Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:09 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,126,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Anybody here have cats that try to dig to CHINA????
Me! Me! Me! And he flings his litter all over the room while he is doing it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 08:06 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
That would be me. I've been trying to but the minute she sees the shears she starts hissing, so I may have to use the electric clippers to do the trim back there. Sigh...never thought I'd need to give my kitten a 'brazillian!' :-O
LM...you can also lower the volume of litter you use. So when he/she squats it won't be as high and get onto his rear bloomers.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:36 AM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
I use a homemade version of the CleverCat litter box and that cuts down on litter being thrown about. Although my cat still manages to track some out, I put down those nubby rubber welcome mats around the box and that catches the rest.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:12 PM

7 posts, read 50,456 times
Hi everybody,

I'm a first year veterinary student at UC Davis, and I am passionate about cats and helping people solve their litter box problems. I have 3 cats, and even though I am adamant about scooping the box and keeping it clean, sometimes there is still a "litter" odor that sits in my house.

I've come up with a few solutions that have eliminated my problems, so I thought I would share them with you. First, I modified a litter cabinet to contain the litter and dust. I've also placed one litter box in the fireplace that I never use. This litter box is used the most, and because I leave the damper open and air is continually moved up and out the chimney, odor is non-existent. I also have a cat that likes to dig to china, and the fireplace does a great job of containing the mess and litter dust.

I've recently started a website called litterboxsolutions.org, which you can find a detailed explanation of those ideas. I'm also investigating the implementation of an exhaust system to a litter box cabinet by using a cheap computer fan.

Good luck with everything! Please feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Old 02-17-2010, 07:46 AM

577 posts, read 2,059,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandkitten View Post
Crystals crystals crystals!!!
Crystal litter is getting harder for me to find. Is it being phased out for some reason? It's hard to find it in stores.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:51 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashburnite View Post
Crystal litter is getting harder for me to find. Is it being phased out for some reason? It's hard to find it in stores.
Our Target store is always fully stocked. More and more electric boxes are coming out, using the crystals, so I find it hard to believe they would stop manufactering it.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:38 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
Hi All
My (male) cat's litter box has a HORRIBLE ammonia urine smell. I clean it regularly, but it smells so bad. It is stinking up my whole apartment. I have to buy a new litter box ever couple of weeks and in a couple of days the smell is back. Any advice?! Thanks!
Not sure if you are using a liter liner, but if they are properly sized and you put enough littler in that the cat won't break it, It helps keep odor out of the litter pan.

Next, I would try a different brand of litter. Honestly crystal litter is the best at ammonia control but if you are like me and must use clay here is my advice.

I have a cat that really does not care much about what brand of litter I choose...so long as it is clay. In my experience Everclean was the best litter but it's cost/availability can be a turn off. It cost twice as much as the second best. It clumps hard and controls odors well.

Arm and hammer is a good second best and is easier to find.(Everclean is mostly at pet stores.). After that I would say Dr. Elsey and fresh step and other non-generic brands. Pet store generic brands I have not tried, but grocery store ones nearly made me run out the house!

Dr. Elsey clumps as hard as Everclean, but does not control odor quite as well. Fresh step is a little better at odor control but still marginal. Adding baking soda helps every kind of litter except everclean(they use something other than backing soda for odor control).

Clay/crystal mix litters are not worth it(except for one brand I used once where it was about 50/50 mix).The crystals seem in interfere a bit with the clumping and there generally are not enough to work with it. Clumping is helpful because it helps you get most of the waste out when you scoop. Soft clumping litters can sometimes be a problem cleaning.

However the biggest factor I have found in terms of odor really isn't litter.
It is the environmental conditions around the litter box. The worse place for a litter box is in a cool damp location like a basement. Heat seems the make the waste dry out faster and humidity seems to retard drying. Cool and damp turn into the worse conditions for it. Putting the littler box somewhere where it can dry out(like the fireplace suggestion) helps.

Finally when you change the bag, clean the box out with bleach then rinse and dry that really cuts the odor down. Oh and poor deeply for the litter. You do not want urine reaching the bottom of the litter pan. I have a cat that digs to china too, but I have a clever cat box. The liners are a pain to find at times, but it does contain the litter. However I am not sure how practical it is for most owners. It only comes in one size(that my cat just fits into and I can't imagine a kitten easily using it) and requires the cat to jump into it(i.e. perhaps not good for a older or sick animal). However it does contain the littler.

Last edited by chirack; 02-17-2010 at 08:51 AM..

Old 02-17-2010, 12:23 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
You can make your own version of the Clever Cat litter box, using any Rubbermade-type tote with a lid. I made mine (already had the rubber tote) so there was no need to spend $30 on it. My kitten took to it herself in her 15th week (I left it sitting near her regular pan litter). When I first made the Clever Cat version of the litter box, she was too little to jump up and use it. But she did it all on her own and now that's the only one I have out and it works great! I put some rubber doormats around the box to contain any tracked litter.

ETA: one more thing...I use 4 inches of WBCL (World's Best Cat Litter) in combo with other brands of clumping litter (for odor control) and NO urine ever reaches the bottom. Makes for easy daily cleanups and with nothing sticking to the sides or bottom, full litter box cleaning is also very quick and easy.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:43 PM

577 posts, read 2,059,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Our Target store is always fully stocked. More and more electric boxes are coming out, using the crystals, so I find it hard to believe they would stop manufactering it.
That's what I figured but the last few times I've looked at Target stores (including a Super Target) they haven't had any crystals. I was surprised.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:08 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
I have been using special kitty cat litter for yrs but lately the clay is small & dusty & lasts half as long. A 25 lb bag cost $3.17 + tax. I bought 3 bags today cause walmart is about 10 miles away & i have a gas guzzler car & gas is high.

Im going to try johnny cat or tidy cat next time.

I also have a cat thats trying to dig to china. Strange !

I do sprinkle baking soda over the cat litter after i clean the 3 boxes daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats