U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 10:53 AM

4,843 posts, read 12,551,000 times

Advertisements

Here's a chance to tell about something uncannily intelligent that your cat did for you or (much more likely) for themselves.
On New Year's Eve, I returned home from a week away to hear Weasie's usual litany of legit complaints about how the neighbor who catsits for her overfed her and didn't clean out the litter box enough. Where food is concerned, it's an old-hat ritual of ours to have a standoff over whether the Cat Chow still on her plate should be replaced with something tastier or at least fresher. Since there was about five days' supply available, I wrote off the continuing chatter to that. (Not helping matters was snow falling outside, which meant Weasie didn't want to leave the house yet was itching for a change of scenery.)
As the afternoon wore on, there came a loud scraping noise from the kitchen which sounded like a plastic object being dragged across a hard surface. I called out to make sure Weeze was OK, whereupon she promptly appeared and started up her nagging again. Not long after that, she finally consented to venture onto the back porch, which brought quiet back to the house and fresh air to her. Then when she was all set to come back in, the instant she was through the window the meowing resumed. She kept it up while walking into the kitchen, turning to make sure I was following. I figured I'd shake up her overloaded plate, and perhaps put some food on the floor since she likes eating that way for whatever reason.
Lo and behold: her kitty water cooler - which looks exactly like the humans' version except for the bowl at its base - had been pushed out about a foot into the middle of the floor. AND IT WAS EMPTY. Wasting no time, I turned on the sink faucet and filled the bottle with cool fresh "Cambridge Springs" H2O. She in turn, made a big show out of lapping long and loud from the replenished bowl. The scraping sound I'd heard (in case you hadn't guessed) had been from her moving the cooler, presumably with her head, as a way of saying "HELLO????? Hours of complaining have gotten me nowhere, maybe this will do the trick."
What a smart cat!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 01:41 PM

810 posts, read 1,286,492 times
When I had just one cat, I taught her to sit up and "speak" for her treats. I subsequently got two more cats, and I never had to teach them to do this...they learned in no time, simply by observing the first cat!

Old 01-03-2010, 02:23 PM

11,798 posts, read 23,576,640 times
When I lived in Denton, I had a Siamese cat named Shanghai (yes, I know that's a city in China, but Bangkok didn't sound so good). Anyway, as a pro musician, I was preparing to leave for my gig in Dallas and running a little late. I had a look at her litter box and found it somewhat stinky, but decided it would do until I returned six hours later.

When I got back home, I noticed a chunk of cat excrement perfectly located just south of the pillow on my bed! I started to get angry, but the perfection of the cat's show of displeasure had me laughing instead. I could imagine her thinking something along the lines of, "So that's how it's going to be? I'll show you!"

Old 01-03-2010, 02:33 PM

1,463 posts, read 3,962,149 times
I can pay attention to my cats day in and day out, but when I pack for a trip the begging for attention seems to get worse. It all starts with my luggage. I sometimes pack up for a weekend at my brothers with his kids. So the cats are paying close watch to what I pack. If it's a few changes of clothes and the usual bathroom junk- they just ignore me.

HOwever! The second I reach in the closest or laundry pile for my tennis umpire uniform that's when the game changes. It starts with usually Jensen getting in my suitcase and sitting there. I can move him out, only to turn my back and he returns.

Hackney will start in with his threatening claws on my carpet, side of bed, his box(es), phonebook...luggage I'm trying to pack......shoes in the closest......

Ami Cat starts in with her barganing fits of mmaaaaaa,maaarrrhhhh, blluuurrrp, BRRRRRRAAAAPPPPPPP as I pack. She jumps up on the bed and marches back and forth, back and forth, gets in the suitcase....gets out of suitcase......brraaap!

So I once tried packing my shirts without the cats noticing.....believe me they knew!

And when I come home for one of my tennis trips i always seem to find the bed sheets pulled off the bed, the pillows knocked down, my perfume bottles on the floor, and anything I had on the nightstand knocked off.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:47 AM

544 posts, read 1,384,419 times
I had a cat once that played fetch. I'd throw these little kitty balls at him or around him, and he'd pick one up and return it to me, wanting me to throw it again, like a dog would. I thought it was brilliant of him to do that. We did that for hours, sometimes.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:56 AM

672 posts, read 4,934,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odessa3 View Post
When I had just one cat, I taught her to sit up and "speak" for her treats. I subsequently got two more cats, and I never had to teach them to do this...they learned in no time, simply by observing the first cat!
Cool! I only have one cat and I taught her to roll over by command and sit by command for her treats. I also want to teach my future kitties this, maybe they can learn from Anastasia (the cat I have now).

She also plays fetch, but she only brings back the things I throw to our bedroom for some reason.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:57 PM

376 posts, read 1,720,201 times
Well, my old cat (passed away when he was 18) was the smartest cat I ever had. We installed a motion sensor light over the back door that would light up the driveway at night and had set it so that animals on the ground would NOT set it off (we used to live in the woods). The cat usually went out in the evenings for a few hours. After watching what happened when we went in and out the back door at night a few times, he learned that if he jumped from the porch railing in just the right spot, he could set the light off, thereby notifiying us that he was ready to come in for the night! He was one cool kitty.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:30 PM

4,825 posts, read 10,526,687 times
Shortly after reading this thread, I went into the bathroom downstairs. Shadow loves to accompany me to the bathroom and likes to get between the curtain and the liner. He hopped up on the tub edge and after taking a few swats at me through the curtain, emerged on the other end and reaches out and starts pushing the handle to try and flush the toilet (I'm still sitting on it!). Silly cat.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:32 AM

37,917 posts, read 67,630,217 times
My cats are cute, cuddly and affectionate, but smart they are not.

Although the spouse would disagree. He'd say Checkers was smart enough to find a couple of suckers that would adopt him, and then when he found those suckers (that'd be us, LOL), he went and fetched his sister so she could be adopted, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats