let her have her end part now. I don't prepare food there, and she likes to sit and watch me cook.... it's nice actually. I think many cats only sneak back up on the countertops when you're not around anyway.... mine always did. Good luck!

Old 11-22-2009, 01:31 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,337,594 times
In a funny sort of coincidence, I happened to notice this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...e-oranges.html which may hold a possible answer for you.

We have also used lemon extract to keep cats away from places they shouldn't be. Back in the day when we had a hi-fi system with big speakers, one of the cats who owned us at the time used to think that the speaker fronts were great places for claw-sharpening. We dabbed lemon extract all over the fabric covers, and he avoided them like the plague.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:36 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
Also make the counter unpleasant to land on. I've heard of both sheet contact paper with the sticky side up and slightly crumpled tin foil serving to discourage kitties on counters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats