Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 01:52 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankylynn View Post
Is there an all natural remedy for cat spraying?we have multiple cats in the house (5) and they are driving me crazy..I clean and clean to no aveil..they just keep pn peeing..its getting worse...
Feliway is not an herbal or plant based "natural" remedy but I think it will be acceptable to you, especially if it works for you.

Sorry I can't get the link to post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 05:21 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,945,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankylynn View Post
Is there an all natural remedy for cat spraying?we have multiple cats in the house (5) and they are driving me crazy..I clean and clean to no aveil..they just keep pn peeing..its getting worse...
Having been dealing with a spraying cat for several months now, it's absolutely critical that you remove the smell or they'll just keep marking in the same place. I've found two products that seem to work well. One is "Stink Free". You just soak the affected area with it and let it dry. It neutralizes the odor completely and uses oxygenation (like Oxyclean) to sanitize the area. It really does eliminate the odor. The other one I found is a spray from Nature's Miracle" called "No More Spraying". It contains Cinnamon Oil as one of the ingredients and cats don't like the smell so they avoid the area where it's been sprayed.

The other action action I've taken is to have an anti-anxiety medication prescribed. My spraying cat was definitely a nervous kitty and the medication has definitely calmed him down. He's on Paroxetine (aka Paxil). He gets 2.5mg daily and it's really made a difference. He went from spraying everyday to only having sprayed once in 2 weeks. I think he didn't get a full dose that day somehow (you have to cut little 10mg pills into 1/4's and I think he got a tiny portion that day).

Anyway, these are some things that have worked for me.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 3,407 times
I adopted my two cornish rex from a shelter about two years ago. Little did I know the reason behind getting rid of them was they peed on EVERYTHING. Their favorite place was my BED! I tried so many things to help them. Calming spray and pet block, which made it worse, l-lysine which did nothing. More attentiom (which is hard with a cornish rex!) They had been tested by their previous owner and vet for everything possible, but there was nothing wrong. I got more litter boxes cleaned their boxes the second they used it and nothing. Two weeks ago I started them each on 2.5mg of generic prozac. They wont eat it on anything though. Cheeze, yogurt, soft food. So I end up mixing it in a buccal syringe and milk. They hate it, but its quick and easy. My life has been so much easier. Not one single "accident" since they have started it. I dont like medicating them and hope to one day take them off, but I strongly suggest Prozac if you have tried everything else!

Old 04-27-2012, 09:43 AM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
So not Prozac but Amitriptyline is what I have my cat Simon on right now. For his "behavior issues" LOL. Not spraying - but lots of people use it for that purpose. Simon is hypervocal and very very active. I'm sure many have read about his shenanigans in other posts of mine.

What I can tell you is my vet and I chose not to go with the Prozac as it has some higher side effect risk verses the Amitriptline. And it's harder to ween them off the Prozac. And what you want to do is let them take it for awhile till you see established improvement - get them off - see how they do - then put them back on if needed. That's much harder with the Prozac.

Also let me save you this trouble - They are NOT NOT NOT going to take the pill form of the drug! It's NASTY!!!! Find a compounding pharmacy that your vet uses and either have it made into a liquid if your cat is okay with liquids (but those, even flavored can be hard to give of this drug). My Simon will not take liquid meds - I'm so lucky with him!!! So this medicine is available through some online large pharmacies as a transdermal gel! What a Godsend!! I just put it on his ear at night and we are done

The pharmacy I go to is Wedgewood but a few others do it. Simon has been using the medicine for about 2 months and I do see some improvement - they tell you wait 6 weeks before you can tell. i will also add to note that the 30 supply of the medicine has come up a few days short both months so I need to address that with the pharmacy - so that's an issue

good luck!!!

Old 04-27-2012, 09:21 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
Canute takes 1/2 prozac pill a day. He's not fond of the pillpockets (might just be the current bag is stale.. not sure), but I pop it down his throat and he's fine with it. It's part of the morning routine - everyone gets combed, William gets his lysine & fishoil, Canute gets his prozac & Henry gets his clomacalm - they all get treats. I have never had good luck with any liquid! give me a pill to give them any day. It's only been 3 weeks and the vet said to expect a month before it really is effective, but I think it has taken the edge off his aggression with Hannah. She hasn't realized it yet, unfortunately, so she still runs and hides if he comes near. We're working on that.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:32 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times
We did a round of Prozac with my cat Heather. She was a nervous cat who had some serious issues with misdirected aggression. Basically if she saw another cat outside through the window or something upset her, she would attack the other cat in the house viciously. She was also having issues with peeing outside the box, again probably because she was anxious.

The Prozac eliminated the inappropriate urination and helped with the aggression and anxiety. I think we only kept her on it for six months before we started weaning her back down. We were able to take her off it completely without any urination issues.

Do keep in mind that each cat is different and reacts differently to each drug. I've seen owners start a course of Prozac and when it failed refused to try anything. If your cat doesn't have good results with Prozac, there are other options. Sometimes it can take time to hit on the right solution for your individual cat. I would personally actually start with Amitriptyline. Heather was put on Prozac because at the time treatment with such things was still new and Prozac was basically the first one to be widely used. Amitriptyline shows better results than Prozac when it comes to inappropriate urination.

Also, remember these drugs take time to kick in, so don't expect an overnight response.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,787 times
My cat was diagnosed with FLUTD. We did everything and then he started to pee all over the house. Every corner and every 5 minutes. We tried everything.. Rescue Remedy, Comfort Zone and the diffusers with Feliway.. Nothing seemed to be working. The Dr. suggested Prozac.. He prescribed 5 mg to start. We gave the first dosage and the peeing stopped immediately.. He was also Yowling all night and that only started when he got FLUTD.. That stopped too.. He must have been so stressed out. He is an only cat and we dont know what started it .. The only thing I could think of is that his 2 visits to the ER for FLUTD might have caused him to be so stressed out.. Anyway, I knocked the dosage down to 2.5 mg because he is a very small cat only 6.9 lbs. And it has been working. He is not as stressed out and no more peeing and yowling.. I will keep him on this for around 3-4 months as the Dr. suggests and then he said we will start to back off and see what happens.. But so far so good with my little guy.. He is only 2 1/2 years old and also has severe HCM. So he is also on other meds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats